Why would they use LSD oil?

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
LIFTED

Why would they use LSD oil?

Post by LIFTED » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:13 pm

I was looking through the service records of the 2.0l auto forester I just bought and it says they have used LSD oil, but I didn't think this car had and LSD diff. Any one know why they might have used this? Does it matter?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] ..........................................92 Lib 98 Foz 99 GT Foz :roll: ..................................................

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:13 pm

Our Forester X (base model) has a rear LSD

Otherwise it might be workshop practice to always use LSD oil. That way mistakes cant be made and non LSD oil put in a LSD diff
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:47 pm

I use LSD gear oil in both the gearbox and the rear diff - it might cost a little bit extra but the boys at the local parts joint tell me it will handle higher gearbox temps better than regular oil. I have noticed that the box is smoother to shift now.

But as Gannon said, it probably makes sense for a mechanic shop to stock only one oil and use the same in all diffs etc to avoid mistakes.

I wouldn't be concerned unless they put it in the auto transmission, but you'd know about that in no time!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:36 am

El_Freddo wrote:I use LSD gear oil in both the gearbox and the rear diff - it might cost a little bit extra but the boys at the local parts joint tell me it will handle higher gearbox temps better than regular oil. I have noticed that the box is smoother to shift now.

But as Gannon said, it probably makes sense for a mechanic shop to stock only one oil and use the same in all diffs etc to avoid mistakes.

I wouldn't be concerned unless they put it in the auto transmission, but you'd know about that in no time!

Cheers

Bennie
Bennie has hit the nail. Thats correct.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

LIFTED

Post by LIFTED » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:05 pm

Thanks ! :-)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] ..........................................92 Lib 98 Foz 99 GT Foz :roll: ..................................................

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”