Still having trouble at start up

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
Vortex75

Still having trouble at start up

Post by Vortex75 » Sun May 24, 2015 9:38 am

Hey guys, my Vort is still struggling to start. Checked vacuum lines, leads, dizzy, plugs, no leaks in intake system. I have to turn it over for 5 seconds before it'll fire and then it sounds like it only 2 cylinders. It comes right after about 30 seconds of rough idling. The power light on the dash flashes while it's running rough. It's fine to drive, just rough as guys at start up. Any ideas?
Canny

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun May 24, 2015 10:03 am

Have you checked for codes? I'm assuming with your vortex, you have a computer in the Boot (up under the rear parcel shelf)with green and black plugs.

Compression in all cylinders is good?

Plugs and leads are good?

Timing is correct?

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Vortex75

Post by Vortex75 » Sun May 24, 2015 12:45 pm

I have the plugs under the parcel shelf, what do I do with them? Plugs and leads are good, not sure about the timing or cylinder compression. After a few minutes it idles fine and smooth, still drives really well with plenty of power.
Canny

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Sun May 24, 2015 1:39 pm

Mine does the same thing after sitting for a week or so. Struggles to catch, then runs with what I believe is a foul'd plug for around 30 seconds, then clears up. Mine doesnt light the ECL light though. I thought it was injectors leaking but they were fine. My other thought was that the fuel pressure reg was leaking fuel into the vacuum line but it was also fine. Maybe something to do with the charcoal cannister? maybe just leaking valve stem seals, maybe the computer gets a bit juicy on cold start up and after a week or so the cylinders have dried up. Il let you know if I do find out what causes it.

To read engine codes,

http://www.subaruxt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1819

Regards

Doug

Vortex75

Post by Vortex75 » Sun May 24, 2015 2:40 pm

Thanks mate, I'll have a go with ecu plugs tomorrow. Once it's running and I stop, if I start it again within 10-15 minutes it starts straight away.
Canny

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”