Brumby clutch

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:15 pm

There should be a steel lifting hook bolted at the front of the engine block, right above the crank pulley. There should also be a steel bracket on the bell housing that you can put a D shackle through.

Here's a (really!) old pic I found on my PC, hopefully you can see the hooks on this pic.

Attachments
262145_1662423060827_6445695_n (Medium).jpg
262145_1662423060827_6445695_n (Medium).jpg (104.35 KiB) Viewed 6130 times
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

David D

Post by David D » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:23 pm

Thanks, that's just what I need.

David D

Post by David D » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:33 pm

Got the engine out today and took the clutch out to order a new one. Should be here tomorrow - 225mm and 21 splines just for info.
Everything came apart ok, the trickiest bit was actually separating the engine from the transmission. Had to wiggle it about a fair bit to get it free from the studs. It was also a bit tight getting my trolley jack under the transmission with the crane in the way. At least it's out.
The surfaces of the clutch and flywheel are almost like chrome - no wonder it's been shuddering. Also, the flywheel I got from U-Pull-It seems to be the right size! Came up great after machining.
Now I just have to fight with the flywheel bolts and do the rear main seal before putting it all back together.

David D

Post by David D » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:10 pm

Got the engine back in today, went in ok apart from the last 50mm or so. Everything was lined up but I just couldn't seem to get the block to meet the transmission. Lots of jiggling and wiggling and pushing and pulling and swearing got it there eventually.
I also swapped the steering rack for a (hopefully) better one which took a bit of time so I haven't connected everything back up yet.
Already dreading the restart - always wonder if I've done something wrong or forgot something.....

David D

Post by David D » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:29 pm

Got everything back together and took the car round the block today. Didn't go far but i can still drive it and change gear so hopefully all will be good. Won't fully relax until I get a few more kms under my belt tho....

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:52 pm

Didn't go far as in you didn't drive it far or it didn't let you drive it far??

You've done well mate. A lot of people shy away from a clutch change thinking the cost makes it a task beyond anyone who hasn't been trained to do one...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:00 pm

That's great news! :) Well done on the first time swapping a clutch in an EA81 ;) And yep that last 50mm is always the hardest part, if you don't have a clutch alignment tool (or a cut off input shaft stub :mrgreen: ) makes it all the more frustrating.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

David D

Post by David D » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:44 am

Thanks guys

Bennie, I meant I didn't drive it very far - just a quick test drive.
It was a big job but more in terms of the amount of things to do rather than difficulty.

And yeah, Silverbullet, that cut off input shaft works a treat - everyone should have one!

Cheers

David

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”