EJ25 Timing Belt Alignment

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
bullifamilie

EJ25 Timing Belt Alignment

Post by bullifamilie » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:49 pm

Tying to get started on my project to put an EJ25 into my Volkswagen transporter, but proceeding with caution.

MY EJ25 came out of a 2000 Liberty that had had a front end impact. The radiator fans had pushed back into the cam cover. I ran the engine and drove it round the block a couple of times before I stripped the car, it ran well, pulled hard and showed no faults using EVOSCAN.

On removing the cover I noticed some damage to the RHS cam pulley and the Cam doesn't line up with the other cam and the crank. see the pictures;

So I've convinced myself it's wrong and it probably slipped when the car was crashed, what can't understand is how well it drove and it wasn't showing any faults. Is my RHS cam a long way out? How should it drive? What other damage will/could have been done?

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:17 pm

It's definitely out by 2 teeth on the LH side (remember to always think of the engine in situ). With it like this, the engine will still run and probably a little rough. If you thought it ran well with it like this, then you're in for a surprise when you have it correct and in the VW :p

It will not cause any other damage, unless the camshaft has been pushed backwards. For this (and also because the engine is out), I would replace the Rocker Cover Gaskets (do the bolt and spark plug seals too) and whilst they are off, have a look at the Camshafts and look for any cracks in the Camshaft caps (holders).
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

bullifamilie

Post by bullifamilie » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:43 pm

Thanks for the reply. Just been watching some video's I made and it does seem a bit rough/shakey at idle, I thought this might be due to the big exhaust and it needing a good service.

I've bought a new cam pulley as the existing one has a slight dent in it, so I am concerned how hard the camshaft was hit.

The heads are coming off for new head gaskets so I can get a good look, as well as replacing other seals/gaskets. I'm hoping for the best, just need some time to get stuck into it.

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:31 pm

ah yeah by 2 teeths might be nothing - wouldnt be worried about it but yes it may idle roughly. In one of my cars in the past I did advance the timing by 1 or 2 teeths to gain better power output to pre denote early.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:34 am

bullifamilie wrote:I've bought a new cam pulley as the existing one has a slight dent in it, so I am concerned how hard the camshaft was hit.
Always a good idea, if you think it looks a little suspect.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:00 pm

I think you'll find that the cam is fine.

The engine will be fine and if you thought it went well with the dud cam timing alignment it'll only go even smoother when you fix it up.

The engine will be great once you do the head gaskets etc. Take your time to do them, make sure it's done by the book and you'll have a sweet engine for your dub ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

bullifamilie

Post by bullifamilie » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:49 am

Thanks for the encouragement guys, When I bought the car I was happy with the front end damage, the radiator hadn't pushed back to the engine and it looked like the radiator fans had taken the impact and broken to pieces.

I'm thinking now that the damage to the cam was more due to the fact it was rotating rather than pushed back and the belt did jump slightly (couple of teeth) on that cam.

I think I've got all the bits for the engine re-fresh so I really just need to get stuck in. I'll probably be back for some more advice!

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:33 pm

bullifamilie wrote:I think I've got all the bits for the engine re-fresh so I really just need to get stuck in. I'll probably be back for some more advice!
Well, you WILL be back to post some images of your veedub and tell us about your conversion! :rolleyes:

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

bullifamilie

Post by bullifamilie » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:17 am

yeah, I'll post some pictures when I get started. Taking the syncro with it's VW engine for it's last camping/4wd trip this weekend, just quickly up to two rocks, then there's no excuse not to get stuck in. well non-other than the milion other things I'm trying to achieve!

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”