Ignition barrel

How to fix gremlins & general maintenance issues ...
openflame06

Ignition barrel

Post by openflame06 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:12 pm

Getting the brumby ready for roadworthy, turns out the ignition decides to stop working correctly.... turn the car to On and doesnt register as on.

Just wondering if anyone else has replace these before, I understand that normally you get a new key and igintion barrel Ive just never had to do it before so not sure of what to do.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:21 pm

check to make sure the wiring in the back is in place properly before you go replacing it, as well check your fuses and all the wiring on the back of the speedo cluster. I found out just recently that my "faulty ignition" was loose wiring as well check the ignition module for hairline cracks in the contacts at the back

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

1111giles

Post by 1111giles » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:58 pm

TOONGA wrote:check to make sure the wiring in the back is in place properly before you go replacing it, as well check your fuses and all the wiring on the back of the speedo cluster. I found out just recently that my "faulty ignition" was loose wiring as well check the ignition module for hairline cracks in the contacts at the back

TOONGA
I had the exact same problem - just like Toonga says check for hairline cracks in the back of the switch (drop the two bolts out of the steering coloum to make removal far easier!! :D)
Despite it only being hair line these small cracks WILL stop a current passing !

Check out these images one shows the problem the other a very cheap quick and certain fix ! Careful and accurate soldering works a treat - if you cant do this yourself its worth paying a good electrician to do this for you and will be a bucket load cheaper than a replacement part !
Cheers and good luck from snowy UK !
Attachments
Ignition switch 004.jpg
Ignition switch 004.jpg (99.2 KiB) Viewed 1246 times
Scooby MV Brumby Ignition Switch 003.jpg
Scooby MV Brumby Ignition Switch 003.jpg (98.32 KiB) Viewed 1249 times
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cheers
Giles.
*Scooby MV / Brumby - Current project & pet truck Weber Carby'd Ea81.Air/Con.4WDiscs.Speedliner tub. Foz seats. Digital Sound. Floodlit interior light. Cobra Security. Gear Shifter Lock + loadsa new parts.
SVX - Silky Sexy & Smooth - just like me ;)
GLF (MY series) Hatchy - "Project 2012"
*Fozzie 2.0 Forester Sport - Wifey's daily driver
*Ozzie Outback Diesel SE nav Spec 2012 MY 6 speeder - My daily driver
* 'Half Cut' Oz Brumby its now totally in bits !:mrgreen

openflame06

Post by openflame06 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:34 pm

Thanks guys. No cracks on mine at all. basically if i hold the key at a certain point (just before start) it registers as on so im pretty sure its something inside and not the connectors. Plus two pieces of metal fell out of it when i took it off so i think thats not a good sign anyway

1111giles

Post by 1111giles » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:45 pm

openflame06 wrote: Plus two pieces of metal fell out of it when i took it off so i think thats not a good sign anyway
OOOOhhhhh -sounds a bit fatal to me mate ! - I'd just bang on and change the thing if I were you !

Best of luck :mrgreen:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cheers
Giles.
*Scooby MV / Brumby - Current project & pet truck Weber Carby'd Ea81.Air/Con.4WDiscs.Speedliner tub. Foz seats. Digital Sound. Floodlit interior light. Cobra Security. Gear Shifter Lock + loadsa new parts.
SVX - Silky Sexy & Smooth - just like me ;)
GLF (MY series) Hatchy - "Project 2012"
*Fozzie 2.0 Forester Sport - Wifey's daily driver
*Ozzie Outback Diesel SE nav Spec 2012 MY 6 speeder - My daily driver
* 'Half Cut' Oz Brumby its now totally in bits !:mrgreen

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:21 pm

when you say "does not register" I take it you mean you get no dash lights? as in no oil, alt or warning lights.

The ign switch is a two part beast - the locking key barrel and the electrical section at the back end

Return to “Electrical, Wiring and Lighting”