Door switch wiring

How to fix gremlins & general maintenance issues ...
xaymaca

Door switch wiring

Post by xaymaca » Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:27 am

Does anyone have the wiring diagram specifically for the driver's side door switch of an MY (Brumby if possible, but should be same as wagon).

My interior light isn't turning on when I open the door, only on the driver's side - passenger works fine.

I checked the switch and it's not broken, i checked the connector closest to the switch and that was fine. I don't know where it goes to and where it connects, hence the wiring diagram needed!

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:45 am

Try and earth the wire to the chassy that comes from the door switch. Be sure it is a good earth point. It is unlikely that it's something to do with the wiring else where. Sounds to me that the contacts in the switch that earth the wire to the body is dirty or on the body is dirty.

Dave

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:28 am

Adding to what dave has said, is the light on the dash coming up? If not in the dash assembly there is a diode (for each door) which could have gone open circut. It could also be the wiring to the dash or dirty connection which would cause this problem.
Matt
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

xaymaca

Post by xaymaca » Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:27 pm

I bypassed the switch by connecting both wires together without the switch, that didn't work.

The dash light doesn't work either, so both the interior light and the dash light are out.

This diode, how possible is it that is has blown?

And as for the loom, where does that run in the Brumby? I'm guessing it's up the rear corner of the cab, onto the light and then down the A pillar to the dash?

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:14 pm

First step short out the Green and Black wire to a good earth on the body.
If the lights (inside/dash) came on, the problem is on the earth side. To fix this follow the earth back clean the conact and reconnect. Also check the wire for continuity of the wire
If the lights (inside/dash) Don't came on, the problem is either the wire to dash, the diode. To check this pull the bottom of the dash apart and disconnect the big round connector on the back of the instrument cluster, and connect to the Green and Black wire on the connect. Check the continuity between here and Green and Black wireon the back of the switch.
If this is open circuit ran a new wire.
If not it is most likely the diode. To replace this diode you will need a soldering iron. If it is this let me know so i can explain how to replace.

The loom runs from the switch to the instrument cluster, behind the plastics on the bottom sill and up into the dash. The wire for the light then cames from the dash down throught the same path and up the "B" pillar from memory. It is a long time since i did mine.....
Let us know how you go... good luck...
Matt
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

Return to “Electrical, Wiring and Lighting”