early dual range gurus - help me out!

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
vincentvega

early dual range gurus - help me out!

Post by vincentvega » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:34 am

So a while back I converted my auto lib to manual. I bought a 1992 GX with only 168K on it and basically swapped the lot across.

I am now trying to sort out the last few niggling issues.

1. I cant reliably select low range. i pull the lever all the way up and more often than not when I let the clutch out (in neutral) i get a grinding noise and the dual range lever moves forward. Is there adjustment on the dual range selection cable?

2. i have trouble engaging first gear when stationary. A blip on the throttle seems to help but sometimes I have to engage second then it lets me get first. very annoying when trying to take off from the lights! When the car is rolling first is very easy to get (even at a reasonable speed) its just when i'm stationary.

Clue me up guys. The auto guy is out of his depth..

Cheers
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:24 pm

Can't help you Dane. All my gearbox fitments have worked perfectly....then I break them.
Settlement Creek Racing

jayrod

Post by jayrod » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:22 pm

I had this in my old liberty, i then took out that gearbox and put it in my outback ( blew reverse), once i had this in my outback dual range worked fine ?

Only thing different was i reused the dual range lever/cable/gear stick/+ linkages from the outback.

Mabye the lever is at fault here?

BaronVonChickenPants
General Member

Post by BaronVonChickenPants » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:41 pm

There is a rubber bushing/grommet on the dual range selector cable that deteriorates resulting in not being able to pull enough to select low range.

I don't remember the exact procedure, only that it was fairly inexpensive to replace but an absolute PITA to get to with the gearbox in place.

I can't help with the 1st gear issue, only that it is the exact opposite in my Gen 3 Outback, absolutely can not select first while in motion, straight in everytime while stationary. Has been like that since I bought it with 175k km on it, still the same at 330k km.

Jordan.
To become old and wise, first you must survive being young and dumb.

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:39 pm

the dual range issue is my main priority and what you described makes sense. it seems like if i slam the lever hard enough it engages (sometimes)

i will check it out. thanks mate
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:02 pm

Gearstick linkage bushes on the Liberties are prone to failure. Remove the centre console & rubber boot & you'll see them.

I vaguely remember some adjustment on the low range cable somewhere also.
Current rides:
JDM GTII Touring wagon
88 RX Turbo Full-time 4wd touring wagon project - 97 Toyota Caldina GTT (turbo 4wd WRX eater:twisted:) - Hyundai Excel Rally Car:confused::???:
Previous rides:
93 Legacy GT wagon - 85 RX Turbo Full time 4wd Touring Wagon - 85 GL AWD sedan
96 Toyota Caldina wagon

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:14 pm

i still havn't fitted the center console ;) plan to put it all back together this weekend.

the bushes had been done. blue polyurethane ones in there and the shift feels quite good so i don't think its bushes.

the dual range cable seems to have a heap of slop designed in (~12mm cable eyes with a ~6mm pin) am i missing bushes or is this how they are supposed to be? (im guessing the latter as its the same both ends)

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:56 pm

6mm pins in 12mm eyes doesnt sound right. Im sure there would have to bushes for them
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:44 am

do you have one you can look at? assumptions aren't that helpful.

i think the free play is there to allow the detent in the box to locate the selector not the cable... but again thats just an assumption.

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:46 am

where's bennie when you need him?? pm'd..

tambox

Post by tambox » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:28 pm

That not being able to select 1st is a headache, mine turned out to be master cylinder problem. Could get 1st most of the time, but occaisionaly not.
Grinding in range changes is hi/low lever adjustment. If the lever moves/jumps forward as it has not fully engaged the range. There is little free play in the linkages, as soon as you start to move the lever you should feel some resistance, if you have freeplay, linkages or adjustment are wrong.
L serious, still.

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:51 am

mines a cable clutch so no master cylinder to fail.

i would love to hear from someone who actually has an early dual range to confirm that the cable ends are meant to have the loose fittings i have described. I cant find any adjustment on the cable.

SubiParts_Australia

Post by SubiParts_Australia » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:18 am

Dane,

There are 2 nylon/plastic bushes that mount either side of the selector cable on the gearbox end. The pin passes through them & there is no 'slop' in the connection.

I will try to find the OE part number for you & get a photo of the spare cable I have here.

Thanks - Justin.
1993 Twin Turbo GX Liberty Wagon
4' Lift, VTD Auto with lock up,

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:29 am

Thanks Justin

I exagerated on the amount of slop. I just measured the pin at 7.9mm and the eye at each end of the cable is 10mm. still a fair amount of slop though

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:06 pm

I had a subaru parts guy check this out for me this morning and there is no bush listed as a separate part.

Either there was bushes moulded into the cable ends and they have fallen out, or the slop is meant to be there.

I'm going to turn up a couple of 10mm OD 8mm ID bushes and see how I go.

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:51 pm

Try something like copper or aluminum or even plastic pipe with 10mm OD and 1mm wall.
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:46 am

vincentvega wrote:where's bennie when you need him?? pm'd..
Sorry mate, it's been a very hectic two weeks! Ruby Scoo back on the road with a deadline, out bush/waterskiing and camping then straight into a 3 day 1st aid re-cert before work later tomorrow (today really :()
vincentvega wrote:1. I cant reliably select low range. i pull the lever all the way up and more often than not when I let the clutch out (in neutral) i get a grinding noise and the dual range lever moves forward. Is there adjustment on the dual range selection cable?
Can you select low range from under the bonnet using the little lever arm on the top of the gearbox without issues? If not then there's an internal issue.
vincentvega wrote:2. i have trouble engaging first gear when stationary. A blip on the throttle seems to help but sometimes I have to engage second then it lets me get first. very annoying when trying to take off from the lights! When the car is rolling first is very easy to get (even at a reasonable speed) its just when i'm stationary.
This seems to be a subaru design to make sure you're stationary before you select 1st so you don't over-rev the engine. 1st can be quite a harsh gear if you're on the throttle then off it a low speeds. I've always doubled the clutch with some rev matching to get 1st while still rolling - works a treat.

Going back to the low range issue with the lever/cable setup, from memory there should be a clearish looking bush at each end of the cable that's pressed in. It's been a long time since I've looked at one closely but I'll check it out tomorrow as I'm sure I've got one in the shed. There shouldn't be any slop in that setup at all. The lever should feel nice and "tight" when you move it to select hi or low range ;)

That's all I can help you with atm, I hope it's useful!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:50 am

Thanks mate

I have the cable disconnected at the moment. I can get low range by moving the lever by hand no problem.

You misunderstood my first gear problem. I can get 1st whilst moving quite easily, even at a reasonable speed. I have trouble getting 1st when im stationary. I am getting used to it though so i'm not too worried.

I NEED low range though. you can only ride the clutch so much.. the big downfall of a manual. i do miss just squeezing on some power and letting the torque converter sort the rest out.

I have 2 8mm ID 10mm OD 8mm length bronze bushes on order. From what you have said they will sort out my issue. If you could check your car though I would appreciate it.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:39 pm

vincentvega wrote:I NEED low range though. you can only ride the clutch so much.. the big downfall of a manual. i do miss just squeezing on some power and letting the torque converter sort the rest out.
Sounds like you need a diff ratio swap - 4.11:1 is a great ratio if running bigger rubber ;) What size are you on?
vincentvega wrote:I have 2 8mm ID 10mm OD 8mm length bronze bushes on order. From what you have said they will sort out my issue. If you could check your car though I would appreciate it.
I'll check it out tomorrow, I'm sure the part is in the shed somewhere. I've adapted the stock L low range lever to the AWD gearbox with a single rod to the low range lever on the gearbox - works a treat ;)

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:06 pm

Well I checked out the cable I've got and it's 8mm ID at the interior end and 10mm ID on the gearbox end. Dunno if I've lost something there as it has been moved around a bit :(

Are you using bits from the same car or have you collected the low range lever from different vehicles?

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”