Kelvin vs lumen????

How to fix gremlins & general maintenance issues ...
Corax

Kelvin vs lumen????

Post by Corax » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:38 am

Hey Suba Dudes,

Got what is possibly a dumb question, but when you go to buy a headlight globe it usually states the globes kelvin output ( ie 4500k ). Why is this more important than the luman input? I thought that kelvin was a way of measuring heat while luman measured how much light is given off. Surely in this case light output is more important than heat output. Or have I got the whole thing wrong? Thanks in advance for clearing this up.

Cheers,
Corax.

Mr Top Hat

Post by Mr Top Hat » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:54 am

Corax wrote:Hey Suba Dudes,

Got what is possibly a dumb question, but when you go to buy a headlight globe it usually states the globes kelvin output ( ie 4500k ). Why is this more important than the luman input? I thought that kelvin was a way of measuring heat while luman measured how much light is given off. Surely in this case light output is more important than heat output. Or have I got the whole thing wrong? Thanks in advance for clearing this up.

Cheers,
Corax.
im pretty sure kelvin is for colour not heat so like those cars with HID's there colour is somthing like 6000K which is why they look kind of blue.
most halogen bulbs are close to 3000k

and lumen is light output. both of these things are important when choosing a light bulb

hope this helps
1990 L series wagon Ej22

i didn't realize this image was so large :-O

Jimmy G

Kelvin vs Lumen

Post by Jimmy G » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:42 pm

The "Kelvin" relates, in this case, to colour temperature - there is very good Wiki on it : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:02 pm

I tend to find lower number of kelvins ie. 4000k a better light output than higher kelvins.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

wrxer

Post by wrxer » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:22 pm

agreed, kelvin is the frequency of light output and lumen is the brightness. 1 lumen is 1 candleworth of light. as ap says, the lights with the best penetration are the 4000k ones, the 6000k are bright but dont penetrate well and the 3000k ones are golden yellow and not the best either, they reckon the 3000k ones get better over time but i pulled mine as the 4000k ones were best
"UNDERSTEER" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"OVERSTEER" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"HORSEPOWER" is how fast you hit the fence.
"TORQUE" is how far you take the fence with you.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
If it works, pull it apart to see why.

Return to “Electrical, Wiring and Lighting”