thermo fan switch location

How to fix gremlins & general maintenance issues ...
mistergTrx

thermo fan switch location

Post by mistergTrx » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:05 pm

hi, just wondering where abouts i would find the switch for the temp sensor that activates the fans
i have a 1992 subaru liberty that isnt switching the fans on, ive replaced the thermostat, relays have been checked, checked for leaks
but still the engine gets hot and the fans only come on when i bridge the connectors

thank you

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:11 am

Bridge the connectors? What connectors?

Your fans are controlled by the ECU. The sensor that tells the ECU what the engine temp is, is called the coolant temp sensor. The CTS is located on the water cross pipe under the inlet manifold. You'll see 2 sensors, the single wire One is the dash cluster temp sender and the 2 wire one is the coolant temp sensor.

I would have thought you would have got a 'check engine' light if this sensor wasn't working? Also thought your fans would be on all the time. Maybe there is other issues here???
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:15 am

Oh.. just had a thought... Are you connecting the self diagnostic connectors? Are you having codes come up? If so, what codes are you getting?
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Return to “Electrical, Wiring and Lighting”