EJ22 Grinding noise

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
Kalbarri_baru

EJ22 Grinding noise

Post by Kalbarri_baru » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:47 pm

Just about ready to go back to an EA82 in my L Series, I have an EJ22 converted L series with Liberty front running gear, everything south of the adapter plate is L Series (Clutch, Diff, Gearbox).

I have been spending reasonable $$ to get this L up to scratch, but it seems the more I have something fixed or repaired more problems appear (I know, thats cars for ya) but this new prob has both myself and the local Mechanic stumped.

I now have a grinding sound (I will be as descriptive as possible).

Ok, I can only explain this noise as sounding like a butchers bandsaw from a distance cutting into bone (Or a thermo fan only just touching a radiator) BTW I have checked to see if it was the thermo and radiator touching.

Now this noise only starts when I reach about 70kmh and gets worse as I speed up, but nothing obvious, Mechanic in Kalbarri says it sounds expensive (Great), anyone have any ideas (Please).

Cheers WayneO........
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:26 pm

Sounds gearbox related; I know it's probably silly to suggest but has the adapter plate got sufficient clearance around the flywheel ring gear? Starter motor retracting all the way properly? Or maybe the gearbox is sick, how many k's on it?
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:29 pm

drive it 'til it shows itself a bit more serious ?

Is it worse in reverse ?
OK, I can't do 70 in reverse either :) but does it do it in reverse or maybe any different in FWD or 4WD ?

Wondering if it is starter pinion flopping about and sliding into the flys ring gear ?

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:00 pm

Do you know what RPM it starts at? I had a similar problem in the brumby. it was the exhaust pushed up against the motor (the sump) sending vibrations through the exhaust and into the body of the car.

It only happened when the car was in gear and It was happening at the 2000 rpm mark for me.

As well the throw out bearing for the clutch could be the culprit as well if it is failing and dragging on the fingers of the pressure plate it will make a hell of a noise.

Or a bearing in the gearbox is unhappy :(

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

poprock1

Post by poprock1 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:42 pm

If it starts at 70kmh, consider this. A local garage had a Gemini come in with a noise that started at 80kmh. After the mechanics test run the owner was a bit red faced when it turned out to be a loose chrome windscreen mould flapping merrily in the breeze.(at 80kmh)

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:50 am

You'll need to pin point where its coming from first, then a probable diagnoses can be taken from that.

I'd suggest to get a mate to take it for a drive while you do a search for it from the passengers side ( to get a different direction on it )

hope you can get the sucker ... :)

Ciao, Bantum ...

Tigger

Post by Tigger » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:28 am

I had a squeal in my diesel Forester that made me think the turbo was on its way out - it was terrible and made people on the sides of the road look at the car when it made the noise!! Thankfully it only turned out to be a heat shield rattling!! It did take the Subaru dealer several attempts and different theories to try and locate and fix the problem...
ImageImageImage
2012 Subaru Forester - 2.0D Premium ~ 2002 Subaru Forester - Limited (Lifted)

Kalbarri_baru

Post by Kalbarri_baru » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:35 pm

Just back from the local Mechanic, he reckons gearbox, I am lost for other ideas other than that except for perhaps the Power steering.

Last night I went all over the L and tightened every loose bolt and nut, Paul Suggested that I check the fuel pump (good idea) as it was loose but not the problem, then I found the main pulley in front of the timing belt cover was rubbing into the plastic timing belt cover on one side leaving a deep groove and almost cutting through (fixed that but not the prob).

Heading to Perth from Kalbarri on Sunday after work so that is 700kms and I am sure by the time I hit Perth (if I make it) then the problem should be obvious, got some piece of mind being an RAC member with the ultimate breakdown cover.

Will keep everyone posted with result and pics.

Cheers WayneO..................
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Kalbarri_baru

Post by Kalbarri_baru » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:40 pm

Silverbullet wrote:Sounds gearbox related; I know it's probably silly to suggest but has the adapter plate got sufficient clearance around the flywheel ring gear? Starter motor retracting all the way properly? Or maybe the gearbox is sick, how many k's on it?
Not sure about the adapter plate but will get Paul to check it out, the Starter motor is one thing that I have not checked and will look at that one straight away, as for how many k's on the gearbox I am not sure as I only bought this one (L Series) in Nov 2015.

Noise now obvious around 40kmh (getting worse).

Cheers WayneO...................
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Kalbarri_baru

Post by Kalbarri_baru » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:56 pm

TOONGA wrote:Do you know what RPM it starts at? I had a similar problem in the brumby. it was the exhaust pushed up against the motor (the sump) sending vibrations through the exhaust and into the body of the car.

It only happened when the car was in gear and It was happening at the 2000 rpm mark for me.

As well the throw out bearing for the clutch could be the culprit as well if it is failing and dragging on the fingers of the pressure plate it will make a hell of a noise.

Or a bearing in the gearbox is unhappy :(

TOONGA
Yeah checked all the Exhaust and tailshaft area for scaring or rubbing but nothing there, gonna get Paul to do the Clutch and looks like the gearbox whilst I am in Perth.

Timing belt cover with grind marks in it.

Cheers WayneO................
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:11 pm

80kmph - up hill/downhill/cruising on the flat - is there any change?

It could be brake related. A mate had a rattle in the rear end at cruise. Turned out it was due to no shims on the rear pads.

Other things to look at:
- engine and gearbox mounts - worn or stuffed? A broken one might allow the engine to touch something at these speeds but not do it long enough at low speed to hear it.
- sabiliser rod fitted correctly and doing the right thing? This shoud be fitted between the firewall and the engine or gearbox under where the spare tyre usually goes.
- dirt in the brakes?
- something else fitted to your subi that's creating the vibration/noise?
- tyre rubbing on something like the inner guard protector? Check them to make sure one or both are not loose as these can make quite a bit of noise through the cabin if they're allowed to rub on the tyre.
- wheel nuts correctly tensioned?

That's all I can think of a the moment.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:18 pm

If it's now present at 40kmph, you sure it's not a wheel bearing gone dry?

If its coming down in speed at the point you can hear it the issue has to be with something that is a constant relative to vehicle speed - so a main bearing in the gearbox could be the go but it could also be a drive shaft, wheel bearing or brake issue.

Be safe on the drive south!

Cheers

Bennie

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:22 pm

Easy check wayne, get up to speed. Push clutch in and observe noise. Neutral with clutch in. Neutral with clutch out. Maybe even try 4 or third with clutch depressed while rolling at speed. You can kill the engine while your rolling to get a better ear full, it will also rule out the engine making the noise. Make sure the box has oil in it.

Regards

Doug

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:24 pm

May not be a good idea to kill the engine while at speed as the Power Steering may not be too happy.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:02 pm

No power steering if I remember correctly...

Just be aware that your power assisted brakes will most likely only have one use in them before it's all leg power - it'll feel like you're trying to push a brick through the floor to get the vehicle to pull up to a stop. And that used to be standard!

Cheers

Bennie

Nubaru

Post by Nubaru » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:40 pm

post #8 suggests he may have power steering

has the stumped mechanic been able to witness the noise ?
member since 10january2014 #6191

poprock1

Post by poprock1 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:43 am

Just remembered had a similar noise in a Daihatsu Sirion. The inner plastic mudguard shield was missing a bolt and was bending back to touch the front wheel at freeway speeds. Was discovered by a carpenter friend. Embarrassing, but better than paying for major repairs. (Just re-read El Freddo's post.Same same.)

Kalbarri_baru

Post by Kalbarri_baru » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:13 pm

El_Freddo wrote:80kmph - up hill/downhill/cruising on the flat - is there any change?

It could be brake related. A mate had a rattle in the rear end at cruise. Turned out it was due to no shims on the rear pads.

Other things to look at:
- engine and gearbox mounts - worn or stuffed? A broken one might allow the engine to touch something at these speeds but not do it long enough at low speed to hear it.
- sabiliser rod fitted correctly and doing the right thing? This shoud be fitted between the firewall and the engine or gearbox under where the spare tyre usually goes.
- dirt in the brakes?
- something else fitted to your subi that's creating the vibration/noise?
- tyre rubbing on something like the inner guard protector? Check them to make sure one or both are not loose as these can make quite a bit of noise through the cabin if they're allowed to rub on the tyre.
- wheel nuts correctly tensioned?

That's all I can think of a the moment.

Cheers

Bennie
Heya Bennie,

Wow quite a list there, but can say for sure its not the tyres and guards, however I was thinking brakes also but the mechanic up here said the brakes were not the prob.

Will get Paul to check the stabiliser rod in a couple of days.

All the mounts seem ok but again will get Paul to check that one out also.

Cheers for advice

WayneO......
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Kalbarri_baru

Post by Kalbarri_baru » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:16 pm

Subydoug wrote:Easy check wayne, get up to speed. Push clutch in and observe noise. Neutral with clutch in. Neutral with clutch out. Maybe even try 4 or third with clutch depressed while rolling at speed. You can kill the engine while your rolling to get a better ear full, it will also rule out the engine making the noise. Make sure the box has oil in it.

Regards

Doug
Heya Doug,

Will catch up with you in a few days.

Yeah done all that except for the kill engine whilst in motion, might skip that one for now and let Paul have a good listen.

Cheers Bloke and seya soon.

WayneO.......
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Kalbarri_baru

Post by Kalbarri_baru » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:19 pm

Nubaru wrote:post #8 suggests he may have power steering

has the stumped mechanic been able to witness the noise ?
Heya Nubaru,

Yeah mate the Mechanic in Kalbarri said its gearbox related noises and has heard it when he took for a test drive.

Cheers

WayneO............

Gonna need some help in the multi quote department as I only know how to single quote.................
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”