Will Forester GT Turbo prop shaft fit 2lt non turbo ????

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
penguin

Will Forester GT Turbo prop shaft fit 2lt non turbo ????

Post by penguin » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:41 pm

I have some prop shaft issues and a guy has a GT Turbo shaft from the same 2000 vintage as my vehicle, howere I have a 2lt non turbo, manual rig, will that prop shaft fit mine ??????

Thanks

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:04 pm

I'd say that is pretty likely but can't confirm. It would be pretty quick to take a couple of measurements though.

FROG
General Member

Post by FROG » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:25 pm

part numbers are different but it may fit
ImageImageImageImageImage
GRAB THE VIN FROM DONOR VEHICLES
AUSubaru member specials
Brumby EA81 Oil Pump kit (4 x 'o'rings + gasket) posted Australia wide $22!
Brumby sloppy shifter bush kit $44 posted
email me
http://www.domsmotors.com.au
NOW DISTRIBUTING FOR SUBAXTREME BASH PLATES, NUDGE AND BULLBARS

penguin

Post by penguin » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:44 pm

I figure the dimensions such as length, diameter should be the same, where the difference may be "if any" might be in the number of splines in the ends. I know that some of the drive shafts to the wheels have spline differences on where they go into the diffs ?

Thanks

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:45 pm

I would say so, but remember as the automatic transmission is a different length to the manual transmission you cannot use the manual tailshaft with the auto and vice versa. as for the splines they will be the same.

Is it the tail shaft or the centre bearing?

if it is the centre bearing you should be able unbolt the bad one and bolt in the new one.

At worse you can change the centre bearing and uni joints while you have it out.

Make sure you have something to plug the back of the transmission to stop the fluid from draining out (like the other tail shaft)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

penguin

Post by penguin » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:32 pm

It is the tail shaft, the centre bearing is OK. The problem is the uni at the rear end. It is a crimped in type. I have ordered a replacement from the US that replaces the crimped in type, but that is going to take some time and I can get a tail shaft off a turbo for less than the cost of the uni, so thought I would opt for that, at least in the short term.

Thanks

penguin

Post by penguin » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:27 am

I bought a shaft off eBay from a guy in western Sydney. I picked it up on the way through & prior to that made him confirm that is was from a MANUAL forester, he said he had both but would give me the manual one. OK

Then I remove my shaft and guess what, it is longer than the replacement. I then asked him to confirm that it was from a MANUAL, "Oh sorry, I thought the AUTO one would fit", oh I do not have the manual one now. #^#^^&**@&

So, I am now back to square one having put the old one back inso I can get back home to the Snowy Mountains. It was very noisy on the way up, it going to be interesting getting home.

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:36 pm

Which part is shorter than yours? The front section or the rear section? If it's the front section then maybe the rear sections are the same length as each other? You can probably easily unbolt them to swap around if your issue is just with the rear section.

penguin

Post by penguin » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:48 pm

Thanks, the difference is in the front sections. The only issue is that my original shaft has UJ's near the centre bearing where as the used shaft from mr eBay has a ball joint looking thing, must be a newer model thing. I can see a bolt for the UJ section to the front bit, but not sure how the ball joint thing attaches ?

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:31 pm

Yes manual to manual will fit between non turbo and turbo.

Outback to Forester won't swap.

penguin

Post by penguin » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:34 am

Thank you for that. The ability to use Turbo units opens up more choices as there seems to be a lot more Turbo vehicles being wrecked :)

I guess the Outback is longer wheelbase so the shaft is longer. In that light, the WRX is probably shorter.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri May 01, 2015 11:23 pm

Turbo or NA are the same, only difference is Manual (longer front section due to box being shorter than Auto) or Auto but this only applies to the same body shape/design.. i.e. SF Forester to SF Forester not SF Forester to SG Forester.

Just for extra info, the GC Impreza uses the same floor plan as the SF Forester, so you could use a GC Imperza Manual prop/tail shaft in a SF Forester Manual car.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”