EJ22 Swap into SF Foz

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:36 pm

Replace that oil separater plate for a steel one! Trust me I know from experience.

Sump gasket is gasket goo, probably three bond, I really can't remember exactly what it was other than it was grey! Well worth the effort, I did mine on Ruby Scoo and haven't touched it since.

I hope you're getting your parts through FROG! Waiting can be a pain but savings are awesome ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:16 pm

OK, I'll order it tomorrow.

What about using RTV sealant for the sump?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:42 pm

Also just noticed there's no timing belt guide...will this matter?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:18 pm

if there is no timing belt guide then you have a motor from an auto. if you can get your hands on one fit it, but my auto motor doesn't have one and i havn't had an issue since converting to manual. (25k kms so far)

s Bennie said, get rid of that plastic plate. They all fail eventually and its a motor / box out job to fix.
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:09 am

Timing belt guide?? Got mine from a manual, don't know what you're talking about!

Also that little plug in the back of the passenger side's head I wouldn't bother with. Mine started to leak, I got frustrated so it's now covered in red high temp silicone a d the leak has stopped. Not pretty but effective ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:22 pm

So I took everyone's advice & got a metal oil separation plate:

Tensioner with the pin still in:

As I pull bits off, I like how clean everything is, I think the previous owner was good with oil changes, very little residue:

Almost ready to go in. The sump was a bit rusty so it needed painting anyway, I couldnt resist this high temp paint :cool::
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

tambox

Post by tambox » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:18 pm

Nice for Nachaluva to have have a green sump, very fitting :)
L serious, still.

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:57 pm

looks a nice clean engine. shame you will be covering it in mud!
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:25 am

vincentvega wrote:looks a nice clean engine. shame you will be covering it in mud!
Not a shame at all haha ;)
tambox wrote:Nice for Nachaluva to have have a green sump, very fitting :)
Yeah, I thought so lol

The swap wasn't all plain sailing. When doing the timing belt, I swapped the EJ20 crank sprocket from a '00 NA Foz (EJ202) into the EJ22 along with the crank sensor & knock sensor (no cam sensor for my year). I didnt realise that the EJ20J sprocket is different to the EJ202 sprocket, so when everything was bolted back up & I tried starting the new engine...nothing!

I discovered the sprockets were slightly different!

EJ20J left, EJ202 middle, EJ22 right:

So, it's all finished, engine running smoothly. Although it was a bit disappointing at first as the larger EJ22 had noticeably less torque at low RPM which was the whole reason for doing it in the first place!

But the ECU has been learning & the new engine has more zip than the old although torque seems to be about the same or very slightly more.

Many thanks to Pezimm & Venom for their valuable help & knowledge doing the swap. And also to El Freddo, Dedman & RSR555 for fault finding the tricky crank sprocket issue...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:44 pm

UPDATE: It's taken a while but the ECU is learning & I'm now pretty happy with the EJ22. It has noticeably more poke in the midrange & a little more torque at low RPMs.

There's a steep hill near home in a 60kmh zone that the old EJ20J would just barely hold speed in 4th @2000RPM @60kmh. Initially, the EJ22 would lose speed but I've been doing lots of "teaching"...deliberately using a low gear/low RPM/high load to force the ECU to learn. On this hill & any other time I could, esp at 1500RPM, I'd hold it WOT & wind it out to 5000RPM so it learns all the parameters.

It's worked because the other day I had an extra 200kg plus passenger up this hill, I was sure I'd have to change gear but the revs dropped a little then held, even with the extra weight.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”