Removing EJ Injectors

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
PeeJay

Removing EJ Injectors

Post by PeeJay » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:30 pm

Hi everyone,

I've got a problem on my EJ20T, the fuel injectors on the left side don't seem to be working very well. I've eliminated spark as a problem so I've been trying to check the injectors + wiring.

1) How the heck do I get the electrical connector off? (1 hr later...)
2) How do you get the injectors out?
3) What is the normal method of checking fuel flow in the fuel rail?

Thanks!

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:54 am

Pliers if they are stuck on there. On the under side is a tab that has to be pressed in for the plugs to unclip. With age they become very difficult to undo as you know. Simply get a pair of pliers on them, compress the tab and wriggle the plug around a bit. Once they start to move they will come off easily.

Getting the injectors out can be a dead set nightmare with limited tools. I just use a screw driver levered under where the plugs clips on. If you try it any where else before the injectors start to move you take them out bit by bit. They will be greased up after you have had them cleaned so refitting is simple. Be careful not to lose the 2 O-rings and 1 washer from around the injectors when you take them out. Also pay attention to the order they come out down in the bottom.

The fuel rails in them are pretty good and don't usually block up. Injectors do if it is from an import. We have had stacks of them that have had sticky injectors from importers.

Did the fuel that was in the rails stink? We have found that if the fuel in the rails is off then you can pretty well expect clagged injectors. Common problem.

PeeJay

Post by PeeJay » Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:01 pm

Ok, got them out.

I let them sit in injector cleaner for a few hours and put them back in, they half work now. I guess I'll have to get them done properly.

fredsub

Post by fredsub » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:11 pm

seeing as the EJ question is anwsered, I need to ask about the EA injectors and how to remove them, I have a spare set still connected to fuel rails, not mounted on engine, so that makes it harder....
anyway the short hose between injector and fuel rail does not budge....either end should come off ?
yeah bit worried I'll damage them....the short hose is that just EFI fuel line or something else special? it seems to be very hard stuff....or has it only got that way with age?
Thanks

tim_81coupe
General Member

Post by tim_81coupe » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:49 pm

That fuel hose is only EFI type stuff, nothing special.

I've not removed an EA injector, but I had a very good look at some today sitting in-situ (on Jaffa's EA82T's) and the only way I could see to remove them was to cut that hose. That said, re-installing them would be stupidly difficult.

Maybe the whole rail has to be unbolted / loosened?
82 MY Wagon, EJ20G

87 RX, EJ20G

89 Brumby, EA81

12 BRZ, FA20

fredsub

Post by fredsub » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:07 pm

If you just want to move one whole set between motors, the fuel rail comes off easy enough, leave the injectors joined to the fuel rail.

time_81coupe wrote:re-installing them would be stupidly difficult.
:? hmm :?: you must know something I don't yet... :wink:

If the original hose is cut, new hose can be lubed and fitted on easily enough?? maybe not ?

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”