3sp auto

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
pzs

3sp auto

Post by pzs » Sat May 17, 2014 5:36 pm

Are these boxes resonably strong. Do they benefit from a cooler fitted

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat May 17, 2014 6:45 pm

That's the one behind the turbo EA82 you just scored ? They look the same as the FWD ones just with with the rear drive section. A cooler would have to be an advantage. You are talking about a unit that is not about so much no more.

Where do you want the strength, low speed 4WDing or shifting with much boost ?
They and their service components are all just getting old. The healthier you can keep it the better. Mine leaked fluid, probably due to the screw in thing on the drivers side was finger tight, took turbo punishment in 4WD, in wet, in mud, up and down hills, just held onto gears until too late, would not shift up when in a hurry and boost on.

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Sat May 17, 2014 6:46 pm

What Year is it ? What do you intend in use for ?

If you want to drive on sand - then yes it would.

Found mine ( EA 82 ) is lacking in top gear at highway speed.

Cheers, Bantum ...

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sat May 17, 2014 6:59 pm

steptoe wrote: just held onto gears until too late, would not shift up when in a hurry and boost on.
Isnt that the idea?
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat May 17, 2014 10:07 pm

Keep good oil in the front diff - we've just blown the auto in Sheldon - MPFI EA82 3 spd auto. As of today he's now a 5spd manual dual range :twisted:

The auto diff was run with little to no oil for a short period of time, then topped up, about 9 months later it went at 90km/h...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

pzs

Post by pzs » Sun May 18, 2014 12:26 pm

I am thinking of a eco build on the ea 82T and put it in my low Km (70000km) l series, I crawl around the hills here in alice and out on the sand at finke time, I won't be thrashing it, It is only be cause I have a large selection of parts over the years and I'm going to build something? with what I have, then dump the rest.

I wasn't going to use the Turbo engine I got from Melbourne, as it was other parts I wanted...but after driving it home 2800km, I kind of like it.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue May 20, 2014 10:19 pm

How'd that unit go with the over heating engine yet still (?) a bit of turbo goodness?

I've never driven an EA82t. I'm kind of interested to see what they're like just for S&G's.

The brand spanking new '07 WRX I drove was a good bit of fun when I was allowed to give it some berries to see what it was like. I wouldn't mind that in the brumby :twisted:

Personally I'd keep some spare bits for the EA82 - heads in-particular!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

pzs

Post by pzs » Wed May 21, 2014 7:53 pm

Yes it got hot very hot, I will be sending the heads away to be checked and new springs at least..... That with new belts and pump is all I will do to it, I'll likely put a rebuild kit through the turbo, and a auto cooler and oil pump to feed it to keep auto sump cool. Hopefully that will be it to the power train along with the rear locked/welded diff. If I can find a cheap td04 turbo, I might grab that to

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu May 22, 2014 7:52 am

New valve springs were factory order only ex Japan when I got mine. No seem like any after market on them, though seen new aftermarket EA81 on ebay

pzs

Post by pzs » Thu May 22, 2014 7:13 pm

I'll ask the local suby dealer tomorrow if he can get them.

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”