Group Buy - All Drive Subaroo Low Range

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
NachaLuva
General Member

Group Buy - All Drive Subaroo Low Range

Post by NachaLuva » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:40 pm

In speaking to All Drive Subaroo , they are bringing in 2 types of low range (1.6:1) gear sets. A HD for ~$1300 & a lighter duty for less. They will know more about prices when they get their shipment. He was keen to negotiate on a group buy Image so if you can express your interest here it will increase our bargaining power. This is not a commitment to buy at this stage, just an expression of interest.

From what I have been able to learn:
* L series (1.59:1) will fit with 4.111 crown wheel with some modification, ie, grinding some metal off the edge of the crown wheel. This is not in the contact patch so doesnt affect reliability. It also needs other mods to fit the input shaft, etc.

* The L series LR will fit with a 4.44 crown wheel with some difficulty. This means removing metal inside the contact patch! A remedy is to move the crown wheel to the side a little, but this is not recommended & reliability is a concern. AFAIK, this has only been done once & has no issues apart from a whine, but was only done about a year ago so reliability is not known. I'm not happy doing this!

* There are some other mods that need to be done to fit the L series LR to the input shaft. These get technical so I cant really explain them much & are covered in other threads. Its enough to know its not a simple swap!

* The All Drive Subaroo LR doesnt need any mods to fit the input shaft unlike the L series LR, it simply fits straight in Image I have been told by "Rick the Gearbox Guy" (famous for Venom's & El Freddo's offroad boxes) it is excellent quality (also new). He is very keen for me to get their LR even though he knows I am very short of $$$

* The ADS LR will fit with the 4.111 with no mods or 4.44 with just a "smidge" taken off. Rick says it doesnt need much taken off.

* ADS can supply Subaru 4.44 crown wheels & matching 5th gear. This 5th gear keeps the revs the same on the highway as it would be with 4.111. The ratio you need depends on the vehicle but for an SF is 0.781. They also have 0.738 (to drop the revs further to about 2700 (SF) or for an SG) or .825 (I think this is for those with bigger tyres). The 4.44 crown wheel new is ~$600 machined or 2nd hand machined is ~$400. 5th gear is ~$280.

* They can also supply Cusco plated LSDs (not sure about KAAZ). Venom has one of each! There is also a Cusco centre diff but I will be going with a DCCD

So...they are keen for us to do a group buy. They wont know any more about LR pricing until prob August when (hopefully) they get their first shipment in. The more people who get involved in this the less we will each have to pay.

I'll keep editing this post as more information becomes available. As I post prices, note that this is approximate only & will reduce the more that is bought.

So if you have been thinking about building an offroad box, get in now & take advantage of this deal. Its unlikely in the future there will be enough people to do a group buy again, so don't miss out!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:56 am

I'd definitely be interested. I'd like to go 4.44 with out shaving the crownwheel and have the matching 5th gear.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:02 pm

I still have to confirm the LR fits the 4.44 without mods, but I'll put you on the list ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

KiwiL

Post by KiwiL » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:24 pm

I could be interested depending on price. I would love the 1.6:1 reduction without the hassle of modifying a Leone gearset, but if an SF 1.45 box is significantly cheaper I'll probably go that route.

What's the deal with the 5th gear? Is it significantly 'longer' than standard, to prevent the engine revving its head off at 100kph with 4.44 diffs?

Cheers.

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:22 pm

Just confirmed their LR requires a smidge taken off the 4.44, but Rick says its not much.

1st post edited...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:53 pm

The 4.44 crown wheels are Subaru. New is ~$600 machined or 2nd hand machined is ~$400.

5th gear have several different ratios (0.738; 0.781; 0.825). Price is ~$280. According to Dedman's calculations, for an SF, you will need the .781 to keep the revs the same with 4.44 diffs or to drop the revs a bit more 0.738 (ADS said this ratio is very popular & would put the revs at ~2700rpm with the same sized tyres).

1st post edited
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”