ea81 lifter issue ?

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
pitscars007

ea81 lifter issue ?

Post by pitscars007 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:19 am

Hi all - I have an ea81 that is a "gem" reconditioned motor - it had been sitting around for quite a while - when I first started it there was a god awful tappet noise - adjusted tappets - noise much better (still bad) but seems to be coming from the camshaft end - noise disappears with an increase in revs from idle but comes back with a return to idle - any ideas ?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:30 pm

Could be that your tappets need to be adjusted again. I had a noisy one that needed to be played with a few times before it really settled down.

I'm not sure what type of lifter the EA81's use, I thought it was solid hence the need to adjust tappets, but I've been told different by a "reputable" source (can't remember who now!).

If they are hydraulic it could be an oil pressure issue or old oil not getting to the lifters at idle. If they are hydraulic I'd do several flushes with cheap oil and filters, then put in a good quality oil to run with and see if this changes the noise.

The other thing to do is to renew the oil pump seals - be sure to remove the crank pulley or you WILL break the oil pump housing. Not a cheap thing to do!

Let us know how you go ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

pitscars007

ea81 lifter issue

Post by pitscars007 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:05 am

Well I reset the valve clearances to 0.20mm and 0.30mm - no difference - sounds like little gremlins with ball peen hammers going their hardest - as to the possibility of it having hydraulic lifters - I did read somewhere that the ea81s with black rocker covers had hydraulic lifters and the rocker gear had sharp little plates to discourage adjustment - but why would mine have solid lifter adjustment ? - looks like motor out and further investigation !

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:53 pm

did you read also that Subaru did not bring any hydraulic liftered EA81 into Australia - so-o-o those black rocker covered EA81 engines would also be solids. Maybe someone found an imported as used EA81 with black rockers and set a rumour astray. Dealer told me, no part ever listed for hydraulic lifter in the book, so not an AUDM thing. Who knows, you could have a big end bearing bushung flogging out ??

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:52 pm

Might be time to remove the rocker arms and have them re-faced. If one or more are worn there is no way you can adjust the clearances correctly. I've got one dodgy one on Redback that always makes a noise - some day I'll slide the rocker's retaining/running tube out without having to touch the head bolts and have them redone.

Cheers

Bennie

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:35 pm

reface the rockers is not something I have ever considered - until now. May have to ask at machine shop.

pitscars007

Post by pitscars007 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:07 am

The noise seems to be coming from the centre of the motor - I have run the engine with the rocker covers off - lots of oil getting to the rocker gear - noise goes away with a rise in revs - comes back at idle ----- bent pushrod ? --- oil pressure issue ? do the ea81s have oil pumps that give problems ? -- the brumby that I drive every day has done over 400,000 kms (original motor) and does not make noises like this - as I said its a recon motor.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:46 am

I have rebuilt two EA81s so far by way of rebore, new pistons etc and both times the cranks have been mic'ed at being within spec, so not machined just linished and not had issues. Do you know this engine of yours is recoed, or has someone slapped on a gem sticker on a rocker cover, or rockers off a reco engine ?

Sounds like you need to youtube the sound first, then will be up to guesses, qualified and not, and again, will be you that takes any risk. A running, spinning engine is an easier reco than a brocken one :(i

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:14 am

I've got a tick tick in my ea81 - I've narrowed it down to the spacer tube between the exhaust valve rocker arms that has worn. As it goes through the motions one of the arms loads up and slides sideways into this tube creating the noise. It's a single tick sounds that's really prominent at idle even more when the engine is hot.

Worth checking out. Mine's on the driver's side.

Cheers

Bennie

tambox

Post by tambox » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:03 pm

It would be worthwhile measuring your oil pressure.
Does the motor make a knock knock sound for the first few seconds after you start it from cold?
This indicates worn crank bearings, these could be bleeding your oil pressure@ idle.
L serious, still.

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”