L Series Automatic not engaging

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
Booie

L Series Automatic not engaging

Post by Booie » Wed May 08, 2013 4:35 pm

I have a 1989 L Series Touring Wagon with auto transmission. When it has been standing overnight or for a few hours it is reluctant to go into DriveSome fiddling around usually gets it going and then it is fine. I only bought the car recently and the dealer won't do anything . I did find the transmission was very low on oil after I picked the car up. Any suggestions?:D

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Wed May 08, 2013 4:58 pm

Have you topped up the transmission fluid? (be aware theres two dip sticks on automatic transmission housing - one for diff and transmission)
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed May 08, 2013 5:01 pm

Used to know a used car yard owners wife - :) short story :D who used to fiercely defend used car dealers. The dealer did not make the car, it is pre-loved and likely to have been traded because it was about to cost previous owner, so, if they can limp it in, be offered a few hundred on another used car most likely..someone is gonna come along and buy it. From another angle had many not want to spend on repairs with the excuse being " we're selling it" ....

You may be lucky if it has crapped out coz someone in Brissy is advertising one or mentioned in their posts.
With my only 4WD auto same as yours - the two things that screw into the side of the tranny on the drivers side, at the front of pan, down low, easy to get at, were finger tight, one was, there is also a vacuum unit with a line to it - think it is for kickdown only.

Nulon make an amazing lot of additives , G60 I think for auto trannies about 25 bucks ? may do some amazing things like soften up seals etc. May not hurt to get the pan off, look inside see the colour,any crud, blocked filter and new fluid before adding G60 ?

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed May 08, 2013 5:02 pm

Hang on, is it a problem physically shifting the lever into D position, or once there, no forward motion ? Mine used to really like a warm up before drivng off

Booie

Post by Booie » Wed May 08, 2013 6:36 pm

Once in Drive no forward movement. Going to park and then selecting 1st or 2nd will get it moving and once it is moving and warmed up it is fine. I have decided to do as you suggest and get the car on a hoist and start digging around. At least it is not as complicated as the modern ones. I will also chase that Nulon product

Booie

Post by Booie » Wed May 08, 2013 6:43 pm

Yes I did top up the the auto with Dexron. and I have found the two dip sticks. We have also had a scrapping noise in the front and we think it is the diff. A dose of Proma MBL8 seems to have quietened it down. I am determined to sort it out as I really like the car

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed May 08, 2013 6:49 pm

Proma stuff still around ? It is the best fuel treatment I have ever used ! MBL in with the gear oiled diff - never had a stuffed one to try it on. Lucky. Think it is Mitchsj that has a 3 speed auto from an RX auto known as a GLTA

tambox

Post by tambox » Wed May 08, 2013 7:15 pm

Watch the diff oil level, a common fault is when the front seal of the gearbox leaks, it ends up in the front diff, which then causes front diff problems.
Diff oil level high?
L serious, still.

Booie

Post by Booie » Wed May 08, 2013 9:48 pm

Yep Proma is still around They have a website and distributors around the place

Booie

Post by Booie » Wed May 08, 2013 9:55 pm

Now thats a clue! Seems like it might be where some of my auto tranny fluid has gone. Although the oil in the diff looks okay. Time to drain them both and maybe whip the pan off the auto. The last L series I owned was a 4wd sedan (bit rare) and I had forgotten how good they were!

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu May 09, 2013 5:07 pm

:) bought my sedan incomplete from a wrecker, had sat for over a year being shifted about by a forklift. I know the mechanic who was given the job of trying to get it running for the car yard that had it before - he still hates it ! :D :D 99,000 later I am still lovin' it :) though my intention was just to use it as a test bed, pinch the good bits and trash the rest. Must have gained some wisdom there somewhere.....

Booie

Post by Booie » Thu May 23, 2013 5:14 pm

Thanks for all your help on this Much appreciated After about a 40Km run I parked the Suby on a flat surface dived underneath an removed the auto drain plug and left it for an hour or so. Put the plug back and filled up with Dexron 3 and a Nulon additive (6.2 litres according to the manual) Now after about 200K I have about a 90% improvement. Also drained and checked the front diff but the oil was in good condition. Replaced it and added some Proma MBL8 . The poor little wagon had been mistreated obviously in a previous life
Cheers
!989 Subaru L Series Touring Wagon with 180 thou
This is my 4th Subaru
Always remember It is possible to eat an elephant but you must start at the b## and take one bite at a time

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri May 24, 2013 10:12 am

Good to hear and done without need for a pan gasket or filter :)

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”