EJ22 Grinding noise

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:37 am

a mechanic of some respect diagnosed stuffed diff bearings in my ute, before I bought it, so it went in for a rebuild and they found was only a front wheel bearing - but that noise was always there at any speed. Is it gonna make the journey to Paul?

Kalbarri_baru

Post by Kalbarri_baru » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:42 am

steptoe wrote:a mechanic of some respect diagnosed stuffed diff bearings in my ute, before I bought it, so it went in for a rebuild and they found was only a front wheel bearing - but that noise was always there at any speed. Is it gonna make the journey to Paul?
RAC Ultimate plus member, my vehicles always reach the destination even if it is on the back of a tow truck lol.

But I do hear everyone, Myself I still think its one of three things (Brakes, Power steering or fuel pump) but I am no Mechanic, guess I will just keep replacing stuff until it goes away.

Cheers WayneO...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Kalbarri_baru

Post by Kalbarri_baru » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:36 pm

Update.........

Ok replaced the Clutch with a HD clutch kit also replaced the gearbox with a lower Km box (Noise still there) ok so I then replaced the front wheel bearings, Front Brake pads and Rotors (Noise still there) Double checked Tripple and Quadruple checked the thermo fans on the radiator (Nope) STILL THERE..... I also ran the L without the power steering belt connected, by now you get it.

Have booked the L series in with the Mechanic again next week for replacement engine mounts also a full Front Fulcrum Suspension replacement along with a Full timing kit with water and oil pumps, ARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH. $$$$$$

BTW I was unable to make it to Perth as 15kms out of Kalbarri I felt it too noisy to continue any further, local mechanic here has been sympathetic and frustrated also with this noise, if these next replacements fail then look out for the u tube clip where I turn the L into a rally car until the offending noise reveals itself.

Cheers

WayneO............
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Kalbarri_baru

Post by Kalbarri_baru » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:03 pm

Update.........

Ok replaced the Clutch with a HD clutch kit also replaced the gearbox with a lower Km box (Noise still there) ok so I then replaced the front wheel bearings, Front Brake pads and Rotors (Noise still there) Double checked Tripple and Quadruple checked the thermo fans on the radiator (Nope) STILL THERE..... I also ran the L without the power steering belt connected, by now you get it.

Have booked the L series in with the Mechanic again next week for replacement engine mounts also a full Front Fulcrum Suspension replacement along with a Full timing kit with water and oil pumps, ARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH. $$$$$$

BTW I was unable to make it to Perth as 15kms out of Kalbarri I felt it too noisy to continue any further, local mechanic here has been sympathetic and frustrated also with this noise, if these next replacements fail then look out for the u tube clip where I turn the L into a rally car until the offending noise reveals itself.

Cheers

WayneO............
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:35 pm

sure it is a grinding noise and not a rattle like a cat i a state of decay ? It would rattle at various speeds and loads. I have had to pick bits out before and got a hollow aircraft like exhaust underneath. This is really starting to pee me off. Bloody hurry up and find it will ya !!

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:39 pm

Man, I hate noises like that, the kind that just doesn't go away :(

Any chance of a youtube clip of the noise itself? Maybe someone here has heard it before...
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:44 pm

Sorry to say WayneO but I hope you don't find it - I want to see this YouTube clip of your "new" rally L series :twisted:

On a serious note I'm surprised with that amount of work you didn't come across it :(

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:03 am

sounds like a butchers band saw you said ? How come I did not read this before ? That is a bit like an exhaust heat shield or loose cat guts at a certain sort of frequency ....

Kalbarri_baru

Post by Kalbarri_baru » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:05 am

steptoe wrote:sure it is a grinding noise and not a rattle like a cat i a state of decay ? It would rattle at various speeds and loads. I have had to pick bits out before and got a hollow aircraft like exhaust underneath. This is really starting to pee me off. Bloody hurry up and find it will ya !!
Yeah forgot to mention when the Gearbox was out we also went over the exhaust system also, its not the cat thats for sure the cat went walkabout a long time ago.

Cheers

WayneO..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Kalbarri_baru

Post by Kalbarri_baru » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:08 am

Silverbullet wrote:Man, I hate noises like that, the kind that just doesn't go away :(

Any chance of a youtube clip of the noise itself? Maybe someone here has heard it before...
That's a great idea I will try to do that, the only prob I could see is the wind rush sound on the mike distorting any other sounds, unless I mount the phone under the bonnet Hmmmmm might work.

Cheers

WayneO...........
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Kalbarri_baru

Post by Kalbarri_baru » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:17 am

El_Freddo wrote:Sorry to say WayneO but I hope you don't find it - I want to see this YouTube clip of your "new" rally L series :twisted:

On a serious note I'm surprised with that amount of work you didn't come across it :(

Cheers

Bennie
LOL yeah bloke I hear that, on the up side I know all those other eventual jobs have all been done around the same time and will help keep track in the future when things will need replacing.

Can't remember mentioning that I need 5 new tyres also as they have stopped making the exact Maxxis tyres that I want, I can get one tyre here and one tyre there but I want a matching set (5) that are easy to source incase replacement is needed.

Ireckon the L will look schmicko around the end of this year when everything would have been done (Mechanical and Cosmetic).

Cheers

WayneO.............
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:11 am

Checked out the tailshaft and all CV joints?

Kalbarri_baru

Post by Kalbarri_baru » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:35 pm

AndrewT wrote:Checked out the tailshaft and all CV joints?
Yup done that also when the gearbox was out, heavy duty cv's are only 3 months old, uni's are ok on tail shaft.

Cheers

WayneO.............
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:57 pm

WaynO, you didnt mention if killing the engine stopped the noise? Alternator fan?

Doug

Kalbarri_baru

Post by Kalbarri_baru » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:00 pm

Subydoug wrote:WaynO, you didnt mention if killing the engine stopped the noise? Alternator fan?

Doug
Heya Doug,
Changing the Alternator to a brand new one was the first job I done, still not keen on killing the engine at 60kmh, not sure if I have got to speed and dropped it out of gear, back in 5 as gonna try that now.

Nope that didnt work either, still going to try the recording of the sound tomorrow after work by strapping the phone under the bonnet.

Next week the Full Timing kit with water and oil pump go in so will rip the radiator and thermo's out again and make sure there are no loose bolts, screws or wiring causing any noises.

Cheers mate

WayneO.....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:54 am

So you can rule out anything engine related now :D

Those CVs - made by a reputible company? You'll be surprised how quickly cheap cvs can start doing weird things!

And a new oil pump? Is it really necessary? I've never swapped an oil pump on an EJ, only replaced the O ring in there...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:09 am

hmmm, i have had CV shafts sold by a company with a reputation, that developed a click within 3 weeks, another a wobble in a few months - all due to the EA81 twin carb punisher !

Kalbarri_baru

Post by Kalbarri_baru » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:44 am

El_Freddo wrote:So you can rule out anything engine related now :D

Those CVs - made by a reputible company? You'll be surprised how quickly cheap cvs can start doing weird things!

And a new oil pump? Is it really necessary? I've never swapped an oil pump on an EJ, only replaced the O ring in there...

Cheers

Bennie
Heya Bennie,

Yeah mate I try to source the best I can get and the CV's are made by Alan's CV's in Perth, the are the 6 ball design not the tripod design that generally fails quite quickly in a lifted L.

With the oil pump, hey we will be putting a new timing kit through so jobs half done without an oil pump going in even if its for my own peace of mind and besides I know the L will be 100 percent ready to tackle anything without any mechanical failures, cause they always sneak up when you least expect it.

Hey you were right about one thing though, the $5 at the wreckers plastic cover does look good even though it serves no purpose.

Cheers

WayneO............
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Kalbarri_baru

Post by Kalbarri_baru » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:47 am

steptoe wrote:hmmm, i have had CV shafts sold by a company with a reputation, that developed a click within 3 weeks, another a wobble in a few months - all due to the EA81 twin carb punisher !
Heya Bloke,
Were they REPCO brand, had the same problem way back on my first lifted L but you were luckier than me, mine lasted one week before the click started.

Cheers

WayneO...............
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Kalbarri_baru

Post by Kalbarri_baru » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:52 pm

Subydoug wrote:WaynO, you didnt mention if killing the engine stopped the noise? Alternator fan?

Doug
Heya Doug,
Out of utter frustration I tried your suggestion of cutting the engine out of gear and the noise was still there, cheers bloke I know that rules out the engine now, should have done that before anything else, Back to the Brakes again now.

I also tried to record the sound both under the bonnet and inside the car but too much engine noise under the bonnet and too much wind noise when recording it from inside the car.

Cheers

WayneO...........
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”