CV Shaft suppliers for MY

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
Cliff R
General Member

CV Shaft suppliers for MY

Post by Cliff R » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:47 pm

Anyone have any advice on sellers of decent/good quality/complete CV shafts for the front of MY's.
Specifically looking for sellers on ebay at this stage and to replace both the front shafts with the next 3 to 6 months.
From memory there are CV's with the 6 ball cage and others with a sort of tri bearing design.
Only want the original 6 ball cage type of CV as this appears the most reliable and long lasting.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:31 pm

considering that suppliers to certain brand names may change from time to time . the repco branded ones I put in 8 years and 100,000km ago in my Brumby have served me well so far. Surprised myself actually going on past experiences !

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:13 pm

OK, another question, I have only experiencec the 6 ball caged CV's but I understand there is also the Tripog bearing design with a 3 needle bearing design.
Anyone have any experiences with the Tripod type, are they any better or not compared to the 6 ball type.
My thoughts are that if I am handed a complete CV shaft with boots and all fitted how do I know what type of CV I am buying ?
I would prefer the 6 ball type but looking on line I cant tell what design of CV there is hidden under the boots.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:00 pm

Stay away from the tripod ones, they do not work on these cars. I had one pair clicking and popping in a straight line from new.

I happened upon a pair of aftermarket shafts that were the 6 bearing cage type, the only way I could tell was because they were clean shiny steel on the outside, could see the heat treatment marks as 6 discolored lines on the outside cup of the inner joint. They lasted about 3 weeks before they were clicking and popping too. But then my ute seems to love chewing out CV shafts for no apparent reason.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

JP147

Post by JP147 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:23 pm

I had a tripod style one. Very cheap but the spline was loose on the gearbox stub so I didn't use it for long.

The Autoforce ones from Sprint auto are good 6 ball OEM spec and should last years.

Often what kills CV boots prematurely is when they are near the exhaust and exposed to heat a lot of the time.

Bantum
General Member

Shaft Appearances ...

Post by Bantum » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:11 pm

Ye can tell the type of shaft by the shape of the external housing ( Sometimes ) :
  • 6 cage bearings ones are almost round on the outside ( It may have Flat spots corresponding to bearing locations ) ...
  • While tripods should have a distinct '3 sided' shape ( not always ) ...
If nothing is visible - The other way is to take a 'feel of it' through the boot ( don't have to take a boot off ) ... Don't know if that helps Ya, but we should try a get some examples together & post them here for later ... :???:

Add : http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fits-Subaru- ... 1694724570

Or : http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DRIVETECH-CV ... 1694724570

Ciao, Bantum ...

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:05 am

Thanks everyone.
I am thinking to make a big point of asking for the construction of the CV before buying to see what info comes back.
May also look at out local AutoPro as they are reliable and get good info.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:30 am

Hey Cliff have you looked into the availability of the rear shafts? Only asking as I really need a set for Ruby Scoo, I haven't had much luck but also have t really made any solid inquiries either.

Also I've not seen the tri star inner cup setup for the my or L series shafts before.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:13 pm

Bennie
I haven't had to look into the rear CV's.
I am still running the original 34 year old units and cant even recall having to change boots on the rear in the 18 years we have had the car.

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”