RX Turbo Sedan tranny tunnel narrower?

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Wed May 11, 2011 9:17 am

I think you'll find that "member" is a cross tunnel body brace to add a bit of rigidity to that open part of the floorpan . From memory I had to space mine down a little becase the L AWD gearbox is deeper down the back and wanted to touch it .

BTW I'm not real keen on the complete lack of lateral support on those lift block sections . The trouble is the greater in height they are the more lateral leverage they apply at the body mounting fixing locations . The body shell is braced in these places but those blocks are not .
They really really need some cross braces preferably welded between them so that they don't do the slanted parallelogram thing and break their mounting bolts . You could possibly make up cross plates to weld between them and hole saw some of the material out to save a bit of weight .

A .

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Wed May 11, 2011 11:42 am

discopotato03 wrote:I think you'll find that "member" is a cross tunnel body brace to add a bit of rigidity to that open part of the floorpan . From memory I had to space mine down a little becase the L AWD gearbox is deeper down the back and wanted to touch it .

BTW I'm not real keen on the complete lack of lateral support on those lift block sections . The trouble is the greater in height they are the more lateral leverage they apply at the body mounting fixing locations . The body shell is braced in these places but those blocks are not .
They really really need some cross braces preferably welded between them so that they don't do the slanted parallelogram thing and break their mounting bolts . You could possibly make up cross plates to weld between them and hole saw some of the material out to save a bit of weight .

A .

Good catch A,
You probably wouldnt like what in doing with my propeller bearing either;) Although im using 2x4x1/4" steel tube, once its drivable ( I dont have a welder) im having the rear transmision blocks and propeller bearing blocks crossed braced.
cheers sir
'86 GL, '89 RX, '89 XT6, '90 T'sunami Wagon

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”