To remake small loom terminal bits needed

How to fix gremlins & general maintenance issues ...
steptoe
Master Member

To remake small loom terminal bits needed

Post by steptoe » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:25 pm

where ? help? who? for those that read the bit that shows up when mouse pointer on query

I have a little loom of wires that has deteriorated due to age and under bonnet temps and Subaru parts manula does not even list it.

I could make myself a new one if I could get hold of the special terminals used.

I need right angle female spades - 4mm ones,
and female pins of the round loom connectors use on efi L Series at least. Where do you get these little fiddly buggers from?

Or as a last resort where can I send it to be remade.***ANY tips welcomed

For those in the know I am talking L Series mpfi turbo 3 plug ECU,
just the loom that goes from dizzy (with spades inside on igniter module) to knock control box and knock sensor.

I may be able to resurrect the special long needle style bullet terminals (female) of a scrounged multi pin terminal joiner but may compromise quality of connection

Jonno

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:35 pm

mmm ive got an ashdown ingram cataloge and thats got a lot of little stuff in it but yeah.
EVD will be able to do it but it seems your not looking to pay straight off, pm me as a last resort if you want

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:51 pm

Hmm, EVD , wanna expand on that a little for me to chase up? Oh, gotcha, EVD one of your family divisions? yeah, Ingrams ashdowns not a bad starting point. You reckon you got bits to do it or would EVD have to go on same chase I have started? pretty certain these big round plugs are unique to L Series mpfi not carbied - just another project box to start in the shed for whiling over. Not an emergency situation just yet.

I need to make a diagram to follow, measure it, treasure it then start disecting to retain the terminals. Probably use unde dash wiring stripped out. Be nice if a part number could be had to compare new price if available - but not showing up in old L Parts bks at dealer

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:02 pm

technically EVD isnt a family devision its just a company who build bits for us and we have a deal. theyd have to search but chances are they would find it cause they could point them out easily, where as we say a 4 mm it could be 16 guage i dunno what they measure
get on google and go to the bosch site and Ingrams ashdowns and try it in there search engine.
im not sure about the plug but they may be branded id imagine bosch or mitsubishi maybe another place to start

tony

Post by tony » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:18 pm

Why not unpick the old ones? You know they fit. Post a pic I may have some old stock. But give the size (width, depth etc ) as there are a few.

Chris_Rogers
General Member

Post by Chris_Rogers » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:16 pm

yazaki did a lot of those. see if you can find any markings on the plugs. I know the ones you need but need images.(Esp the markings.)
Audio Express

1987 HR31 Nissan skyline
1990 R32 Nissan Skyline GTS4

2006 Holden Combo - work van :)

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:29 am

I think i have that loom in my RX

Im not gonna use it cos im going to use an EJ20G

Do you want it?
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:21 pm

Thanks to Mark T'subaru. I did not get these on new posts

Need to retrain in picture posting and record keeping.

Loom may not be correct word. essentially it is the wiring that comes out with the dizzy on 3 plug ECU dizzy D4R84-49, intact wiring goes to knock sensor in shielded cable two pin black plug , has a seven pins in use round plug black about one inch in diameter and a few to the coil hook up I think.

To unpick the tight crimps on the pins nearly impossible, got pins out of plugs and undone insulation crimp - may persevere when my snuggie arrives in the mail :) :)

Coming back in when got time.

Jonno

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:26 am

Try this

http://img340.imageshack.us/g/mainplug.jpg/

OK. I got this far with very little effort. Adrian ! You gotta try imageshack it was very easy to get this far.

I have clicked on the link and the pics are there.

The main plug is seven pins in use, the knock sensor plug is simply two wires

and for the kB concious, they are only under 50kB

Will go looking for markings next for Chris.

Also got gethelp@vwsubaru.com still searching their listings etc, sounds like a challenge for John Gue, sounds really helpful too

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:52 am

Got a reply from the guys n US that Chris Rogers posted up as being good source of old stock (email above)

Greetings John,

Our search for a dsitributor harness was not completely in vain.Even though it is no longer available through Subaru of America, I was able to come up with two part numbers for the harness that may be of help to you..part#22183AA100
which fits production dates of may 1984-through september-1985
and part#22183AA090 which fits production dates july 1985 through september 1986 both of these harnesses were used on RX turbos with vac advance distributors.

And how is this for bending over backwards!!

In addition I have a local breaker yard checking for used distributors which may still have the harnesses attached

Carl Scholz and John Gue

And now I have finally overcome pic size resizing (no longer email to self to resize!) I can get some shots and details up here to look at with ID markings and pin dimensions.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:23 am

I must operate on a six month cycle...here I am nearly six months later with a relatively easy answer

http://www.narva.com.au/products/browse ... ated-trade

features both the right angle or flag terminals and look below - the weather proof terminals that I will need to tinker with this loom idea and of course things close down until the 10th of January. I may be lucky to find the warehouse operates Fri morning 24/12 to get things on the move!!

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:54 am

Looks like your very close to fixing up a new knock sensor harness Jonno:), and about the 6 month cycle thng....some things a guy just needs to ease into;)
Cheers, mark
'86 GL, '89 RX, '89 XT6, '90 T'sunami Wagon

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:30 pm

Yeah just happen to have a second 3P distributor and coil/knock box loom kicking around in the cave . Saved my life because Ellie's original distributors ignition module died a while back so Steve stuck the spare in and actually used the cars original loom to the dizzy and module pins .

Those round L Series plugs are a real mongrel and its VERY difficult to have a win pulling them apart . One of my 86 RX's engine harness to body harness plugs had a faulty pin connector that somehow worked for many years though it was dodgy .
Steve's answer was to splice in a pair of GM style connectors - cannon connectors I think they're called , or was it Weather pack , and all's good .
I think this is the answer for sets of factory connectors and its pretty straightforward though shielded wires can be interesting .
The stumbling block is when the connector joins to a sensor with some OE style and it's not easy to get .
Sometimes you can luck out and find good ones from other Japanese cars of the same year because often they use the same electricals suppliers . Or just be like I was and hoard all the 3 plug bits you can find on L's and Vortex's .

A .

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:16 am

got the expensive little buggers through ripco sooner than expected, now need to knock out the bigger size crimp teeth of my Utilux No. 61 pliers to avoid crushing the terminal when I crimp the wires in (someday)
PLaying with hoarded bits now

Return to “Electrical, Wiring and Lighting”