Want to Rebuild EA81

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri May 03, 2013 6:25 pm

We don't know if it was a freebie machine job - with that sort of currency there is no clock or calendar about :)

Turn the flywheels over to make sure it is the same at the back. EA82 and EA81 flywheels differ on the other side.

The difference between EA82 225mm flywheel and EA81 225mm flywheel is in the step, one is 21mm, the other 23mm - make sure whatever way you go the step of the flywheel matches the step of the clutch
As for crank holes between EA81 and 2 - dunno yet !

I spacered my starter out with a simple cut out of 1.6mm aluminium sheet from memory

555Ron

Post by 555Ron » Fri May 03, 2013 7:51 pm

Silverbullet wrote:Oooooooooooh me likey that one piece tail shaft! how much did it cost ya? :p
Well... $550 :-| if I am going to be honest. It was a business that serviced the mines, the other one in town I rang said they couldn't do it with all the work they had from mining companies. (things in the mining sector are meant to be slow??) I mean I know I paid too much in comparison to what others have paid but it looks like they did a good job. As long as it's centered and balanced I don't mind paying extra for a job to be done correctly. I was expecting around $300... but it wasn't to be. (Ohh, and I love this car - no expense spared for my baby!)
4 months is a ridiculous waiting time :( Don't care how busy they are that is unacceptable IMO. Obviously don't know much about Subarus if they put the gear on backwards, and telling you they checked the end float like that...something smells fishy here.
Yeah, it's not totally their fault. They didn't order the pistons as I had asked so I got a little annoyed and did it myself. They were always promising to ring me but never did which just annoys me. I value honesty and I just don't trust them. To be fair the work they did looks top notch but only time will tell.

The Wiseco pistons were a special order that had to be made - took over a month but I knew that when I ordered. It's all a learning curve and if I build another engine (I hope so) I would be more organised/do things differently. But that is part of the fun...
steptoe wrote:Turn the flywheels over to make sure it is the same at the back. EA82 and EA81 flywheels differ on the other side.

The difference between EA82 225mm flywheel and EA81 225mm flywheel is in the step, one is 21mm, the other 23mm - make sure whatever way you go the step of the flywheel matches the step of the clutch
As for crank holes between EA81 and 2 - dunno yet !

I spacered my starter out with a simple cut out of 1.6mm aluminium sheet from memory
L series and EA82 are swear words at my house. ;) It's a flywheel off a late model Brumby. I have been to the clutch shop to ask about getting a clutch kit. He seemed very knowledgeable and he said there is only two clutches for the Brumby/L-Series. The 8" and 8 3/4" - the splines, pressure plates etc are the same. So I'm not understanding the 1.5mm machining off the face and what it achieves - is it just so you don't have to space out the starter, or is it to get the correct clamping pressure on the clutch? I mean I am happy to get it done but I just don't understand what I am achieving. I like to create the illusion that I have some idea when I go to the shop...

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat May 04, 2013 7:36 am

Only two clutches for the Brumby/ L Series - he left a bit out of that statement :)

Starting with is the step of the flywheel between MY and L - the 21 and 23mm, not same clutch pressure plate - believe me, I fitted a 21mm pressure plate where a 23mm step was involved in 225mm dia stuff - just driveable but gear cruncher :(

EA82 FWD non turbo uses smaller 200mm, turbo EA82 uses 225mm

As the Brumby box remains the same with two clutch diameters, the two clutches to suit need to cater for the splines of the 4 speed input shaft being different to the L Series five speeds.

If you have an L Series there seems to be two choices of clutch FWD or 4WD.

Don't bother machining the face to suit starter - I found when I fitted my 5 speed, others were quoting various spacer thicknesses to confuse issue and can now confirm checked my notes , I made a 4.0 mm thick aluminium sheet spacer for between starter motor and bellhousing - looks a bit like a big thermostat housing gasket or single port exhaust gasket!

555Ron

Post by 555Ron » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:27 pm

Ok, well the engine and gearbox are out so I'm trying to get things moving. I want to get the 5 speed in first so...
Pommiebrat wrote:1. You will have to adapt the mounts from your old MY box in order to mount the L-series box. If you have alook you will see that lengtheneing the mounting holes on each bracket so they become slots allows them to fit. You will also have to make the holes in the gearbox cross-member into slots as well. Its a lot easier than it sounds and all bolts up fine.
So I use the MY mounting system including the cushion rubbers onto the MY cross member to get the gearbox in?

Does anyone have the wiring conversion cheat sheet?
I am going to mod the linkages as shown in this thread...
showthread.php?t=11821&page=4
From these photo's it looks like Rick is going to use the MY dual range lever.
Does anyone know if it is that simple to use the MY lever. (looks like MY and L levers have been welded together?) I have never seen one converted to keep the existing lever. Would be nice to be able to get 4wd going straight away...

I also want to polish up the old bull-bar... can anyone recommend whats best to use on alloy? It's in pretty good nick for its age.
- Rhys
91 Brumby

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:58 am

I used MY metal mounts that bolt to side of the L 5 speed, just elongated the holes in bracket, one upwards , other downwards on one side anyway.

The KISS theory I applied was keep the L levers for 1-5 and R and hi / lo on the box, cut the floor hole a little larger to suit, and used L series console inside - no lever cut and weld - corr, imagine the dodgy weld breaking loose on ya !

I hope I tossed the MY levers, coz I certainly tossed the MY box - after seven years :D

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:07 pm

555Ron wrote:Image
Does anyone know if it is that simple to use the MY lever. (looks like MY and L levers have been welded together?) I have never seen one converted to keep the existing lever. Would be nice to be able to get 4wd going straight away...
I'm so going to steal this idea when I get around to a 5 speed swap. Looks pretty simple!
steptoe wrote:The KISS theory I applied was keep the L levers for 1-5 and R and hi / lo on the box, cut the floor hole a little larger to suit, and used L series console inside - no lever cut and weld - corr, imagine the dodgy weld breaking loose on ya !
True, but if you're going to do this you do it properly! If you're really worried there's always the trick of sleeving the shaft so there's three weld points on it = more strength and that piece of mind for those that need it.

I'm keen to keep the MY interior all MY, including the 4wd lever - no one would ever know until they either drove it or looked at the gear lever knob ;)

As for the polishing question, i really don't know, but to keep the shine spray it with a clear coat, otherwise it will eventually go back to that powdery look...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

555Ron

Post by 555Ron » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:34 pm

Took it back a little further then required and cleaned it up... Painted Gen 1 Liberty white looks really nice!
This is as close as I can get to getting the P/S rack into position. Anyone know if you have to take the steering stem off to get it into the engine cross member?
- Rhys
91 Brumby

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:11 pm

Took it back a little further then required and cleaned it up... Painted Gen 1 Liberty white looks really nice!

looking very nice did you paint the whole car that colour?
This is as close as I can get to getting the P/S rack into position. Anyone know if you have to take the steering stem off to get it into the engine cross member?
you will need to drill that plate off and then bolt it back on once the rack is in place.

thats how I got mine in

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

555Ron

Post by 555Ron » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:46 pm

Cheers Toonga. Just the engine bay and tray got sprayed. The rest of the car has been done before I purchased it.
- Rhys
91 Brumby

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:07 am

I slide manual racks into that space from one particular side - no need to drill out large spot welds or find bolts to bolt the brace back in. I do know I have done the TOONGA method before, can't recall what or why .....

555Ron

Post by 555Ron » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:11 pm

steptoe wrote: I do know I have done the TOONGA method before, can't recall what or why .....
The stem for the manual racks unbolts but the power steering stem is integral to the rack. I would think the Toonga method is the only way for power steering setups.
- Rhys
91 Brumby

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:41 pm

so how did Fuji get them in ?

555Ron

Post by 555Ron » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:28 pm

OK, you can probably unbolt the stem but it is a sealed part of the rack and I wouldn't like to try it on in case it falls apart in a million pieces. Its been rebuilt and is under warranty...

I'm confident it could be done without breaking the spot welds it's just a matter of how far the rack has to be disassembled. Breaking the spot welds sounds like a really good idea to me...
- Rhys
91 Brumby

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:57 am

Would be interesting to see a Manual Vs Auto - Engine Cross Member side by side as they came from factory, to see what differences are ... :)

Lets' see if we can find some pictures to illustrate ... ;)

Courtesy of our friends at Ultimate Subaru :

Top is Power & bottom Manual cross member ...

Note : you'd also have to drill some holes for the fluid lines if converting a Manual ... :)

Ciao, Bantum ...

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:05 am

Oh, maybe there is a difference in the engine cross member - with the PS ones not got that brace spot welded like a man steering one?

555Ron

Post by 555Ron » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:24 pm

Seems likely. The spot welded brace is for the bash plate to bolt onto, so perhaps the touring wagons don't come with a bash plate? I will have to have a look under mine...
- Rhys
91 Brumby

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:28 pm

555Ron wrote:The stem for the manual racks unbolts but the power steering stem is integral to the rack. I would think the Toonga method is the only way for power steering setups.
It can be removed and the PS rack slid in without issue, so it's not the only way to do it ;)
steptoe wrote:Oh, maybe there is a difference in the engine cross member - with the PS ones not got that brace spot welded like a man steering one?
That's about it. Manual steering engine crossmember spot welded, power steering engine crossmember bolted on.
555Ron wrote:Seems likely. The spot welded brace is for the bash plate to bolt onto, so perhaps the touring wagons don't come with a bash plate? I will have to have a look under mine...
Touring wagons have a bash plate from factory, its bolted on to that "jacking plate" (as the newer subaru owners call it) that's bolted onto the engine crossmember.

Drill the welds, replace with bolts or remove the stem of the steering rack - there's a reason why there's allen keys needed to remove the stem on the steering rack ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

555Ron

Post by 555Ron » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:19 pm

Ok, the rack is bolted into the cross member, I just need to get some M10 bolts to get the jacking point back into position.

Now... moving onto the 5 speed gearbox conversion...
1. You will have to adapt the mounts from your old MY box in order to mount the L-series box. If you have alook you will see that lengtheneing the mounting holes on each bracket so they become slots allows them to fit. You will also have to make the holes in the gearbox cross-member into slots as well. Its a lot easier than it sounds and all bolts up fine.
So my Brumby will be standard ride height - which makes the fatter L series box a little tight in the transmission tunnel I believe. Does anyone know if I should lengthen both MY mounting plate holes equally or can I use the use the top hole and lengthen the bottom to get the box sitting lower.
2. There is a lump on the rear right top of the gearbox which has an M10 tapped hole in it. It does nothing but when the gearbox is mounted in the vehicle it knocks against the transmission tunnel. I cut mine off with a dremel multitool.
Is this correct? I can't see a bolt doing nothing that looks like it should be removed. I may have to get some photos...?
- Rhys
91 Brumby

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:52 am

Just get a rat tail file ready for the job of elongating the holes so the bracket ends up even on the box. I have fading memory that it might be the LHS bracket fits without mods and the RHS gets the elongation to both holes, in opposite direction, or the both sides get an elongation, one of the top hole down, the other side, bottom hole up , something like that - you will see.

You cant see a bolt doing nothing huh ? It is a threaded boss ready to accept an M10 bolt , that is the lump to remove. Were some good pics somewhere of it..... the lump is right up at th back of the shifter top bit, back right of manually selecting 4WD dual range boxes, dunno if you have an electric assist shifting type box

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:07 pm

Something I don't get about adapting the MY gearbox mounts to work; are the mounting points on the L series gearbox slanted? Like on the L series x-member the gearbox mounting points are slanted. I keep thinking shoving a straight up and down MY gearbox mount into an angled L series gearbox would put a lot of stress on the already excessively fragile MY gearbox mounts...if that makes any sense whatsoever :confused:

Just typing it out and thinking about it though it would make more sense if the mounting points on the L gearbox were actually straight up and down, and the gearbox mount itself has the angled bit to mate up to the L series cross member.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”