Clutch 2003 Forester

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
brumby_boy

Clutch 2003 Forester

Post by brumby_boy » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:47 am

I am in the process of buying a 2.5 litre (X 79)? Forester from a car dealer :???:. Not sure much about them just yet but I did notice clutch pedal felt not right.

Can anybody tell me if this model is cable or hydraulic and a clutch pedal free play adjustment would help if at all cable?

julian

Post by julian » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:56 pm

Is it an SF or SG?
Either should be hydraulic clutch system with hill holder mechanism. They should auto adjust in a similar way to a hydraulic brake system.
Others will have to confirm but the SG was released with a dual mass flywheel was it not?

What feels "not right"?
Julian

2004 Outback H6
2004 Forester XS

Organ donation saves lives

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:36 pm

2.5 will show that it's SG model (SF will be 2.0) and the SG is a nice model. The clutch will be the hydraulic system and you should drive another of the same model to compare. I'm just replacing a clutch on a SG Foz in my shop and it appears the clutch has completely fallen to pieces. The release bearing has shat itself and is in 40 pieces inside the bellhousing. The flywheel is the dual mass type (which I believe are all DMF in the 2.5) but Subaru have the complete replacement kit for around $900 which converts to solid flywheel and includes the rest of the clutch kit.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”