Asap pls

How to fix gremlins & general maintenance issues ...
chook69

Asap pls

Post by chook69 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:28 pm

hi guys! sorry if someone has already posted a thing on this but my heater fan stoped working an now i can smell a strange oder cumming throw the vents.. we cant drive the car unless we keep wipeing the mist away from the frunt window with our hands when its raining.. i have checked the fuse an there all ok an i have pulled out the fan an tested it an it works fine.. it just stoped working one day when we were driving around! can any one tell me what it could be?

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:20 pm

wiring is my best bet. but not sure how the fuse is still good
odour could just be a coincidence

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:47 pm

spike wrote:wiring is my best bet. but not sure how the fuse is still good
odour could just be a coincidence
What sort of smell is it??
I would start from the fuse and wires etc have you got a multimedia?
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:05 am

It'll have something to do with the resistor setup for the fan speed. Try using the fan on the highest setting as this should bypass the resistor, hopefully the fan will work without the smell. If the smell is still there and the fan doesn't work I'd be tracing the wiring (painful) and finding out what's melting/cooking in there as it's definitely not right!

I remember the old torana I had just used a coil of wire as the slow fan speed resistor, this was mounted and exposed in the air duct after the fan to keep it cool...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

phantomD

Post by phantomD » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:47 am

Something is toast. It's either your fan switch or the wiring associated with it.

chook69

Post by chook69 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:09 am

hmmm ok thanx guys!
well anyway i ran my own wire from the positive wire thats conected to the fan its self an conected the wire to another positive part of a plug under the dash witch runs the fan speed an now the fan works but it only works on no 4 an its to high an heats the car up to much that we need to wind down the windows abit.. "so there must be a broken wire some were"... if i can get the fan speed going at no2 (sweet) ill leave it like it for a while untill i get the money for a techy too look at.. but for now i need to find the no2 fan speed wire.. anyone know what colour the wire is?

chook69

Post by chook69 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:25 am

ok guys! this what i have done to work my heater!!!!
i ran a blue wire conecting from a b/wite wire from the fan then ran it to a sepret fuse, then to a y/green wire inside the removerble panal as show in photo

is the new wire i ran ok?:roll:
Attachments
IMG_0046.jpg
IMG_0046.jpg (93.9 KiB) Viewed 3014 times
IMG_0045.jpg
IMG_0045.jpg (93 KiB) Viewed 3014 times
IMG_0047.jpg
IMG_0047.jpg (92.57 KiB) Viewed 3016 times

kj0

Post by kj0 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:35 pm

I would be looking at the switch itself. Not sure what car you have, but a standard turn switch that has only 4 settings (5 inc. no fan) will have a series of prongs and each one will have an individual wire, So I would get out the multimedia and turn your switch to no.2 and check the Multimedia. .. My GX is slightly different, it's not set by prongs as there are too many settings, so it's like a Volume knob and only 3 wires or something.

When it is set on high, is the oder there?

chook69

Post by chook69 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:01 pm

kj0 wrote:I would be looking at the switch itself. Not sure what car you have, but a standard turn switch that has only 4 settings (5 inc. no fan) will have a series of prongs and each one will have an individual wire, So I would get out the multimedia and turn your switch to no.2 and check the Multimedia. .. My GX is slightly different, it's not set by prongs as there are too many settings, so it's like a Volume knob and only 3 wires or something.

no theres no oder there now.. the wire i ran only works the no 3 fan speed.. i have preplaced the fan speed switch an its still dead... maybe its the coils? did the liberty LX heater come out with coils.. becouse someone showed me there heater coils, but that was on a L serise brunby heater system

chook69

Post by chook69 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:02 pm

kj0 wrote:I would be looking at the switch itself. Not sure what car you have, but a standard turn switch that has only 4 settings (5 inc. no fan) will have a series of prongs and each one will have an individual wire, So I would get out the multimedia and turn your switch to no.2 and check the Multimedia. .. My GX is slightly different, it's not set by prongs as there are too many settings, so it's like a Volume knob and only 3 wires or something.

no theres no oder there now.. the wire i ran only works the no 3 fan speed.. i have replaced the fan speed switch an its still dead... maybe its the coils did the liberty LX heater come out with coils?.. becouse someone showed me there heater coils, but that was on a L serise brunby heater system

justin35

Post by justin35 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:49 pm

Gday usually the fan will stop on certain speeds if the resisters are blown,,near your clutch pedal just to the left is a plug(i think its a 6 plug with some yellow wires)take out the 2 screws and take out the plug(it contains the resisters for the 4 fan speeds)replace that and your done..

chook69

Post by chook69 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:01 pm

justin35 wrote:Gday usually the fan will stop on certain speeds if the resisters are blown,,near your clutch pedal just to the left is a plug(i think its a 6 plug with some yellow wires)take out the 2 screws and take out the plug(it contains the resisters for the 4 fan speeds)replace that and your done..
thanx.. its auto, but should be in the same place

justin35

Post by justin35 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:11 pm

if not there look behind your glove box(will need to take out the backing to the glove box)but it definatly sounds like thats the problem,,i have had the same thing happen before and took me ages to find it out.

chook69

Post by chook69 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:58 am

cool! thanx justin.. is this the fan speed resister? theres a wite cover on it an i cant see any coils
if it is! how much you reken that part will cost? (cant get to an auto place untill tomorrow some time)
Attachments
IMG_0050.jpg
IMG_0050.jpg (99.16 KiB) Viewed 3015 times

justin35

Post by justin35 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:08 pm

that looks like the culprit ,replace that and you should be in business again

chook69

Post by chook69 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:14 pm

justin35 wrote:that looks like the culprit ,replace that and you should be in business again
thanx! your a champ...:D

Return to “Electrical, Wiring and Lighting”