EA81 front crankshaft oil seal replacement.

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
Cliff R
General Member

EA81 front crankshaft oil seal replacement.

Post by Cliff R » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:48 pm

I have the front crankshaft pulley off (long story in itself to get this off) and I am about to pull the old seal behind the pulley.
Any advice on installing the:
- New seal - on the OD, fit it with some sort of sealant or just some oil.
-any sealant used on the pulley bolt when installing or just install and torque up ?
I have too many different manual I think as some say to use a sealant on the seal OD and some say to simply use, oil on the OD and grease on the inner seal lips.
The only Factory Subaru manual I have is for an L series (Section 1) and it is stating the oil on the OD and grease on the ID.
Also seeing mixed instruction to use or not to use a thread sealant on the pulley bolt.
Thoughts ?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:50 pm

OD of seal - I've never put anything on them! ID rubber grease to prime the seal.

Pulley bolt - I've used a bit of the Chrome Molly cv grease on the thread and the mounting face of the bolt. This allows proper torquing of the bolt and of the grease manages to go dry it's not going to seize on. Doing this has not had one come off so far...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:31 am

El_Freddo wrote:OD of seal - I've never put anything on them! ID rubber grease to prime the seal.

Pulley bolt - I've used a bit of the Chrome Molly cv grease on the thread and the mounting face of the bolt. This allows proper torquing of the bolt and of the grease manages to go dry it's not going to seize on. Doing this has not had one come off so far...

Cheers

Bennie
Thanks Bennie. When I pulled the pulley bolt off I noted I must have used some silicon under the bolt head as there was a rubber "washer" under the head of the bolt that would have been created from the silicon within the gap between the end of the crankshaft and the outer face of the pulley. Unfortunately, the last time I replaced this seal would have been in 2000 or 2001 so my memory isn't going back that far but I must have used the silicon to seal in any possible oil that may leak between the OD of the crank and the ID of the pulley. Might do this again this time.
Did note that it was high time to replace the seal as the old one fragmented and chipped on the inner lips as I pulled it out so it has hardened up a bit over time.

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:34 am

Oh yes, anyone have a factory Subaru manual or know for certain what the tightening torque is for the pulley bolt.
I have manuals which are telling me anywhere between 53 and 74 Nm. This is a big difference so I want to do what Subaru recommend not what Gregories/Haynes etc state if it is different to Subaru's requirements.

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:45 pm

For other reference I found the following on line in the Subaru engine manual Chapter 03 page 3-72.

In reference to installing the crankshaft pulley & bolt.

27) Install crankshaft pulley on crankshaft with flange bolt.
Torque: 64 to 74Nm/ 6.5 to 7.5 kgm/47 to 54 ftlb
Note:
a. When tightening the bolt, insert a screw driver through the timing hole into the hole in the drive plate (AT) or flywheel (MT) to prevent the crankshaft from turning.
b. Apply engine oil on the thread, and liquid gasket (Three Bond 1215 or the equivalent) on the flange seat.
c. Pulley diameter:
1600 cc: 109 mm (4.29 in)
1800 cc: 119 mm (4.69 in)

Again, on line, Three Bond 1215 equivalents are:

3M T-3 Silicone (black)
Loctite/Permatex 599

Not particularly happy with a screw driver into the flywheel though.

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”