EA82T Vacuum lines

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
wrxpc

EA82T Vacuum lines

Post by wrxpc » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:59 am

hi There,

I've recently picked up an 89 Touring Wagon with the EA82T engine. Unfortunately one of the previous owners has cut out and blocked off some of the vacuum lines and it's not running right, so I want to put them back how they should be.

Is there anyone else here with the same engine configuration? I'm in Perth so I'd be keen to meet up and compare engine bays, if not maybe there is someone kind enough to take photos of their engine bay so I can try and work it out from that.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Cheers,

Wrxpc

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:19 pm

Post some detailed photos of the vac lines in question and we can help you
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:23 pm

And some details of it 'not running right' . A few of us have experience with EA82T and if you need a good tradie in WA - check out RSR Performance member Paul RSR555 I think we are yet to stump him, you may need to book it in and get an invoice at the end :)

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:34 am

Thanks Jonno but Guyph does try his hardest.

Hi and Welcome wrxpc :cool:

I thought I'd seen this user name before.. P-WRX ;) I used to go on there (WRC 22B) a lot but way too busy these days and prefer playing with the older models.

I have 3 RX Turbo leones that have similar config to your Touring Wagon. I also have a Vortex that also is close but the main issue with the old EA82T models is there is so many years of production and with this came lots of different configs (much like the beloved EJ20T) and as the Touring Wagon didn't come out in Aus with the EA82T, then I'd have a guess and say it was converted. If this is the case, any model could have been used. Best to come for a drive to Rockingham sometime and let me have a look.

Cheers,
Paul
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

wrxpc

Post by wrxpc » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:08 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses. I have attached some pictures to this post, hopefully you can see what I mean by them. I was sort of leaning on the suspension tower on the drivers side looking forward-ish when I took these.

I think this is a boost controller, however it's just swinging in the breeze next to the oil filler cap and not bolted to anything. Where is this meant to be?

[ATTACH]4061[/ATTACH]

Secondly there are these two vacuum lines plugged up with screws, I'm not sure where these are meant to be going.

[ATTACH]4062[/ATTACH]

Then there's this wire attached to a sensor at the back of the motor - the wire does not attach to anything?

[ATTACH]4064[/ATTACH]

And then there's this thing I found under the seat while I was cleaning the car out this afternoon ...

[ATTACH]4065[/ATTACH]

Paul, Yes, I still hang out over there :-) I still have the WRX but this will be my daily if it works out ok. It would be great to park this next to one of yours and compare where lines go, unfortunately we live at opposite ends of the city - I'm up near Joondalup :-( Once I'm confident that it's running right I might swing down your way if that's ok.

After reading your post I had a facepalm moment. I had read that Touring Wagons came with turbos but hadn't realised that they had not been delivered in Australia. I assumed as is was a factory turbo that this was the original engine, but I hadn't thought of it as a transplant. This probably explains this photo then:

[ATTACH]4063[/ATTACH]

I thought maybe there was just a bracket missing but maybe it doesn't line up at all because the exhaust is different? And yes, that's another L Series in the back ground - my current daily driver :-) If I can get this touring wagon going nice I will be selling the other one.

Cheers,

Wrxpc
Attachments
P1090457.jpg
P1090457.jpg (114.55 KiB) Viewed 2637 times
P1090456.jpg
P1090456.jpg (111.3 KiB) Viewed 2636 times
P1090459.jpg
P1090459.jpg (105.97 KiB) Viewed 2636 times
P1090455.jpg
P1090455.jpg (101.52 KiB) Viewed 2636 times
P1090454.jpg
P1090454.jpg (110.29 KiB) Viewed 2636 times

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:31 pm

The first one is in the best spot for access and testing - otherwise it is buried behind othe stuff. Mine also sits out loose. It is the EGR control solenoid and can cause error code 3 2 or 3 4 ? if it sticks open or shut. Easy to test on a battery. The plastic tubes break real easy.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:33 pm

That sensor is just below acc cable is the knock sesnor. Some are white plastic with two pins on 3 plug ECU, green plastic one wire on 4 plug ECU ??

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:35 pm

They are a bastard of a bolt to line up if the pipes have been caught up on things.

Australian compliance plate on the turbo wagon ?

wrxpc

Post by wrxpc » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:13 pm

Thanks Steptoe,

The knock sensor wire is attached to nothing, it's just a single wire coming out of the sensor and plugs into nothing. Where would the ECU be? I did find this in the back after I cleaned up today:

[ATTACH]4071[/ATTACH]

The compliance plate is Australian but after what Paul said about the turbo models not being released in Australia, I suspect one of the previous owners has swapped this motor in.

Cheers,

Wrxpc
Attachments
P1090458.jpg
P1090458.jpg (121.86 KiB) Viewed 2629 times

tambox

Post by tambox » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:35 am

The ECU is bolted under the steering column, above your knees, when you are sitting in the car.
That appears to be a 3 plug ECU, for an L series with the air flap flow flow meter.
L serious, still.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:32 am

wrxpc wrote:Paul, Yes, I still hang out over there :-) I still have the WRX but this will be my daily if it works out ok. It would be great to park this next to one of yours and compare where lines go, unfortunately we live at opposite ends of the city - I'm up near Joondalup :-( Once I'm confident that it's running right I might swing down your way if that's ok.

After reading your post I had a facepalm moment. I had read that Touring Wagons came with turbos but hadn't realised that they had not been delivered in Australia. I assumed as is was a factory turbo that this was the original engine, but I hadn't thought of it as a transplant.
No probs about coming down but I'll be back at work in 1.5 weeks, which means I'll be away for 4 weeks. So if you get it running in the meantime come on down.

There was a few converted over the years, when the L.Series 1/2 cuts were coming out of Japan. I probably have done 15 or more since I started on Subies.

I need to strip on of my RX sedans as I've sold the engine and box to a rally guy, before I do this, I'll take a bunch of pics for you.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

wrxpc

Post by wrxpc » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:37 pm

Thanks Paul, I'll see what I can do to get down before you go. The car seems to run fine now that I've had the injectors serviced but I've only driven it around the block, so I don't know anything about overheating etc. I've bled the brakes and they seem good so I'll go for a drive one night this week and give it a run.

Was this a common conversion? Is there a thread/sticky for it? I was thinking I might be able to read up and confirm that this conversion has been done properly.

Cheers,

Wrxpc

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:22 am

Cool :cool:

I'm not sure how 'common' it was but I haven't been with AUSubaru from the begining, so couldn't tell you if there's a thread about them. Try the search button ;)

I will grab some pics for you in the meentime

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:09 pm

OK, those mystery vac lines in photo #2....

the metal supply with a bend in it then plugged by the straight blade screw/bolt is meant to be connected to the EGR control solenoid and the tube coming out at right angles of said solenoid. I suspect the other vac line plugged up with philips screw is for the second tube coming straight of the solenoid. How someone has hooked your pictured solenoid up otherwise I do not know - maybe enough to fool the authorities :D

EGR is good for the environment when the unit works correctly in its firrst 20,000km or so but then somewhere later they gunk up and do not operate as intended. They gunk up with sooty carbon that is as hard as billy-o. Don't believe the 'get another 10kW by plugging up the EA82s EGR unless you read into it that you get another 10kW at its operating range not top end demands

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:12 pm

Just had another look - the solenoid is different in that it has a chimney where the second hose should hook up and looks like the solenoid vac line in pic goes to the charcoal cannister port :)

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:16 pm

Also starting to think if you found that ecu loose, may be an aftermarket ecu running the engine. I spied a fellow over a year ago ( need to catch up Leonard if you are reading this !) with an import L wagon turbo beast running aftermarket ECU that does not use boost control from this sensor, doubt it pings, yet goes hard when his mechanic was drivng it - I couldn't catch it!

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:24 pm

OK, on closer inspection - that solenoid with one hose, one vent, likely a second hose not easily seen in the pics ? - that is the solenoid for charcoal cannister control usually bolted further back on turbo side of the manifold, further down amongst crap.

Looks like you are missing the EGR solenoid!
Not something that would make car feel like it is not running right - neither of them actually. I think the char can solenoid is an update not on 85,86 efi , more late 8 onwards

wrxpc

Post by wrxpc » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:59 pm

Paul: Thanks mate, photos would be very useful. I can't get to you this weekend but if you let me know when you are leaving I'll see what I can do. If not this time it will have to wait until you get back.

Steptoe: So you think I'm missing an EGR solenoid? I'm thinking the more I look at this, the more I need another one to compare it to :-)

I haven't been more than about 5km with it but since I've had the injectors serviced it goes fine. I'm borrowing a timing light tomorrow as I had the dizzy out to make sure the timing was right, and I'm getting the windscreen replaced on Friday morning as the existing one has a huge crack through it. And then I'll take her out for a long run and see how she really goes....looking forward to it!

Last photo to post: I think this exhaust is very, very close ...

[ATTACH]4078[/ATTACH]

If the exhaust is not touching the cross member then it's not missing by much. I don't think it's touching as there isn't any vibration through the car when it's running, but just going on the noise it might be hitting on start up. I'll have to stick my head under there and have a look when I start it.

Yes, it has a few oil leaks ... it needs a bloody good clean under here, but I'll get to that :-)

Cheers,

Wrxpc
Attachments
P1090460R.jpg
P1090460R.jpg (108.58 KiB) Viewed 2422 times

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:17 pm

I think Steptoe is on the money re: EGR.

+
The engine crossmember has not been modified to allow for the turbo engine pipe. A well thought out EA82 turbo conversion will either have the turbo Xmember retro fitted or have the N/A xmember modified to allow for the turbo exhaust manifold.
It may not be touching or not by much, but it aint good.
The engine on one side at least is hard up against the xmember, therefore the engine mounts would not be doing a very good job damping vibration through the body etc.
Just my 2 cents worth:)

wrxpc

Post by wrxpc » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:36 pm

FujiFan wrote: The engine crossmember has not been modified to allow for the turbo engine pipe. A well thought out EA82 turbo conversion will either have the turbo Xmember retro fitted or have the N/A xmember modified to allow for the turbo exhaust manifold.
Hi FujiFan, thanks for adding your two cents! I'm in the dark with what I've bought here and I'm still trying to work out if it's a good buy or I should move it on, so the more input the better :-)

I guess finding a turbo cross member would be difficult now given the age of these things. What is the N/A cross member modification? I can imagine a big hammer, but hopefully it's more scientific than that? :-)

Cheers,

Wrxpc

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”