EA to EJ SPEEDO conversions

How to fix gremlins & general maintenance issues ...
AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:11 pm

In that case I will look into connecting mine up for sure. It certainly hasn't caused any issues (that I know of) on either of my EJ20turbo cars to date but I guess it can only work better with it connected.
I agree, later model stuff likely to be more sensitive.

L-Raiser

Post by L-Raiser » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:53 am

jzk25 wrote:A speed sensor code will cause havoc on a turbo engine, it causes an early engine cut at a certain AFM voltage.
On NA engines(gen 2 on at least, can't remember if Gen 1 do) it will trigger the fans to come on permanently and the idle control will not work very well.
Some people don't care about this sort of stuff but it shouldn't be that way. Running around with hard codes in the ecu is not a good thing.
Late model ecu's are very intolerant of lack of vital signals.
jzk25 wrote:Unscrew the SG speed sensor out of the gearbox and screw your L cable in. Speedo now operates. It will not be accurate, but it wouldn't have been accurate after you put big wheels on it anyway. All that's required here is getting the speedo head recallibrated by an instrument technician. They will ask for some basic info like diff ratio and wheel circumference and callibrate it so suit.

To get the signal for the ecu(this is a must, you will have issues without it), you can do two things.
One is to use the reed switch that *may* be in the rear of the speedo head already. This is what I have done previously but it is probably a bit complicated for a beginner so I would go for option 2.

Use a VDO 412-009 speed signal generator. This is a complete kit that allows you to cut the speedo cable and make a join in between houses the signal generator. Add power and earth and connect signal output to the ecu and you are done. This is what I do with brumby's as there is no reed switch in the cluster.
Thank you VERY much for your extremely valuable feedback, as always AL...! :mrgreen:

Kaz
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ScubyRoo

Post by ScubyRoo » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:26 pm

jzk25 wrote:Unscrew the SG speed sensor out of the gearbox and screw your L cable in. Speedo now operates. It will not be accurate, but it wouldn't have been accurate after you put big wheels on it anyway. All that's required here is getting the speedo head recallibrated by an instrument technician. They will ask for some basic info like diff ratio and wheel circumference and callibrate it so suit.
"Instrument technician" - do you mean any auto electrician or are there specific people we should be searching for?
jzk25 wrote: To get the signal for the ecu(this is a must, you will have issues without it), you can do two things.
One is to use the reed switch that *may* be in the rear of the speedo head already. This is what I have done previously but it is probably a bit complicated for a beginner so I would go for option 2.

Use a VDO 412-009 speed signal generator. This is a complete kit that allows you to cut the speedo cable and make a join in between houses the signal generator. Add power and earth and connect signal output to the ecu and you are done. This is what I do with brumby's as there is no reed switch in the cluster.
I have a 92 GX which obviously runs everything ej, so would the above be necessary, or would a recalibration be sufficient?

Sorry for the grave dig folks, but there was another thread just now where a dude was looking for solution to speedo correction in liberty and i came across this older thread and am hoping Al might be able to answer the above questions...

Cheers,
Owen.
The Green Machine is up for sale :(. Lifted, bars, exhausts... View Gumtree ad

Checkers

Post by Checkers » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:11 pm

ScubyRoo wrote:"Instrument technician" - do you mean any auto electrician or are there specific people we should be searching for?

I have a 92 GX which obviously runs everything ej, so would the above be necessary, or would a recalibration be sufficient?

Sorry for the grave dig folks, but there was another thread just now where a dude was looking for solution to speedo correction in liberty and i came across this older thread and am hoping Al might be able to answer the above questions...

Cheers,
Owen.
Instrument technician - these are specific people such as Able Instruments not Auto Elecs

A 92 GX will already have a speed signal for the ECU from the box so if it is out due to wheels etc then you just need to recallibrate.

Return to “Electrical, Wiring and Lighting”