Rear Oil Seal

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
Bryan1

Rear Oil Seal

Post by Bryan1 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:01 pm

G'day Guy's,
Well with 374K on the clock my subi has finally what looks to have blown a rear seal.

Now wouldn't it figure aint really used the car in the last month as the Getz is our main get around car and the subi was put into service delivering firewood. Well with that comes a rant

Inbetween jobs so decided to cut firewood i have here on our property to help make ends meet. Put signs up around the place only to find most of them were taken down. A mate suggested I get onto the FB local chat group and after 3 loads I noticed the chain on the trailer had engine oil on it. I had a load out at the other side of the bridge and when I got out the car there was a burnt clutch smell. anyway babied the car back home to find the bellhousing nice and hot and oil seeping thru the join of the bellhousing. Had a final load for the day at Macclesfield and a nice puddle of oil was left on the road after unloading the trailer. Topped it up with oil and drove back home.

Had a look at the forum this morning and read it the oil pump can be at fault, NOPE OK the mating joint was oil dirty but the front of the oil pan was clean as so it aint the oil pump.

Got a delivery to Littlehampton in the morning then I reckon it's time my baby goes off the road.

Now got my first Subi over by the wood shed and that is the one where the head tapped holes were stripped. The wrong pitch helicoil was put in so I had to make up new head bolts and it doesn't look like they tensioned as coolant leaked into the pots. So I am thinking to rip out the motor and gearbox complete, re helicoil the block to fix the problem then do a swap so the car can get back on the road.

With the oil leak motor eh 374K and still going but tired may have to get an overhaul along with gearbox so I have a reconned setup to throw back in and get another 10 years of the old girl.

Cheers Bryan

P.S. I'm selling firewood for $180 a ton and it will be pickup only until I can get another car. Good seasoned wood and located at Kanmatoo only 35 mins from the toll gates.

justincase41

Post by justincase41 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:37 pm

Why don't you just replace the rear main seal on the current motor, only takes a good 5-6 hours without a hoist and you will back on your way rather than having to rush the motor rebuild.
Current :
1992 Brumby (Future EJ20 Conversion)
2007 Toyota Prado 120
2012 Great Wall V200 (daily driver)
1997 Subaru Outback
1999 Toyota Surf (Beach Basher)
Past:
To Many to list!

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”