Other model AT's that will fit a 99 GT foz

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
LIFTED

Other model AT's that will fit a 99 GT foz

Post by LIFTED » Wed May 22, 2013 10:36 am

Would anyone know or know where I can find out which other model Subarus would be suitable donors of an automatic transmission for a 1999 Forester GT?:confused:
I presume it would have to come from another turbo 2L?
I Know Niterida did a swap from 99 GT Foz to 03 Outback, but that was from turbo engine to normal, not the other way around.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] ..........................................92 Lib 98 Foz 99 GT Foz :roll: ..................................................

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Wed May 22, 2013 1:56 pm

When I was looking for the outbacks replacement I couldn't find any specific info. They will all physically fit but the problem is the electronic side of it. I was told that the possibility of getting one with matching connections/connectors was slim uness I bought one from the exact same model.

So either by sheer fluke, or the above is not true, the Foz box plugged straight in and I had no issues with any check lights or shift problems etc.

Maybe try and buy a box and matching TCU or at least make sure the connectors are the same on the box you buy and your TCU. Or find an auto from a Gen 3 Outback and I'll swap it for my Foz GT one.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Wed May 22, 2013 4:57 pm

I think (based on my experience with earlier boxes) as long as you get the same style box and the correct front diff ratio you will be fine.

The later style boxes have a filter mounted on the box itself. Yours should have this being a 99 but check to be sure.

Just about all the 4EAT boxes in from 1990 - 1998 are interchangeable assuming you get the diff ratios right so I cant imagine it would be any different in the later style box. niteridas experience supports this.
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

LIFTED

Post by LIFTED » Thu May 23, 2013 12:13 am

Thanks for your offer niterida, yeah I was thinking if I got a different one I would have to get the TCU for it, I reckon you were very lucky with yours or we've all been hoaxed and most of them will just plug in and work.
Yep Vincentvega mine has the screw on filter on the side, from what I've read these are a phase 2 4EAT I think I need to look for one from another turbo car.
There doesn't seem to be many 4EAT around, I might have to bite the bullet soon and buy one from the wreckers.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] ..........................................92 Lib 98 Foz 99 GT Foz :roll: ..................................................

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Thu May 23, 2013 10:18 am

There isnt a big difference between turbo and non turbo boxes, usually the stall point of the torque converter is higher and 1st and 2nd clutches have an extra plate to take the extra torque.
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

LIFTED

Post by LIFTED » Fri May 24, 2013 12:07 am

Gannon wrote:There isnt a big difference between turbo and non turbo boxes, usually the stall point of the torque converter is higher and 1st and 2nd clutches have an extra plate to take the extra torque.
Thanks for the info.

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”