Supercharger for Subaru?

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:46 pm

Kabbish guys?

Wondering what you mean.? It is a sensitive switch, blow and suck on it and it goes on/off easily. so vacuum off boost on. Which is what I should be after yes? Are you suggesting it wont work.?

Tony
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:04 pm

Why do you need it for only half a psi? I would have thought 2 psi would do for a point of turning on the water
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:56 pm

Probably right Gannon. But my thoughts were that some say the water will improve sealing of the lobes on the SC. Keep rising temps down and quell any detonation from the start of boost.

Pressure switches that turn on at 2-3 psi are common and easy to find. I'll replace this one if need be.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:23 pm

Tweety wrote:Wondering what you mean.? It is a sensitive switch, blow and suck on it and it goes on/off easily. so vacuum off boost on. Which is what I should be after yes? Are you suggesting it wont work.?
Nah mate, she'll be right! Just hope the SC isn't producing a half pound of boost that you can't see on the gauge...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:46 pm

That is a valid point. From my short experience riding the trike with boost I can say that power on vacuum is well in excess of power with the ea81 without the SC. Wonder why? Thats why I questioned a while ago if the boost guage was faulty. But I think that unlikely. Its a digital unit.

Maybe the 40dhla Dellorto is more efficient, as it doesnt have a progressive second throat. Or the Sc spinning all the time has a benefit. But using boost doesnt occur all that often really but its nice for it to be available. I suppose I'll only know when I install it. The pump is quiet so am thinkign a dashboard light telling me when the pump is operating is the go. Then I realsied that I dont have a failsafe system here. Meaning a water flow sensor. If the noxxle is blocked and the pump is on the sensor could tell me that and I'd ride without boost until I cleared the passage.

So two more warning lights.

Tweety started with a speedo, tacho, fuel gauge and some warning lights standard. in addition I'll have GPS, reverse camera, caravan electric brake controller, boost guage, flow sensor light, pressure switch light, wiper switch, airbag gauges for each of the 2 airbags, ejector switch for instant divorce (lol) and switches to turn on the compressor for same.

The next project is a larger custom designed dashboard. oh boy.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:05 am

or micro switches ? Think the answer in more power is the Dellorto and maybe the turbulence in the SC is doing wonders for the AF mix too.

I once tried a Volvo 2.3 litre throttle body on EA81 manifold opened up a little and once off lower revs BOG ,pulled just as hard as my twins - both breathing LPG+A through their systems. The rest of the intake was 50mm PVC pipes and bends :D

purp

Post by purp » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:05 am

Hey tweety, does the trike have airbags? Are they built into the bars or what?

I have seen personally ones for bike riders which are part of a best you wear, but it never occurred to me that you'd have 'em on a trike?

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:41 pm

purp wrote:Hey tweety, does the trike have airbags? Are they built into the bars or what?

I have seen personally ones for bike riders which are part of a best you wear, but it never occurred to me that you'd have 'em on a trike?
I think they're suspension airbags :rolleyes: Would like to see airbags deploy out of a bikes handle bars though!
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:06 pm

yeh suspension airbags

purp

Post by purp » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:48 pm

:oops:

I should have known that...

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:01 pm

Tweety wrote:Tweety started with a speedo, tacho, fuel gauge and some warning lights standard. in addition I'll have GPS, reverse camera, caravan electric brake controller, boost guage, flow sensor light, pressure switch light, wiper switch, airbag gauges for each of the 2 airbags, ejector switch for instant divorce (lol) and switches to turn on the compressor for same.

The next project is a larger custom designed dashboard. oh boy.
You know Tweety and Ruby Scoo have a lot in common! They both look relatively the same as what they were but really they've been modified to the hilt!

Keep up the good work :twisted: Careful though, you don't want to end up like one of those honda crusier things - limo on two wheels, why not buy the rest of the vechile??

Cheers

Bennie

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:06 pm

nah, its all practical stuff bennie. all the bits on the handlebars is real clutter. has to all have their own spot.

once the next dyno has been done its spruce it up time. got white wall paint (from Iceland, wondered what they did there) etc etc.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:09 pm

Tweety wrote:nah, its all practical stuff bennie.
Oi! My mods are all practical too :p

But yes, I know where you're coming from with the clutter etc. I too need to sort out some clutter on my dashboard.

Cheers

Bennie

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:42 pm

I recall the Valiant Charger dashboard.Think it had a polished stainless steel face. would like that. mine needs a peak at the top to shade the gps and reverse camera and warning lights. been looking for a large transformer box that I can modify but it has to have the top protruding forward and over the gauges. rectangle shape. about 14"wide x7"high x4"deep

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:54 pm

Some progress after two days working on this trike.

I've taken some advice to make certain there is no impeding of the airflow into the carbie. Used the base of the previous smaller airbox and installed a larger outer case.

But this time air wont just enter from the front but enter at all sides.

This will prevent the foam trumpet filters from getting wet.

Intalled most of the water injection system except the injector and pressure switch.

injector line was purchased from a hose retailer. got the 600psi stuff instead of 250psi.

So now I have to take off the inlet manifold to install the single injector, get an adapter for the pressure switch to be mounted on the ea81 manifold, fit a relay to the pump and wire up the pressure switch, eventually fir a low water warning light, also a no flow light and get that last dyno tune.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:09 am

Looking good, I bet you go down some jet sizes as well probably to around 130 - 140

:)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:27 am

yes Toonga I am very hopeful the jets will be much smaller. But of course we have been really worried to tunr it too lean and do damage on boost. hence the WI system.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:21 pm

the stock hitachi comes with jets in the range of 116-120 for the main and 150 -160 in the secondary main, this makes WOT between 266 and 280. currently your carby has 180 jets for 360 at WOT so theoretically you could come down to 145 + 145 = 290 and still be rich.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:00 pm

Thanks Toonga, makes sense. will pass that on to the dyno man

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:56 pm

Water injection is almost installed. waiting on a check valve/solonoid that stops dripping of water under vacuum without the pump going.

The electrical issues have been daunting. The regulator was faulty running 18volts. so it was replaced.
But the starting problem persisted when the engine was hot. How do you get it hot without someone at the auto elecs having a M/C license and goign for a spin? you let it idle for 30 minutes. but it restarted easily. It was only once the trike was ridden for 45 minutes from say Benalla to Bogie that it wouldnt restart till it cooled down after 20 minutes.

So diagnosis is now the dizzy module, that might have become impaired when 18 volts has been put through it and the coil.

Will know Thursday.

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”