EA82 turbo project!

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
FujiFan

EA82 turbo project!

Post by FujiFan » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:14 pm

So for a while I have wanted to get some motivation into my 92 L wagon. Some people will say to work an EA82 is to flog a dead horse - well I'll have a go at self torture anyway:rolleyes: There are some people on this forum that give me inspiration and motivation to undertake such acts of shame - No names mentioned thus far....
I could go the EJ?? path, but I dont want to at this stage. I have been wanting to try a few tricks on the old tech EA's and well the 81's still have a loyal following..
Note: This project will take time, but I have a head start. Be patient - I hope too have this going before Christmas (say 2016)

Start with a donor boat anchor, and believe me it wasn't far off.

So a bit of work to be done.

Got something nice to go with this short engine..

And now I must fane an interest in my missuses expensive new pair of shoes........ help!!

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:24 pm

FujiFan wrote: Start with a donor boat anchor, and believe me it wasn't far off.
Holy cow, was that thing used as a boat anchor?? :eek:

No harm in playing around and squeezing everything you can out of the old EA's, good luck!
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:20 am

Yuck! Someone hated that Vortex ! Buy the girl her shoes - keep the box, very handy for parts storage :)

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:26 am

Holy cow, was that thing used as a boat anchor??

No harm in playing around and squeezing everything you can out of the old EA's, good luck!
Yep where it lived outside for who knows how long - only 1km approx from a beach:shock:
And thanks for the encouragement Silverbullet, but so far its like squeezing a pimple!
Yuck! Someone hated that Vortex ! Buy the girl her shoes - keep the box, very handy for parts storage
Yep!! The girl purchased said shoes with some of her tax return $$, however I get to take her out for a night with some of my tax return $$:confused: - to show off her new wardrobe fillers:rolleyes:

H-top

Post by H-top » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:17 pm

build spec details? ;)
H-Top

rolling in

MY00 GT Foz - Auto, Turbo, Luxury

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:25 pm

Part of me would like to do a radical ea82t build if I had the spare money to spend on it..... 9:1 compression, ported heads with vortex manifold, well made headers/up-pipe, big injectors for E85 fuel, TD04 turbo, individual ignition coils and fully programmable ecu.

But I have gone with EJ20G because its cheaper and has more potential. But EA82's are still cooler and part of me wishes I had have stuck with it
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:37 pm

build spec details?
Hehe, was getting to that:p
Part of me would like to do a radical ea82t build if I had the spare money to spend on it..... 9:1 compression, ported heads with vortex manifold, well made headers/up-pipe, big injectors for E85 fuel, TD04 turbo, individual ignition coils and fully programmable ecu.
I did consider NA comp ratio, ported head and the like, But here are the specs Im aiming for on this one:

1) 7.7:1 +030" pistons with ceramic treatment on the crowns and dry film lube treatment on the skirts (Have to go this much o/size cause of poor condition of #1 cylinder). Shot peened con rods (:!: wanker talk)...
2) full service of MPFI heads, stage 1 cam grind with possibly a few degrees of cam advance later on. (maybe port the heads).
3) Spider manifold, polished externally and port matched with the lower injector mounts which will be ceramic coated. Water log to be polished externally.
4) Standard VF48 Turbo - initially. This cost nothing so why not. (prob 7-8 psi until I'm satisfied all is well, then have go at more)
5) Standard turbo exhuast manifold - initially. This also cost nothing so why not
6) WAIC - this wont be cheap but if well executed it will really deliver gains!
7) MoTec M4 with custom harness.
8- Ignition - Wasted spark just like EJ??, utilising the MPFI dizzy for REF and SYNC.
9) Electric water pump.
10) Custom radiator with integral oil cooler - currently under construction!
11) All nuts n bolts to be re-zinc plated! bead blasted, lots of chrome, polished alloy and attention to detail. Tefzel cable for engine electrical harnesses.
12) All of those shitty steel inserts for cooling lines that corrode will be replaced with either DASH or anodised alloy barb fittings - you will see what I mean when I post pics.
13) Standed turbo MPFI injectors for now - which have been serviced.
14) Decent fuel pump (think Bosch 070 or something) with pre filter. maybe surge tank later if needed.
15)And a proper tuning by a mechanic experienced with Subarus and MoTec!!!

Anyone like to add too this;)

I have already replaced the fuel tank with an MPFI unit and just need to do the return line to suit + replace all the old carb fuel hose and clamps with EFI spec stuff. NOTE: MPFI tanks have much larger fuel delivery and return ports than carby L series tanks. They also have a form of surge tank (baffle) built in. So worth upgrading even if a prick of a job!!

Finally, FROG (Andy) got my new conrod nuts n bolts in today Ex-Japan. Very happy -thanks FROG

J.

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:07 am

Will be following this in interest ... :)

One Query I do have - How are you going to deal with all that corroded aluminium ?
As you will have to check that it hasn't eaten too much of the casings ... ;)

Cheers, Bantum ...

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:19 am

Hi,

Cool build. Its great people are keeping those old ea alive:) I'm not one of them:) I recently bought a turbo vortex. It doesn't have the spider manifold so i'm not sure exactly if its a real turbo or if the motor is off a rx or what but anyway the plan id to go with an EJ engine so this one will come out. If you need parts or the whole lot let me know:)

Good luck with the build, will be keeping an eye on it:)
Thx
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:45 am

thought we'd lost guyph.....non spider Vorts were pre 4? /87 . My wreck I think was 3/87 and was old style inlet non spider.... pics Guy ?

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:58 am

One Query I do have - How are you going to deal with all that corroded aluminium ?
As you will have to check that it hasn't eaten too much of the casings ...
So far I have bead blasted everything and chemically cleaned the block and heads, and its not looking to bad. For example:
Cool build. Its great people are keeping those old ea alive I'm not one of them
Hehe, thanks Guy - I think:confused:

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:02 am

Hmmmmmmm, Doug likes.....:D

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:31 am

Got engine internals etc back and organised just before xmas. So now the aftermath of xmas and new years is outta the way its time to commence reassembly:

If anyone experienced in building engines particullary has any input to offer, please do as I don't want to bugger it up:neutral:

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:50 am

well, it is too late to suggest you try EJ pistons for their round oil return holes rather than slots. Someone on usmb has done so with ea81 na for their better rev endurance - but if you want your work to last, you won't be revving it too much anyway :)

What is with the look of the piston anyway? Coating ?

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:57 am

well, it is too late to suggest you try EJ pistons for their round oil return holes rather than slots. Someone on usmb has done so with ea81 na for their better rev endurance - but if you want your work to last, you won't be revving it too much anyway
To be honest I wanted to keep it simple which is why I went with direct EA82 replacements:(, but I see what you mean about the oil slots v holes on OEM pistons. If I get all this right, the bulk torque will be in the low - mid rpm.
What is with the look of the piston anyway? Coating ?
Yes, coatings! Dry film on the skirts and thermal barrier on the crowns. Perhaps the dry film may compensate a little for slots and no oils holes:neutral:

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:18 am

The block now assembled!

I've done the best I can under the circumstances:)

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:22 am

qualifies for the sexy subaru engine thread Jay!

Have you checked to ensure the alloy aero ? fitting clears the inlet manifold ? got a closer shot? very nice work

pzs

Post by pzs » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:03 am

watching with much interest.

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:40 am

Looking good

You should have bought Adrians (discopotato03) EA82 stuff. He had a custom up pipe, ball bearing turbo, wideband and a well made exhaust.
I had a drive in his car and it went pretty well, and it didnt have an intercooler
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:34 am

Have you checked to ensure the alloy aero ? fitting clears the inlet manifold ?
Yep, just. I have another (grubby) EA82 to play with. So I use that as mock up to see how mods and things fit together as I go.
You should have bought Adrians (discopotato03) EA82 stuff. He had a custom up pipe, ball bearing turbo, wideband and a well made exhaust.
I had a drive in his car and it went pretty well, and it didnt have an intercooler
Yeah at the time I wasn't aware of Discos' decision to let Ellie go and I'm spewing:(, was absent from the forum for a while during that period.
On the other hand though, like having kids I would rather make my own than adopt someone elses problems;-)

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”