EA81T Valve Clearance

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
Matt
General Member

EA81T Valve Clearance

Post by Matt » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:41 pm

Does anyone know if the valve clearance is the same as a normal EA81 0.23 and 0.33mm?
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

Nubaru

Post by Nubaru » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:47 am

were all EA81T hydraulic liftered ? Do you know if your particular EA81T is solid or otherwise ? I know nothing , but think the turbo may need bigger clearance for a heat allowance on the exhausts. Do you have a problem other than not knowing the tolerances , doing or done something ?
member since 10january2014 #6191

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:01 pm

Just did the headgaskets and need to adjust them is all
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:27 pm

You would hope Subaru weren't being so cheap as to put solid lifters in their turbo engines :???: Hydraulic lifters don't need clearances adjusted. And there's nothing in either of my FSM's about turbo engines, and all valve clearances are the same across all EA81s in those books.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:55 pm

If they were hydraulic there were instructions somewhere on them ...willy fitsyabottom maybe ? I set my other push rod hydraulic engines as tighten tappet while spinning pushrod in fingers until the tight grips it, back off a smidge and lock'em up. I think the sube instructions are similar ?

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:52 pm

Pretty sure hydro lifters have a sticker on the rocker cover telling you not to adjust the tappets. If it doesnt have the sticker I would just assemble it with the standard tolerances.

Buddyboy

Post by Buddyboy » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:58 pm

According to the Subaru 1800 4WD Turbo Supplement 1983 Service Manual the Valve clearance for both Intake and Exhaust when engine is cold is 0 mm.
Hope this helps.
Regards Buddyboy.

"Subaru, when only the best will do".

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:02 pm

Wow, what else in that supplement BuddyBoy - in the timing advance dept ferisntance ?

Buddyboy

Post by Buddyboy » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:05 am

Intake and Exhaust valve timing?
Intake: Opening 16 Degrees BTDC, Closing 68 Degrees ABDC
Exhaust: Opening 68 Degrees BBDC, Closing 20 Degrees ATDC.
Ignition Timing BTDC 15 Degrees @ 800rpm.
Hope this is what your after.
Wouldn't have a ignition switch/steering lock for a 1989 Brumby lying around your shed somewhere, by any chance. It's the one that has the barrel holder offset by about 20 degrees.
Regards Dennis
Regards Buddyboy.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:46 am

ok ta, that is good info for starters, any more about max timing.
on the switch, yes, but it is not real good. I got new off ebay recently and turns out paid too much - the part number turned out to be a nice product part number and they have them in their online catalogue, stuffed if I know why they have a price, supposedly have to buy through a retailer. Search in here for NID 1600for more on it.... new lock and two door locks matching keys. Pretty good copies and good quality so far, just a bit odd about how plastic collar don't fit so nice ....

Buddyboy

Post by Buddyboy » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:23 pm

Timing on the EA81T that I have is partly controlled by the Knock Control Sensor that originally came with the vehicles. It's another brain box other than the main computer, controlling the advance and retard directly with the distributor. The only other reference to Ignition Timing is as follows: "Ignition Timing, without a pressure signal from the throttle body, and with gear in N or P position, and lights off. BTDC 15 Plus/minus 3 Degrees at 800 rpm" Goes on to say, " Before adjusting ignition timing, disconnect the pressure hose of the advancer of the distributor to stop the pressure function of the Distributor". The rest of the stuff is about making the adjustment. Hope this helps you and anyone else that has a EA81T. Sorry about the Hijack of your thread.
Regards Buddyboy.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:28 pm

mm, thanks, hijack continued ..... may have to mod an EA82 four pin module turbo dizzy for an EA81T project I have in mind - solid lifters ... EA82T is 20 * BTDC @ 800rpm

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:22 pm

Whats the chance of getting a copy of the full supplement??? Happy to donate to your beer fund or whatever. As i have another 2 (EA81T) in the back shed to do up one day.
Buddyboy wrote:Intake and Exhaust valve timing?
Intake: Opening 16 Degrees BTDC, Closing 68 Degrees ABDC
Exhaust: Opening 68 Degrees BBDC, Closing 20 Degrees ATDC.
Ignition Timing BTDC 15 Degrees @ 800rpm.
Hope this is what your after.
Wouldn't have a ignition switch/steering lock for a 1989 Brumby lying around your shed somewhere, by any chance. It's the one that has the barrel holder offset by about 20 degrees.
Regards Dennis
"Bianca"

"Claudia"

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”