4wd to rwd

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
DODelaney

4wd to rwd

Post by DODelaney » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:41 pm

hey guys
when i bought my RX
the previous owner decided to remove the CVs and leave it in 4wd. so now im running rwd, will this be damaging my diff ??

link to my pics and post about her
showthread.php?p=75569#post75569

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:56 pm

Shouldnt do.

Its an R160 i believe, its supposed to be a pretty tough diff for its size
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

INEEDABEER

Post by INEEDABEER » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:11 pm

The previous owner did what????????????
]Hey I know Jack Schitte!
[/SIZE]

madmat

Post by madmat » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:28 pm

I would be putting the CVs back in if i were you. the car was designed to have 4wd and so putting all the drive through the rear only will shorten the diff life.
I belive the OBW (outback wagon) has a power split arangement so that only 50% power is ever given to either diff so imagine how the diff feels when it get twice that. Not happy Jan:(

nothing wrong as far as i know running like this in the short term though. I blew the rear diff in a Toyota Bunderra and run for a couple of weeks on the front diff only.

DODelaney

Post by DODelaney » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:42 pm

so i should put the CVs back in ??
ok it will be done when motor is back in :)
INEEDABEER--old mate thought he would try drift it :(

subalex

Post by subalex » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:55 pm

I don't know for sure about that being a problem really. As said in an earlier post, they are a pretty tough diff. The same kind used in Datto 1600s that are used in rallys and they're always in rwd. There have also been some pretty well modified Subies, one Brumby comes to mind featured in a Hot4s mag years ago, where an WRX motor has been mated up to the gearbox run only in rwd too as a work ute carrying motors and gearboxes around.

My opinion, if it works already and you check the diff oil regularly for metal wear (grey metal flecks through it) and nothing shows up then you're obviously fine. As for AWD boxes such as an Outback or Liberty, they're set up to drive up to 90% power to one end or the other as needed so they are designed and tested to do so, they're not really made weaker because they expect to be running 50/50.
'91 Sportswagon - 3" lifted, 14" speedys, 27" Nankangs + lots of small details improved. Wouldn't mind some extra grunt from an EJ.

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:40 am

INEEDABEER wrote:The previous owner did what????????????
A lot of people who dont like the idea of FWD or rather drive in RWD mode they get an Cup to lock the front diff shafts to enable RWD but if these cars have P/T 4WD will require to pull the 4WD selector up.

Subaru's rear diff isn't really designed to have all these stress in rear and I believe he has Clutch LSD.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

Craigus

Post by Craigus » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:13 am

There might also be legal / insurance issues with doing this. What happens if you have an accident and the modification is discovered ?
ImageImage

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:35 am

Craigus wrote:There might also be legal / insurance issues with doing this. What happens if you have an accident and the modification is discovered ?
Valid point.

I don't believe it will be doing the diff any damage. I know a bloke that had a turbo ute that he drove for years just in RWD.

The L's and MY's are better to drive when rear wheel drive. No torque steer or cv shudder/vibration.

It is a useless way to have your car for when the roads are wet or if you want/need 4wd.

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:40 am

AlpineRaven wrote:A lot of people who dont like the idea of FWD or rather drive in RWD mode they get an Cup to lock the front diff shafts to enable RWD but if these cars have P/T 4WD will require to pull the 4WD selector up.
Can you clarify this?
I don't understand what you're saying.
Settlement Creek Racing

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:40 am

either does he ;)
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

BrennyV

Post by BrennyV » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:45 am

if only it was as easy as my mates gtr ;)
pull abs fuse and ur ripping up a set of rears in a blink of an eye :O
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
VER7 STI (FOR SALE) & RIP EJ22 AWD LEONE
PIX @ www.webshots.com/user/4muff

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Hunter S. Thompson
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quote ... 02861.html

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:08 pm

brumbyrunner wrote:Can you clarify this?
I don't understand what you're saying.
Alpine was just giving quick explaination of how people "RWD convert" their MY or L series cars.

They just remove the front shafts and put blank outer CV cups in instead (to hold the hub together).
This means that you have to have the 4x4 lever in the engaged position at all times so the rear wheels are driven.
The car still works fine because of the locked centre diff in standard part time MY and L series gearboxes.

My 2 cents is that these cars do work okay like this but damage invariably IS done over time. The rear diffs themselves can usually take the punishment but the rear driveshafts and diff hanger bar will eventually show signs of weakness. They aren't designed to have 100% of the car's power put through them.
Although this is probably more common with people who do this and run a welded rear diff - this is required for maximum rwd fun!!

SUBYDAZZ

Post by SUBYDAZZ » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:42 pm

madmat wrote:I would be putting the CVs back in if i were you. the car was designed to have 4wd and so putting all the drive through the rear only will shorten the diff life.
I belive the OBW (outback wagon) has a power split arangement so that only 50% power is ever given to either diff so imagine how the diff feels when it get twice that.
With the Subarus that have a centre diff (i.e. not most* L or MY) - viscous, clutch type or open - then at any time there is potential for *effectively* 100% of the drive to be apportioned to front or rear diff, surely it has been engineered to accept this? For the L-Series 100% of drive is usually sent to the front diff and I don't think that ever really bothers them ;)

Not a lot has changed with the rear diffs in most models, and since the same diffs can be found in Subarus with 54kw to over 154kW then surely the rear diffs can certainly accommodate all the power of the lower powered models without issue (as it's be less than half of what the higher powered ones would be getting at any point anyway). Yes, some of the higher powered Imprezas have had the R180 diffs instead of the R160, but look a the vehicles which had the same diffs from other makes - RWD.

As Brett says, certainly the L Series will handle differently with this set-up, but they handled a lot better in 4WD than FWD anyway.

One caveat is that there are at least several cases I know where people have blown rear diffs / CVs, though I think there is a usually a good reason for that in how they were being treated at the time (anyone care to give examples?). In any case, I'd imagine you're more likely to break an axle-shaft / CV than the diff itself.

On the upside, you'll probably find your front tyres will wear a little less :)
SUBYDAZZ

mattw

Post by mattw » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:59 pm

I'm sure one of my very rare posts was on this.
I was curious myself, and so I did it to my L before the ea82t went in.
Results:
1. benefits of improved handling/corner balance when flexing in the hills, hanging the tail out on power
2. no more annoying front spinner action when cornering or taking off, just hook up and go!
3. first ever burnout in a subaru, and not a single spinner, both hooked up while the diff was still marginally lsd.(am I 34 or 14, I forget!!!!)
4. busted transfer gears while doodling away from lights, under minimal load. can anyone say "low cycle fatigue"?
the diff is not the problem, the transfer gears at the back of the box are. Steve_rising_sun shared my view that they are not designed to take full load all the time, at best 50% load, sometimes.
it lasted well over a year, on a tired box, so all the best if you wanta give it a go........ just have a spare box handy!

theclick

Post by theclick » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:33 pm

On this topic, I've never done it, but does it harm to drive in 4wd (l series) in the wet? I figured it would bind up and do all sorts of horrid things

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:00 pm

theclick wrote:does it harm to drive in 4wd in the wet?

It all depends on how slippery the road is. If its smooth tar (like highway tar) and its raining heavily, there is probably enough slip to make it safe.

I drove 20km in 4WD in the pouring rain with nearly 1/2 ton of dirt in a trailer. I had to use 4wd otherwise the front wheels would spin the moment i put my foot down for a hill ect. It also gave me more confident when using the brakes, i felt much safer.
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:05 pm

sometimes i use 4wd in the rain - makes it heaps safer for cornering and freeway speeds.
rwd is fun if you have a powerful enough motor and smaller tyres. and youd be suprised like i was how far you can go on a beach with rwd and a lokka :)

DODelaney

Post by DODelaney » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:22 pm

thanks guys
SUBAFURY- the motor is bog stock minus podand zorst, 13'' rims.. and yes it is fun in the dry in RWD
but i want to get a good enough setup and try to keep it in 4WD full time

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:27 pm

DODelaney wrote:thanks guys
SUBAFURY- the motor is bog stock minus podand zorst, 13'' rims..
I can understand driving the car minus the pod and exhaust (would be a tad noisy)....but how does she handle with no rims??
:)

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”