'83 Leone EA81 Gearbox Replacement

Everything Engine, Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts for the EJ series models - NA & Boosted
SlowMango

'83 Leone EA81 Gearbox Replacement

Post by SlowMango » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:15 am

Hi guys,
Long time lurker but first time poster.
My '83 Leone Wagon recently decided it no longer liked its gearbox while going uphill on a highway. I think it has something to do with the selector slipping out of position (will go into 3rd and neutral but nothing else).
Therefore I'm in the market for a new gearbox, but I need a bit of help. I've never done anything like this and just wondering if I need to get a gearbox from my exact model car or would one from any EA81 fit in?
Or is it worth trying to fix my current gearbox?
I will be taking it to a mechanic as I think this is beyond my capabilities, but need to source a gearbox myself.

It's a 1983 Leone 1800 Wagon 4sp Manual EA81

Cheers.

Re: '83 Leone EA81 Gearbox Replacement

Post by Guest » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:00 am

I would be looking at the linkages first and making sure the Selector rod is tight as it can make it difficult to get into gear. There is a pin that gets super sloppy and the fix is to put a bolt throw and a cut down the tube so you can tighten it up.

And as for your other question any 4 speed from a EA81 vehicle will fit. There is 3 different type manuals, 2WD, 4WD Hi only, and 4WD Hi/Low you will just have to find the one for you.

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:02 am

I would be looking at the linkages first and making sure the Selector rod is tight as it can make it difficult to get into gear. There is a pin that gets super sloppy and the fix is to put a bolt throw and a cut down the tube so you can tighten it up.

And as for your other question any 4 speed from a EA81 vehicle will fit. There is 3 different type manuals, 2WD, 4WD Hi only, and 4WD Hi/Low you will just have to find the one for you.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:07 am

Welcome to the forum SlowMango! Bit of a shame that it's due to your gearbox issues though. Sweet looking MY!!

Further to the gearbox advice above, make sure the replacement box matches your rear diff ratio. There should be a little sticker on the back of the diff that states the ratio. It'll either be 3.7 or 3.9. I know the 3.7 is the most common but I'm unsure if the 3.9 actually came out in the MY series or just the L series.

The L series 5 speed box is a good upgrade, but requires some modifications to make it work/fit right. Do a search on here and the USMB for DIY guides ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “EJ Drivetrain”