Dead power window

How to fix gremlins & general maintenance issues ...
Vortex75

Dead power window

Post by Vortex75 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:25 pm

Hey, the passenger side power window in my 89 Vortex has stopped as off this arvo, I've only had the car about a month and it sounded a little tired when operating since I've owned it but it worked. Any ideas how to fix it and what it's going to cost? Thanks
Canny

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:16 pm

Mine had the same problem, in my case the master switch needed to be replaced, ( I found one on US ebay for 50 US dollars + postage) and the contacts inside the switch on the passenger door needed cleaning and tidying up.

It was a fiddly job but I got it going again as well don't throw away your old switch (if you get a new one) as the toggles and contacts are interchangeable.

otherwise you may need to play with wiring in either door ( I did this as well) A voltmeter, a spare battery and some extra wire comes in handy :)

Do yourself a favour if you havent already and download the FSM from the bottom left hand corner of this page downloads.php?do=cat&id=5

there are 4 seperate downloads with all of the information you need for your vortex.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Vortex75

Post by Vortex75 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:06 pm

Thanks mate. I already have the sections in ring binders, they came with my car. And I've got a spare master switch. If the switch goes for the passenger door off the master switch does that mean the switch on the passenger door won't work?
Canny

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:25 pm

Yes that is correct, my master control passenger switch stopped working and the passenger window did not work any more. when I replaced the whole switch it worked once again.

I found that while I had the skin off the door ( a fun job) greasing the tracks for the rollers of the window arms made the windows go up alot quicker.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:36 pm

and where any glass rubs rubber strips - silicone spray on the rubber.

Vortex75

Post by Vortex75 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:50 pm

Thanks guys!

Vortex75

Post by Vortex75 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:14 pm

Pulled the switch out today, the passenger side switch was broken, one of the legs was snapped off. Replaced it and checked contacts, all good, put it back in but still no power to passenger side window

Canny

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:19 am

Not sure but is there one of those power window lock switches? I can't remember it in my old vortex but I have them in my later model cars. It's like a kiddie lock to stop the windows from operating
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:14 pm

My left window is s l o w going up and down, always has been. Will need to keep it up just in case, until I find/make/tim/space to sort it out.

Return to “Electrical, Wiring and Lighting”