Rear Diff ASSY upgrades

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
FujiFan

Rear Diff ASSY upgrades

Post by FujiFan » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:56 am

Ok so no LSD upgrade here, but I have replaced the bushes, given a lick of blaze blue powder coating, added a diff bash plate and started a diff breather facility!!
[img][IMG]http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy34 ... 5bb48f.jpg[/img][/IMG]
[img][IMG]http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy34 ... b0b67f.jpg[/img]ttp://[/IMG]
[img][IMG]http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy34 ... faae22.jpg[/img][/IMG]
[img][IMG]http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy34 ... 5d0189.jpg[/img][/IMG]
[img][IMG]http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy34 ... 4d4b9f.jpg[/img]http://[/IMG]

Stay tuned for the breather filter and its location.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:52 am

Pretty sexy bet you can't wait to see if mud sticks to it! That bash plate been refreshed or is it new ? I have one from an UGly that needed some mods to fit the MY diff and it is never gonna look like yours !

pzs

Post by pzs » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:01 am

If that's the detail on a diff, I would like to see the rest of the car.....Shhhhmickkk

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:34 am

Pretty sexy bet you can't wait to see if mud sticks to it! That bash plate been refreshed or is it new ? I have one from an UGly that needed some mods to fit the MY diff and it is never gonna look like yours !

That was a new c!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!d bash plate, and it was a prick to fit even off car. Had to take to it with a die grinder!!:mad:
However Jonno I have been working with a mate on an improved unit, made from bisalloy:evil: - watch this space!
As for getting this dirty - already have, but it cleans up nicely with some CT18 and high pressure water + no water gets into the diff through the breather now:D:smile:

If that's the detail on a diff, I would like to see the rest of the car.....Shhhhmickkk

The rest of the car has a way to go to look good, but there are a few highlights here and there

J.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:43 pm

Looking good. I would have doubled up the moustache bar though.. only from experiences, I've found them to bend quite easily.

And I LOOOOOOVE that breather mod :)
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

H-top

Post by H-top » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:00 pm

bush part numbers please?
H-Top

rolling in

MY00 GT Foz - Auto, Turbo, Luxury

H-top

Post by H-top » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:18 pm

and the specifics on the breather?

do you have the AWD box in?
H-Top

rolling in

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:36 pm

Thanks guys
Looking good. I would have doubled up the moustache bar though.. only from experiences, I've found them to bend quite easily.

And I LOOOOOOVE that breather mod
Paul, I did consider doubling up the "moustache" bar, but decided I would rather that break before something much harder to replace. Since I have a spare, if it did fail I could mod the spare n track down another.
and the specifics on the breather?

do you have the AWD box in?
Sam, before polishing the rear diff cover I taped a 1/4 NPT. Then fitted a F***o brand anodised banjo fitting that accepts 1/4" nylon air line. The banjo fitting was kindly donated by a mate who also supplied the tap for the thread. No mod required to moustache bar as it all sits neatly, although originally I cut a hole in the top of the bar for another style of fitting before I was given the banjo fitting! 2 decent cable ties are then used to run the nylon air line along the left of the Xmember then up outta the way of the muffler. At this point I am yet to extend the line into the cab for a total prevention of water ingress.
Yes the AWD box is in, but not the AX7 one:twisted:
bush part numbers please?
The part# for SuperBro bushes is SPF3005K, around $55ea retail. But if you shop carefully as I have, they can be had for much less!
Those bushes are only listed for the pinion mount, but I pressed them in the Xmember and they fit- presto.
At this point it should be noted that those bushes are firm and do not allow quite the same articulation the factory rubber units do. So while they have helped tightened up the rear end on the road:D, they may not be the best for demanding offroading (Bennie I'm looking at you;) ).

Stay tuned folkes for the rest of the details!!

J.

H-top

Post by H-top » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:53 pm

wicked! wow! which box?
H-Top

rolling in

H-top

Post by H-top » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:53 pm

and it all looks very flash
H-Top

rolling in

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:28 pm

wicked! wow! which box?
Nothing special, JDM Fulltime D/R spec.

Moving forward this is the breather filter to be used:

Sintered bronze filter element (left) - easy to clean if required, alloy body (middle) turned on a lathe and lovingly handcrafted;) and brass 1/4" barbed fitting on the right.
I would like another one of these for the transmission, but later down the track

Excuse my inconsistent photography skills!

Now, where to position:?:

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:08 am

This thread aint dead, just dormant while I have attended to many, many other things. So here is the new and improved rear diff bash plate, in primer and now at the metal finishers.
[img][IMG]http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy34 ... 1ba37d.jpg[/img][/IMG]

[img][IMG]http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy34 ... b20adf.jpg[/img][/IMG]

3mm Bisalloy, shaped to fit round the diff so as to provide maximum protection and minimum chance of catching big rocks, branches, Daihatsu Charades and curb and guttering:mad:

coxy

Post by coxy » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:27 am

Pic number two that bead of silicon on the outside is matched with one on the inside it will fall off and mix in with oil and into the bearings not good.
I would use Threebond 1104 or 1215 as a sealant available through any decent Japanese motorcycle shop.

Unless you plan on removing the diff guard to avoid oil in it when changing the differential Oil I would suggest a small drain hole in the guard so you can easily clean out any oil spillage afterwards.

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:20 pm

Pic number two that bead of silicon on the outside is matched with one on the inside it will fall off and mix in with oil and into the bearings not good.
Thats not silicon, its weld!
Unless you plan on removing the diff guard to avoid oil in it when changing the differential Oil I would suggest a small drain hole in the guard so you can easily clean out any oil spillage afterwards.
Thanks for the suggestion. A small drain hole would be useless, A large slot would be required but creates a weak point in the structure. I will either remove it come oil change time or remove old oil with a pump.

Bantum
General Member

Mixed ...

Post by Bantum » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:31 pm

Someone has their wires crossed :

I agree with coxy that this a fail waiting to happen ... :shock: ... ( I would redo with the correct gasket - less blue glue ) Like the Breather though ... :)

As for the diff protector - I'm not sure all that work was necessary ( unless you're planning to do rock crawling ) & will collect crud thrown in there ... :roll:
A 20mm drain hole in the center towards rear would not affect the structural integrity ... ;)

Great ideas, execution needs more finesse ... :p

Cheers, Bantum ...

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:46 pm

Oh the second photo ay, well that was at the begining thought coxy was referring to second pic in my most recent post.
Thats Hylomar, a thin bead around the perimeter of a geniune diff gasket just to be sure. No problems thus far after 3000kms!

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:21 am

That breather fitting in the diff is awesome, wish I'd thought of that for mine :cool:

For the filter I just used a mini fuel filter, I got mine from a mower shop but from eBay only cpl bucks :wink:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:49 am

For the filter I just used a mini fuel filter, I got mine from a mower shop but from eBay only cpl bucks
Hehe thanks for that idea Nacha, I may do that and use that fancy one that was given to me for the gearbox breather;)

!Hopefully the new diff guard will be finished off in zinc plating in the next week, before everyone shuts shop over Xmas!

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:26 am

Looking good. Can't wait to see it all fitted up :)
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

M0rpH

Post by M0rpH » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:48 am

Glad i spotted this thread. :)

Will keep an eye on this as i'm close to doing similar thing myself with the rear suspension assembly from a vortex with some stabiliser bar thingy attached, a clutch pack lsd and diff protector. :cool:
91 Leone wagon, body and suspension lift. Currently collecting parts for rebuild.
Currently rebuilding EA82.

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”