2007 XT Forester 5MT now with Dual Range Box

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
longy99gt

2007 XT Forester 5MT now with Dual Range Box

Post by longy99gt » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:51 pm

Hi All,
I have just completed the gearbox conversion to Dual Range for my 2007 XT 5MT Forester!!! Happy days (well mostly)

So, other than now finding out the input shaft bearing is noisy, everything is working fine

the basics:
2007 SG Forester NA Dual Range Case
SF Series 1.1447 Low Range Input Gearset
4.11 Final Drive Ratio
KAAZ Clutch Type plated front 1.5WAY LSD

The specifics for the build
I collected a Dual Range SG Gearbox and rear diff but switched out the useless 1.19 low range set with a SF low range kit that i picked up from someone here.
I stumbled across someone selling the KAAZ front clutch type LSD in Adelaide (in from Perth) and took the risk a paid and got it sent over. to my relief it arrived
Sent it over the Maximum Motorsport where they checked the clamp ratings on it and it came in at 55kg which was similar to what they set it their rally cars so i left it at that.
I replaced the bearings in the center diff (rear main)
replaced the rubber seals for the output shafts
put it all back together with Paul from RSR performance (he's pretty good with Subaru's)
I tracked down the interior from someone locally wrecking a forester, which included the center console from below the air con controls all the way back, including the low range lever and cables, pins, clips etc.
I ordered a new push clutch to from competition clutches with lightweight flywheel, it was a stage 2 push clutch to suit the NA box, the clamp ratings well exceed the power coming from the XT
also replaced and upgraded were the bushings for the shifter, and the group N gearbox mount. so shifts great with no slop at all.
the front LSD is quite noticeable on road when cornering, will be interesting to see how much under-steer i get in the wet.
I will be taking it out for a basic beach run this weekend, then will look to find some rutted rocky tracks to test to LSD

all in all pretty happy with it, just to to look into this noisy bearing, unfortunately it was not replaced as it seemed to be fine, but should have been replaced looking back.

For future mods i am looking to replace the center diff with the early 5spd DCCD and upgrade the rear LSD to plated
"SUUBMARINE"

Previous Previous- 92 LX liberty wagon 5MT, FWD

Previous- 99 GT fozzy white/grey, 5MT,
UHF / 3" >2.5" exhuast / metal sump guard / custom snorkel / 2" lift / 215/70R16 ATR's / custom pine/ply boot with fridge mount/ 2 deep cycle batteries, spotties on UNIbar

Current Project: 2007 XT 5MT Urban Grey Forester
Subaextreme Bullbar and sump guard. GME 5W Super Compact UHF. Custom Boot with Deep cycle 100A Battery, Tools storage, solar controller and low Volt shut off, with Anderson input and outputs.
Whiteline HD Adjustable front and rear sway bars
Whiteline front tower brace and ultrex rear tower brace.
235/50/17 street tires, 235/60/16 ATR's
KYB struts with Raised HD Iron Man Springs. 1"Subtle Solutions strut top blocks.
20" LED Front Light Bar
Side Shade Awning on roof racks with 2x 18W LED Flood lights and 3x LED string lights in awning

Future: Solar Panel roof mounted(under roof basket), Low range Conversion (1.44), HD clutch, 3">2.5"TBE, Rear tire carrier,

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”