EJ20 N/A missing on all 4 cylinders

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
taza
General Member

EJ20 N/A missing on all 4 cylinders

Post by taza » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:19 pm

Well I was doing some nuts the other night offroad to celebrate my 200,000km tick over on the Forester then all of a sudden it was running shitter than usual.

There is a miss on all 4 cylinders, I have checked with a timing light. Changed all spark plugs, leads and put a new coil pack on. New knock sensor and reset the ECU.

It's still running extremely shit and I would atleast like it to run on all 4 properly...

I thought about the crank angle sensor, but then the car wouldn't crank only turn over so I'm not sure that it's that. What about the timing belt, could that of jumped a tooth causing the car to run like shit?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Taz

Oh: got my EJ25 heads back from the engine shop :cool: The rest of the block goes in on Monday for a light hone and clean up... :D

Heads are fully recon'ed. New valves, valve springs, VSS, pressure tested, cleaned up and all the rest... I thought about a bigger cam but I'll leave it for now ;)

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:39 pm

What is the fuel like? Contaminated fuel? And is the pump working well?
Is the timing belt in correct position/lined up?
Wont be related - MAP/MAF sensor?
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:42 pm

I have fueled up 4 tanks since this has happened and that has changed nothing. It does it at all revs, including idle.
I haven't checked the fuel pressure...
I haven't checked the timing belt, but I thought that it could be possible that it has stretched and jumped a tooth... It is way over due but since I'm putting a new engine in in a few weeks I wasn't going to bother changing it..

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:57 pm

taza wrote:I have fueled up 4 tanks since this has happened and that has changed nothing. It does it at all revs, including idle.
I haven't checked the fuel pressure...
I haven't checked the timing belt, but I thought that it could be possible that it has stretched and jumped a tooth... It is way over due but since I'm putting a new engine in in a few weeks I wasn't going to bother changing it..
If the timing belt was stretched - it wouldn't line up... hard thing but you will have to count how many teeths (because the markers would have worn off) in between if it didn't line up - if you were there you might as well replace it to new one.

How about any leakage in air manifold section from airbox to inlet manifold? (engine wouldn't idle if there was a leak)

Compression issue?
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:23 am

Wow.. heads look good Taz :cool:

I would look for a hose off somewhere and there is a possibility the belt may have skid/jumped a tooth but you'll only find out by removing the covers.

Let get this right, you were out flogging the crap out of your car and you're wondering why the gearbox is giving you trouble :rolleyes:
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:23 pm

taza wrote:There is a miss on all 4 cylinders, I have checked with a timing light.
How did the timing light tell you there was a miss? Irregular flashes I'd guess at a set rev - if they were regular all is good there.

If it has in fact jumped a tooth or two on the belt there must be something wrong with the cam belt system and this could get much worse very soon - I had a bearing collapse on an idler pulley after being in a puddle of water.

If you have skipped a tooth or two it must have either been done on the crank gear so that both cams are the same out or both cams must be out differently. Either way it will never be smooth under any conditions - it will always be lumpy - VERY noticeably lumpy...
taza wrote:I thought about a bigger cam but I'll leave it for now ;)
If you're ever going to go for a cam now is the best time to do it with the heads on the bench - once in the car it'll be a pot load harder to do (but still possible).

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:12 am

Pretty common on earlier rally cars to jump/skip a tooth or 2 on the belt. This was mainly due to high revs and on/off loads very quickly. The later EJ engines, Subaru fitted a retainer over the top of the crankshaft pulley.

I'm not saying this is definitely what's happened but I wouldn't rule it out. You might also want to check that your coil isn't 'tracking' to the manifold. This happens quite a few times on engines that are around dust a lot.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:45 am

retainer ? Is that the extra gadget in the box that Gates? are claiming to include to better safeguard your new belt install ?

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:08 am

You might also want to check that your coil isn't 'tracking' to the manifold.
+1

Seen this a few times, best to check it out at night time
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:39 am

Give your keys to your mum and buy a bicycle

That should solve your gearbox and engine problem.

:)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:44 am

steptoe wrote:retainer ? Is that the extra gadget in the box that Gates? are claiming to include to better safeguard your new belt install ?
Nope.. factory fitted by Subaru. Will post pic later
Gannon wrote:Seen this a few times, best to check it out at night time
Makes it a lot easier ;) and fun to watch
TOONGA wrote:Give your keys to your mum and buy a bicycle

LOL.. it would save a lot of headaches :D

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

akpv

Post by akpv » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:01 pm

Sounds like you have ruled out the ignition system.

I would be checking

Timing belt alignment
Water temp sensor
AFM

Can you check error codes in this model?

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:21 pm

RSR 555 wrote: LOL.. it would save a lot of headaches :D
Yeah and I would be able to buy a nice recon gearbox for my brumby :)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:44 am

TOONGA wrote:Yeah and I would be able to buy a nice recon gearbox for my brumby
You would buy Taza's gearbox :rolleyes:

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:15 pm

RSR 555 wrote:Wow.. heads look good Taz :cool:
Thanks, I'm happy with them. The rest of the block is going in for a light hone and clean up on Monday(tomorrow).
I would look for a hose off somewhere and there is a possibility the belt may have skid/jumped a tooth but you'll only find out by removing the covers.
All the hoses seem fine.
Let get this right, you were out flogging the crap out of your car and you're wondering why the gearbox is giving you trouble :rolleyes:
Yes I was flogging it but I am kind on the gearbox and gear changes. Been there and done that, learnt my lesson! Plus once your in the right gear all you do is hit the gas pedal to go sideways :P
El_Freddo wrote:How did the timing light tell you there was a miss? Irregular flashes I'd guess at a set rev - if they were regular all is good there.
Irregular flashes every 5-6 flashes it would miss one. All 4 clylinders did this at different times. The engine runs really lumpy :(
If it has in fact jumped a tooth or two on the belt there must be something wrong with the cam belt system and this could get much worse very soon - I had a bearing collapse on an idler pulley after being in a puddle of water.
Possibly, this was a used engine with 200,000km on it when I got it. I know nothing about the history of it.
If you have skipped a tooth or two it must have either been done on the crank gear so that both cams are the same out or both cams must be out differently. Either way it will never be smooth under any conditions - it will always be lumpy - VERY noticeably lumpy...
This is what it is like.
If you're ever going to go for a cam now is the best time to do it with the heads on the bench - once in the car it'll be a pot load harder to do (but still possible).
Problem is $$$ otherwise my EJ25 would of been in months ago.
RSR 555 wrote:Pretty common on earlier rally cars to jump/skip a tooth or 2 on the belt. This was mainly due to high revs and on/off loads very quickly. The later EJ engines, Subaru fitted a retainer over the top of the crankshaft pulley.
Interesting, this would explain it.
You might also want to check that your coil isn't 'tracking' to the manifold. This happens quite a few times on engines that are around dust a lot.
My car is around heaps of dust most of the time, could possibly explain the clutch/gearbox issues too :confused:
The coil isn't tracking, I checked the other night..
TOONGA wrote:Give your keys to your mum and buy a bicycle

Haha, it's a love hate relationship with my Foreser..

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:31 pm

taza wrote:Irregular flashes every 5-6 flashes it would miss one. All 4 clylinders did this at different times. The engine runs really lumpy :(
Just refreash my memory, how old are your spark plug leads?
taza wrote:My car is around heaps of dust most of the time, could possibly explain the clutch/gearbox issues too :confused:
The coil isn't tracking, I checked the other night..
Ok. Who installed the box?

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:44 pm

RSR 555 wrote:Just refreash my memory, how old are your spark plug leads?
New
Ok. Who installed the box?
Guy and me

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:14 am

taza wrote:Guy and me
There's your problem right there :p

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:01 am

is this crank angle thing ? Not the sensor but the ring that the sensor reads, got lots a teeth or cuts in disc and something weird broken or stuck on teeth ?

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:12 am

Can you read the ecu codes Taza? Should at least be able to determain if a sensor has failed by what the codes say.

How well do Subaru's usually run open loop?

Regards

Doug

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”