interchangeable CV shafts Vortex & L Series to

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
steptoe
Master Member

interchangeable CV shafts Vortex & L Series to

Post by steptoe » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:48 am

these beasts are the same front underpinnings aren't they ?
CV shafts same length and all that to enable swaps ?

I know turbo and mpfi EA82 4WD gearboxes are 25 splines on front shaft stubs,
I know the 3 speed auto are 23 spline - same as non turbo 4WD manuals....

the big but - what is the spline count of EA82T 5 speed manual FWD ?? as in the Vortex??

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:51 pm

I think they're the same item.

As for the fwd turbo spline count I would say these are 23 spline count. Imagine the confusion on the production line if a 2wd turbo box with 25 spline output shafts ends up in a Leone with 23 spline drive shafts...

I thought the autos would be the same system - 25 spline for MPFI and 23 for carb EA82s. The MPFI touring wagon with 4wd auto is 23 spline count. That surprised me!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:13 pm

90% sure all turbo manuals have the 25 spline shafts . Much of what an XT4 has RX Turbos have too , except the SR AWD box in the later ones - and the Spider inlet manifold etc . These aside I think the drivelines and brakes are interchangeable .

A .

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:10 am

El_Freddo wrote:I think they're the same item.

As for the fwd turbo spline count I would say these are 23 spline count. Imagine the confusion on the production line if a 2wd turbo box with 25 spline output shafts ends up in a Leone with 23 spline drive shafts...

I thought the autos would be the same system - 25 spline for MPFI and 23 for carb EA82s. The MPFI touring wagon with 4wd auto is 23 spline count. That surprised me!

Cheers

Bennie
Mighta surprised the assembly line workers too :D
Disco returns is another surprise !

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:53 pm

steptoe wrote:Disco returns is another surprise !
Well, it shouldn't be a surprise - you've been doing the "come back disco dance" for long enough!

We need to find someone with a 2wd turbo vortex to confirm the issue. I don't know of any turbo two wheel drive leone's getting around from the factory...

Cheers

Bennie

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:43 pm

From my learnings with Subaru, and this relates from 1985 onwards, is that all EFI, whether they are 2WD or 4WD, all have 25 spline output shafts on the gearbox.

I have never pulled apart my MY Turbo sedan to see or count the splines on that
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:11 pm

I forgot about the rule with the 4wd gearboxes, never thought about it for the 2wd boxes though.

I swear I've got a 2wd impreza box at M&D's that has 23 spline count on the diff output stubs - and I highly doubt this gearbox has ever been split before.

Cheers

Bennie

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:17 am

RSR 555 wrote:From my learnings with Subaru, and this relates from 1985 onwards, is that all EFI, whether they are 2WD or 4WD, all have 25 spline output shafts on the gearbox.

I have never pulled apart my MY Turbo sedan to see or count the splines on that

Paul is probably correct, because he call it a gearbox. The 4WD auto transmissions of 85 GLTA were 23 spline, just not sure on the 4WD 4 speed E4AT of the late GLTA's and Vortex - they may be 25 spline
Stupid thing is the inside spline in the diff of 23 spline stubs is 25 I think ??

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:23 am

El_Freddo wrote:I swear I've got a 2wd impreza box at M&D's that has 23 spline count on the diff output stubs - and I highly doubt this gearbox has ever been split before.
Oh.. I think you got me on this one Bennie. I do remember getting an EJ15 Impreza 1/2 cut with a 2WD manual box (back when Impreza was first released) and it had 23 spline shafts.
steptoe wrote:Paul is probably correct, because he call it a gearbox. The 4WD auto transmissions of 85 GLTA were 23 spline, just not sure on the 4WD 4 speed E4AT of the late GLTA's and Vortex - they may be 25 spline
Stupid thing is the inside spline in the diff of 23 spline stubs is 25 I think ??
Oh really Jonno.. the auto EFI model has the smaller spline?
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:31 am

Yup, sure did :) made the swap to a plain jane manual 5 speed 4WD so much easier

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:52 pm

Yeah I bet it would but swapping complete shaft isn't that hard

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:56 am

Agreed, but at that point I had just fitted up new valve springs to fix a funny miss. Considering I had just had the heads serviced by all heads, put engine together, installed in car, found miss, told by them it would not be valve spring causing my miss - try new lifters, so had done them in car, cleaned up cam box grooves, assembled things again only to have to pull engine out to do those springs - while out and apart I did the manual conversion - after all that crap, all I wanted to do was see if the marshmallow springs were the cause of the miss (they were, thanks very much all head staff!!) and how good would it be in 5 speed form .....Yee HAH !!

So, you can see why I was happy not to have to undo anymore than necessary :)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:00 pm

steptoe wrote:So, you can see why I was happy not to have to undo anymore than necessary :)
Hence why I've gone EJ - when the time comes anyway :rolleyes:

:P

Sounds like a pretty crap time though. Those cam boxes are not fun to deal with at the best of times let alone while it's all still in the engine bay! I hope your back is still good!

Cheers

Bennie

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:10 pm

Got the old EA82 mastered by now I think - that conversion was 71,000 km ago :)

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:51 am

steptoe wrote:Agreed, but at that point I had just fitted up new valve springs to fix a funny miss. Considering I had just had the heads serviced by all heads, put engine together, installed in car, found miss, told by them it would not be valve spring causing my miss - try new lifters, so had done them in car, cleaned up cam box grooves, assembled things again only to have to pull engine out to do those springs - while out and apart I did the manual conversion - after all that crap, all I wanted to do was see if the marshmallow springs were the cause of the miss (they were, thanks very much all head staff!!) and how good would it be in 5 speed form .....Yee HAH !!

So, you can see why I was happy not to have to undo anymore than necessary :)
All I see is.. wah, wah, wah.. had it all apart and forgot to change the shafts over.. now it's all back together, I CBF pulling them out again :p:p:p

hahahahaha.. I'm the same ;)

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”