No reverse - Brumby

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
pyrohamish

No reverse - Brumby

Post by pyrohamish » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:18 pm

4 speed gearbox, I cant get it into reverse.
I've been having trouble selecting it for a while now but now when it seems to slot into place 4th gear is selected.
I can put the box into 4th, move across to the reverse position but it slots into 4th again.

Any ideas?

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:42 am

Hmmm, I'd just say don't go back ............ but seriously have you tried 1st then reverse, it's a pretty common fix on the 5 speed WRX's boxes and they are all pretty much the same inside, but more than likely a selector fork is bent or it could be something as simple as a worn rubber bush under the gearstick.
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:42 am

The 4spd shifter linkage system is a bit crap. If there is a lot of slop the gear stick will hit the outside of the gearbox. Basically if physically cant move far enough over to select Reverse. Could be a few other things too but slop is where Id start.

Regards

Doug

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:37 pm

Yeah probably just too much play in the linkages. Easy fix with new bushes, very quick to replace.

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:50 pm

There's a thread on here somewhere on 'how to' fix a sloppy shifter also ...
Cheers, Bantum ...

pyrohamish

Post by pyrohamish » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:03 pm

Ok, after a bit of investigation the bolt through the gear stick to the linkage was around the wrong way. Now with the head facing the gearbox there is enough room to select reverse properly. FYI there was no play in any of the linkages. Weird that it happened slowly over time..must just slowly be getting more and more sloppy internally.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:12 pm

pyrohamish wrote:Ok, after a bit of investigation the bolt through the gear stick to the linkage was around the wrong way. Now with the head facing the gearbox there is enough room to select reverse properly. FYI there was no play in any of the linkages. Weird that it happened slowly over time..must just slowly be getting more and more sloppy internally.
For the linkages to have a bolt through them, means at some point the bushes and roll pin (where the bolt is now) have been replaced.

I would say putting the bolt in facing the other way, has given you a bit more room but as well tightened the selector to the linkage.

Good to see it was an easy fix.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:05 pm

Not much wear happens on the internal gear selector gate inside the box but lots of play happens on the selector rod that comes out of the box. Most times the roll pin holding the selector fork wears out and then causes wear on the selector rod. An easy fix it to put the closest size bolt in there but I'm sure this isn't the bolt you're referring to. I would however suggest you fit one in there, if it doesn't already have one.

The bolt on the gear shifter to selector fork shouldn't really matter which way around it goes but I can see that if the selector fork has too much slop, then the threaded part my hit the side of the transfer housing. I think by turning the bolt will just be a temp fix.

Just for future reference for others, I used to drill out the selector shaft and selector fork to the exact size of a flywheel bolt and then use this bolt and the nut off a conrod. This bolt and nut combo could be done up super tight and I also used to cut a slot 1/2 way down the fork (on both sides), so it would clamp up nicely.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”