Strange knocking sound

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
Bryan1

Strange knocking sound

Post by Bryan1 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:01 am

G'day Guy's,
Recently on that free L series wagon we got a severe knock was heard which to me sound like a finger on the pressure plate was out of line. Standing beside the car it sounded like a sick Vdub engine and the repition did go up with engine speed. One thing I did notice while driving in 4th gear when the clutch was depressed the noise went away now my missus said the other day the noise had gone. Without doing a total strip would any guys have an idea what it could be.

Regards Bryan

littlewhiteute

Post by littlewhiteute » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:10 am

Unlikely to be a pressure plate finger out of line.

Could be a broken clutch plate spring.

Does it have any abnormality with the clutch - shudder, grab, slip etc?

But if the noise is gone now, there is nothing to diagnose.

Keep an eye on it.
Regards

Gary ;)

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:38 am

HVLA's [lifters] can change with clutch in/out

Bryan1

Post by Bryan1 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:41 pm

Hi Guy's,
Just asked the missus about the noise and she did say the noise is off and on now. As far as the clutch working it is fine too.

I was driving the subi from Kanmantoo to sellicks beach for a job and although the noise was there going up willunga hill @100K + wasn't a problem.

Next week I'll finally get my work van back after a full engine overhaul so I'll be able to take the subi off the road and have a good look. I do have the original service books and full spare subi here for parts too......

Regards Bryan

Bryan1

Post by Bryan1 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:09 pm

G'day Guy's,
Well the annoying knock is still there so time to fab some car stands and tow the old subi up to my shed and get the gearbox out so it can go on the bench for a full overhaul. While on the strip I'll check out the clutch wear and get plenty of practice on the swap over so the time off the road an other good subi is cut down to a day or so. Eh my birth date is the last of the baby boomers so never too old to work on a decent old vehicle I reckon and on the work I did on the spare subi will stand me well. As I used to repair industrial gearbox's and on 3 occasions road ranger gearbox's and do have all the manuals I could take a few pic's and make log of the details.

Regards Bryan

Bryan1

Post by Bryan1 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:18 pm

G'day Guy's,
Well it does look like steptoe hit the nail on the head as it is the hyd lifters, today I bought some brake disks for out fairmont and when I pulled one side out I found I was given the wrong pads. So took the subi back into Mt Barker and asked the guys id hyd lifeters can rattle like a vdub.... He laughed and said the guys out the back were saying the same thing when I pulled up. I prices up new lifters and @ $16 each not too bad for price. The guy did say they had some additives which more than likely would fix the problem so this weekend the subi will getting an oil change and that gunk flushed thru and hopefully all will be good.

Now on a another problem I found when the 4wd drive was engaged the car becomes virtually undrivable as the steering become real heavy and the vehicle tends to want to left when one wants to go right. So the project of getting the gearbox out of the old subi will still be on the cards as it does look like this one is shot for 4wd. Now with the reciepts the gearbox was overhauled by Eblems about 5 years so one would think the gearbox should last longer.

Cheers Bryan

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:33 pm

Great you found the issue, lets hope the additive works ;)

Hopefully the car pulling to the left wont be too hard...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

littlewhiteute

Post by littlewhiteute » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:56 am

Bryan,

The gearbox has no centre diff.

You can't drive on hard terrain (bitumen, etc) in 4WD.
"Wind up" in the driveline is the result.

Steering goes heavy because all the wheels are fighting each while trying to travel at the same road speed when they should be going at different speeds.

Don't pull the box yet. Get Nulon "lifter free" for your HVLA noise.
Regards

Gary ;)

Bryan1

Post by Bryan1 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:25 pm

G'day Guy's,
Well got to sprints at mclarenvale at 3.55pm yesterday just as the guy was closing up and got some nulon lifter free, oil and a filter. Today I did the oil change and took the subi for a spin to callington to top up on the good nectar and by the time we reached the pub the noise had gone completely.

Cheers Bryan

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:01 pm

Bryan1 wrote:took the subi for a spin to callington to top up on the good nectar and by the time we reached the pub the noise had gone completely.
Woohoo! A beer for you & some TLC for your Subie ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”