Supercharger for Subaru?

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:36 pm

Good to hear turning out OK. On the pedal pushing issue. It takes a bit to get used to riding the torque of less throttle opening of the turbo EA82T than the non turbo induction of foot flat to the floor. Am only thinking SC pedal operation is similar -

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:09 pm

Yeh, this is an odd sensation. Its like you have all the power you need at light throttle ascending a hill. This should be great when towing Steptoe.

Its overall a feeling that you wouldnt want to go back to non boost set up, its desirable and good.

What I dont understand is that for 90% of the time I'm not on boost, I'm on vacuum say -5 at 100-110kph cruising on the freeway and when on boost usually 1-2psi only unless I need a lot of power....but I still get poor economy. that doesnt seem reasonable to me jonno. after all its a 40dhla refurbished jetted now correctly. When Daniel at VWPC jetted it on Friday down from 225 to 180 main he did so bearing in mind that going smaller with the jets made the engine lean when on boost- a no no. So it is a little rich compared to non supercharged with the same carbie. being carbie you cant have it both ways.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:30 pm

Dont forget that the supercharger is using a fair bit of power. Ive read before that they can use a 3rd of the engines power, so you are most likely using more throttle and thus more fuel
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:11 pm

Yeh Gannon thats a point. it uses power to make power.

I'm now wondering if the newer SC's are more efficient in this regard. In particular the made in Asutralia sprintex sC. Its only 600cc but powers engines the size of the ea81. and can it be used in a draw thru set up? is it less friction? etc.

I'll be sticking with this one for some time but I feel more experienced now with the work I've done and could easily try a more modern one in the future.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:17 pm

Thats why the Toyota ones have a clutch
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:41 pm

Mine is a Toyota SC12 but you cant have a clutch on draw through. one reason FOR a blow thru set up I didnt think of.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:34 am

what about an enrichment circuit for boost only - could start with a solenoid, boost light switch and a small camping propane disposable can :D

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:55 am

steptoe wrote:what about an enrichment circuit for boost only - could start with a solenoid, boost light switch and a small camping propane disposable can :D
MMMMMM.... sounds like a NASA prototype. using the same theory you could put an injector into the manifold after the SC and inject fuel or water methanol at boost.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:11 pm

Gannon wrote:Dont forget that the supercharger is using a fair bit of power. Ive read before that they can use a 3rd of the engines power, so you are most likely using more throttle and thus more fuel
This is what I was talking about Tony - back before you had the SC. Can I see a blow through setup in the (near) future? :twisted:

Of course, the ultimate would be working out an EFI system with the SC on a throttle switch (half throttle or greater). I think the cameria single port EFI has been used in the past on the EA81's - not hard to water proof the ECU either - fellas in the US use an ammo box :D The trick would be working out if this EFI system would be up for the task of feeding the SC enough to get away with it safely ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

BaronVonChickenPants
General Member

Post by BaronVonChickenPants » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:10 pm

El_Freddo wrote:I think the cameria single port EFI has been used in the past on the EA81's - not hard to water proof the ECU either - fellas in the US use an ammo box :D The trick would be working out if this EFI system would be up for the task of feeding the SC enough to get away with it safely ;)

Cheers

Bennie
I was thinking about this myself this afternoon. Another commonly retrofitted EFI system is the SPFI EA Falcon system due to it's simplicity. Apparently it's just a matter of adjusting the throttle body and injector size to suit your application.

Jordan.
To become old and wise, first you must survive being young and dumb.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:59 pm

Actually saw a Camira on the road the other day. The fuel system could be hard to find now!

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:02 pm

With a slight leak in the manifold I've decided to track down some good gasket material for the supercharger especially the seal between the SC and both sides entry and exit.

Clark rubber have a material called Nitrile. Available in black 3mm or white 1.5-6mm (I think white is for food contact) Its 3mm thick and resembles basic black rubber. It is a massive $120 per metre 150mm wide. ouch! So bought 300mm strip for $40. But you dont normally use a lot.

Temp range is about -30 to +90 C. Suitable for petrol and oils.
Furthermore it might be reusable. I'll try it.
I was thinking about this myself this afternoon. Another commonly retrofitted EFI system is the SPFI EA Falcon system due to it's simplicity. Apparently it's just a matter of adjusting the throttle body and injector size to suit your application.
Possible. but am burnt out now working on it. Want to just ride it for a while esp with the warmer weather coming.. Will investigate it though.

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:47 pm

Today. I ripped off the manifolds both sides of the SC.

Carbie side- took advice from my dynoman and ground a wedge shape with the 8mm adapter to allow for the other end of the carbie to be raised so the acrbie effectively is angled towards the SC a little. Then the holes in the shortened manifold betweent he adapter and carbie were enlarged so the carbie could rotate a little so it is level. All done and had taken some pics but didnt have a memory card eh.

Intake side- Cut off the oval shaped vertical tube and replaced it with a 75mm gal pipe. Nicely fitted.. I noticed an adapter previously used on the weber 36/32 had all four mounting bolts inside the adapter where air anf fuel mix is. so utilised that idea to offset the pipe to make it almost vertical to the upper peice of manifold. This meant one bolt would be inside the tube. Some Devcon to make it all smooth inside and a little outside and its done.

All joins were doen with gaskets made from Nitrile from Clark rubber 3mm thick, easy to cut and seals beautifully.

Start up was the best its been since the weber was on it. 30 seconds and idle without choke was smooth. The nitrile gaskets compress well but not too soft. Hope they last. suppose to be suitable for fuel and they look like they would be reusable.

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:18 pm

Here is a pic of the new 75mm non squeezed tube. much better 100% seal.

This is the choke mount I made. Saves the cable doing a U-turn around the alternator. The u-turn at the forks was eliminated also by having the choke handle at the lcoking mechanism for the roof behind my right hand as I sit in the seat.

Direct and effective and no spring effect.

The airbox was fine tuned. the carbie just about level now, not tilted to the front much at all.

New mirrors on the side of the windscreen to be totally legal. A reversing camera along is not legal. The woring in the regs is Two mirrors.

The white wall inserts didnt last long. have a spare set but no point. Am going to lash out for some paint. it takes 3-4 coats.

Tweety goes into the auto elec next week for starter motor fix.

olddog642

Post by olddog642 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:26 pm

Now is that a fancy oil filler neck or is the cap not on
Hylton:evil::twisted:

Tweety goes into the auto elec next week for starter motor fix.

Image[/QUOTE]

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:30 am

Hyltton

I reversed the fillr tube in its mount then cut it half way and changed the angle so the top where the cap is is on that angle. Then had it wleded up where it was cut. This allows for easy top up without tilting the roof back then lifting the body- a practice you tend to tire of over time. I've dont these types of mods with many things on the trike for ease of access.

I've yet to install a 12V easy access point so I can hook up say a timing light without lifting the body.

Motto: when you run out of plans then plan it so you dont again :cool:

olddog642

good one

Post by olddog642 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:23 pm

I like it the easier you make it to do the checks the more likely they will be done and prevent future problems.
When you stop thinking and planning you stop living
Hylton

Tweety wrote:Hyltton

I reversed the fillr tube in its mount then cut it half way and changed the angle so the top where the cap is is on that angle. Then had it wleded up where it was cut. This allows for easy top up without tilting the roof back then lifting the body- a practice you tend to tire of over time. I've dont these types of mods with many things on the trike for ease of access.

I've yet to install a 12V easy access point so I can hook up say a timing light without lifting the body.

Motto: when you run out of plans then plan it so you dont again :cool:

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:41 pm

Too right olddog.

Well the economy issue is getting clearer. My wife followed me up the freeway today. A black misty wet cloud came out of the exhaust on several occasions. Seems accelerator jets of main are far too big maybe. Its running nice but very rich.

So on with the water injection, replace the airbox with a larger one of similar shape and back for a final dyno.

Water injection parts so far received:

VT-VY Commodore (black) washer bottle ebay $28.25 this with a long neck to reach up to the vent that gives access to the overflow bottle on the body. I found it has a 2.6 litre capacity. (from Carsareus) +postage.

Inline caravan carbon filter $47.95 free post

2x water atomising jets ($24 ea). part number B1/4TT+TX-4 (Assembly) 1mm oriface size. Think might need only one of these. as nozzle calculator suggests 0.60mm size but roots blowers take up to twice that amount.
Spraying Systems Co P/L 0393180511 (Vic)

Snow performance pump 150 psi is yet to arrive

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:01 pm

got a link to the pump Tony ?

And where are you planning to spray the moisture - pre filter like autospeeds ida? Id have thought you'd get a wettish paper element suddenly breathing like a , a , wet paper bag ???

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:49 am

This is it jonno.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SNOW-PERFORM ... 0889522236

the 150psi one.

my plan is to hook it all up off the engine and test it. I have those cut down trumpets and hope to mount the jet just outside one of them pointing directly into the throat with that red foam filter covering it so it wont wet anything.

The other option is that about an inch inside the throat is a grub screw with nut. It holds the inner barrell in place. Could tap that the size of the jet. The jet would be facing inwards and risk could be that some water will liquify on the other side of the barrell???? but maybe not as the air rushing past will take the vapour straight down the intake. what ya think?

The only thing I'm disappointed abotu is the actual size of the jet. is a bit bulky.

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”