ej25D.. any other alternatives without getting stuck into wiring

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
woody.t

ej25D.. any other alternatives without getting stuck into wiring

Post by woody.t » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:58 pm

hey guys,

chasing some info, recently my sister cooked her engine really bad and had to find a replacement engine for her 98 outback with the ej25D engine.. and to say it was hard to track one down was an understatement, none of the wreckers had anything and all pretty much said that those engines had shocking headgasket and recently i've been offered two cars from people with the exact same problem.. is there an easy way to switch them out to the later SOHC engines or is it do the heads and hope the bottom end is up to it?

regards
tyrone
"the wisest of men followed the stars"
<a href="http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthrea ... 200">CHLOE THE LIBERTY</a>
to do list:
-3" strut, 2" body lift uni mid-year break

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:41 pm

I'd rebuild the old engine. The new aftermarket head gaskets are a lot more reliable then the original Subaru ones, I'd also use Permatex copper spray on them. Not worth changing to the later EJ251 engine as these have head gasket issues too.. albeit not as many but they still aren't as reliable as the EJ201. The price to buy and convert to the later one would be around the same cost as rebuilding your old one and a lot less headaches.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”