Drive belt tensioner -Outback Diesel

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
Scotty

Drive belt tensioner -Outback Diesel

Post by Scotty » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:18 pm

Hi Guys

Had my Subaru Outback Diesel for coming up 3 years in June and currently have 153000km on the clock. So far it has been great however in the last 20000km I have 3 new drive belt tensioners start leaking and consequently make the belt very loose and make my engine incredibly noisy.

Subaru have told me every time that it wont be damaging my engine driving the car. It is booked in again for this week to get looked at again and a new drive belt tenionser to be put on the car under warranty.

Surely there is something that is causing these drive belt tensioners to break? Have you guys got any suggestions.

Also do you think me driving the car with a loose drive belt could cause any damage?

I plan to do about 300000km on this car so I want to be making sure I look after it.

Subyroo

Post by Subyroo » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:28 pm

Scotty wrote:Also do you think me driving the car with a loose drive belt could cause any damage?
Ask yourself this: "If having a loose drive belt is not a problem, then why does it need a tensioner in the first place"?

MPO, I wouldn't be driving unless it was a matter of life or death, at least not until it was repaired. If Subaru says it's fine to drive "as is" then get them to put it in writing (bet you won't get that) to cover any damage that surfaces later on and points back to this problem in the first place.
At least have some sort of paper trail, not that Subaru - Dealership will like it.
Peter

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:44 pm

Cheers Peter. You make a good point

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:42 pm

Subyroo wrote:If Subaru says it's fine to drive "as is" then get them to put it in writing (bet you won't get that) to cover any damage that surfaces later on and points back to this problem in the first place.
At least have some sort of paper trail, not that Subaru - Dealership will like it.
Couldnt agree more!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”