Problems with 2013 Forester XT

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
Greg's XT FA20 Turbo

Problems with 2013 Forester XT

Post by Greg's XT FA20 Turbo » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:23 pm

I have 2013 XT with FA20DIT engine and 60000Km. The first 40-50k the car was going OK, but currently fuel consumption is 12l/100km on open road and sometimes the car will just not go uphill. The worst of all it appears the problem is of intermittent nature and hard to fix. According to service technicians there was an abnormal carbon build up in intake manifold, but when cleaned the problem with no accelerating power is still present. Has anyone experienced the same problem, what is causing it and how to fix it? I think it could be something with EGR valve management. Thanks. Greg

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:37 pm

I can think of two other problems it may be having.

1.The up pipe from the turbo to the intercooler is prone to cracking at the joins I found out the hard way not too long ago on my wife's 2010 TD Forester. The dealership dealt with it by tightening up the clamp. which in the end split the rubber joiner completely.

I fixed it by buying a silicon hose that fit the turbo and the up pipe, you can see it in the picture above. way cheaper than a new up pipe.

2. While the DPF may not be blocked the catalytic converter could be full of particulates due to the design of the DPF. No idea how you would fix that apart from a very long drive at around 100-110 km/h in 5th gear. Or a replacement DPF.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”