Crank Angle Sensor With Aftermarket ECU

How to fix gremlins & general maintenance issues ...
cwinter

Crank Angle Sensor With Aftermarket ECU

Post by cwinter » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:48 pm

Hi guys I've just bought an after market ecu (ems stinger v4).
I currently have an EA82t with a distristributor setup in my car but would like to change to a crank angle sensor setup to run with the new ecu.
I believe it would be best/easiest to use a crank angle sensor that came on the EA82 model engine

Did these only come on the japanese models?

And has anyone used a crank angle sensor from another vehicle on an EA82 for this sort of thing?

Any suggestions, advice, ideas?

Thanks

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:05 pm

The 88-94 subaru MPFI and Turbo engines used an optical distributor that can be used as a crank angle sensor.

Schultzie put a Wolf 3D on his EA82T with the optical distributor. Send him a PM and he should be able to enlighten you.
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

phillatdarwin

Post by phillatdarwin » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:06 am

hi
this right as i are running the some with Wolf 3D on EA82t
Wolf 3D on his EA82T with the optical distributor.

phillatdarwin

Post by phillatdarwin » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:24 pm

i can send u a pic of my it is on the distributor and i are running a wolf as well it was not a subura it is a build in to the distributor by the workshop that wired up my wolf 10years ago but it work very well .

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:48 am

The main give away is that cars with them use hot-wire airflow meters instead of the vane type AFM . Also those CAS type distributors have no vacuum can on the side of them .

The deluxe way to do it is to use that type of CAS but with two or four coils rather than the rotor button and distributor cap system .

Cheers A .

phillatdarwin

Post by phillatdarwin » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:14 am

do u want some pics of my distributor as i can post them today

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:03 pm

Might as well post them up phil... I would :mrgreen:

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

cwinter

Post by cwinter » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:32 pm

Yeah that would be great. I was thinking of using a ca18 cas on the top of the rotor button type distributor and do away with that section and use coils

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:42 am

I'd just use the Subaru CAS and if you don't like the redundant cap make up a cover plate to replace it .

A .

phillatdarwin

crank angle sensor on ea82 for wolf3d

Post by phillatdarwin » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:13 pm

hi all
hear are some pic
Attachments
disse pics resize.jpg
disse pics resize.jpg (49.84 KiB) Viewed 2050 times
disse pics (2) resize.jpg
disse pics (2) resize.jpg (43.4 KiB) Viewed 2047 times
disse pics (1)resize.jpg
disse pics (1)resize.jpg (44.67 KiB) Viewed 2050 times

cwinter

Post by cwinter » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:48 pm

Ok yeah that sounds good disco, the reason why I said ca18 CAS is because I have one already.
Thanks for the pictures phil

phillatdarwin

Post by phillatdarwin » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:08 am

did the pics help u
if u look at it u can see that the pick up is on a castom plate and u have to weld the shafe up all the bits on the inside so it will not move .
5.1.2.1 Rotor Button Alignment
The distributor must be removed from the engine so the distributor shaft can be welded up. This prevents the distributor from performing any
centrifugal advance. The two halves of the shaft can have any orientation to each other. The only important part of the process is that there
be no movement in the shaft once it is welded up.
The distributor must be set up in such a way as to allow as wide as possible an Ignition Timing range. This is achieved by positioning the
rotor button pointing directly at the Cylinder / Rotor 1 Electrode in the distributor cap while the crankshaft is positioned at 22 degrees Before
Top Dead Centre. The Wolf3D has an ignition advance range of 0 – 45 degrees, so this position puts the rotor button right in the middle of its
range.
If the distributor is not set up correctly, the spark may run off the end of the rotor button causing ignition problems.
The diagram below shows an example of a four cylinder distributor set up. The same theory applies to Rotary, 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder and 8
cylinder applications.
Once the distributor is locked, (ie. no mechanical or vacuum advance) in one position, the WOLF3D can take over the Ignition Timing duties.
Step by step rotor button alignment
1. Put the Crankshaft at 22 degrees Before Top Dead Centre
2. Mark on the distributor housing, exactly where the electrode for cylinder 1 is
3. Put the distributor in the distributor hole and by moving the housing, align the rotor button with the mark for cylinder
number 1 electrode
4. Once the rotor button is pointing at the electrode, tighten down the distributor housing
The distributor housing must NOT be moved again. If you are using the pickup inside the distributor as an input trigger
for the Wolf3D, you must move the sensor within the housing to set up the ignition advance, do NOT move the housing
to modify the advance, as the rotor button alignment changed, making the chances for misfire quite high.
this it from the wolf 3d ECU

Return to “Electrical, Wiring and Lighting”