subaru 1.8 L engine

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
nevilley

subaru 1.8 L engine

Post by nevilley » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:10 am

Hi, my Subaru 1.8L engine on the ute kept cutting out under load, would go ok under low revs but would cut out when power is needed, it would completely stop then i would leave the key on so the fuel pump was working and after a minute or so it would start again, .I put new filters on it but no change,so i decided to pull the carby apart to see if there where any blockages..WORST MISTAKE as after separating the carby i turned it over and a small plastic or ceramic ball and a needle similar to the one under under float fell out of the bottom half of carby,,,my question is what part of the carby did they fall out of... been trying to find on the web a exploded view to see if i can refit the parts but cant find anything....not sure if the ute is a 1982 or 5 (untill i go back to the farm to check the year on the vehicle),,any suggestions on why it cut out under load or where the needle and small ball are located on carby would be greatly appreciated....

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:09 am

good fine, looks like a older toyota to me but im not a expert on the 70's cars
2004 subaru forester -gone
1999 subaru forester- no more :(
1989 subaru brumby- sold!
2008 zook jimny -sold!
2003 mitsubishi pajero - missus car
2013 nissan d22- set up for long distant touring

B00sting

Post by B00sting » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:19 pm

-So in which location did you replace the fuel filters? Because on mine there was one under the rear passenger side of car next to the fuel pump, and there was one in the engine bay. So if you have two like I did obviously make sure both were replaced.

-Make sure your fuel lines aren't blocked up.

-Have you let it run out of petrol recently, maybe that stirred up some gunk which is giving you problems?

-Maybe the fuel pump is near the end of it's life?

-Was it only cutting out under load, is this a rough farm Ute or does it have some sort of maintenance history?

-I'll have a look in my Gregory's manual for a carburettor diagram and report back later. Maybe I can scan and put up here.
Brumby 1992: EA81, 15" peugot steelies, 2" ********* body lift, tonneau cover, bullbar, GME UHF, ARB compressor, ********* rear diff protector, SOLD

-97 Landcruiser :D

nevilley

Re subaru fuel probs

Post by nevilley » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:30 pm

Hi BOOsting thanks for your reply, my subaru was previously registered for the road and has been looked after with regular services etc.. delicensed it due to rust in the tray (self inflicited by leaving damp hay bales in back)...it has two fuel filters the same location as yours.,IE above rear wheel and one in engine bay.. the fuel pump underneath and forward of fuel tank seems to work ok as it squirts out petrol from the hose that goes into the fuel filter in engine bay and i hear it ticking away....mine is a march 1985 model 1.8L...

revmax

Post by revmax » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:04 pm

The ball is the check valve for the accelerator pump and simply goes down the hole for the pump. I have lost two of those darn balls.
"THE BRUMBY ! , Your not taking the Brumby I just dry cleaned the mud flaps."
Current
00 Outback with class, SOHC EJ25 auto 240,068ks
"B1" 90 Brumby with character 271,800K EA81 (But soon 5speed,103,000k EJ202)
"B2" wrecked and crushed
"B3" 89 Bush Bashing Brumby (BeeRumBee) Kept a Bucca
"B4" 89 Black Brumby (wam balam ) Kept at Kempsey
"B5" 92 Brumby (sold it)
"B6" 88 Beige Brumby
"W1" 83 wagon 308,000 AC and alot of rust repairs. (Wanda)
Brumby Trailer (Sulky)
LUV THAT BRUM !
RevMax Hobbies

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”