Brumby Radiator Fans

How to fix gremlins & general maintenance issues ...
RX Coupe

Brumby Radiator Fans

Post by RX Coupe » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:46 am

Hi all,

I have a 92 Brumby and both radiator fans used to cut in at the same time. The air-con used to work also at the same time. The air-con has since stopped working (out of gas) and now only the one fan cuts in. Is this related?

Cheers,
Justin
Cars: 02 Subaru Outback
85 Subaru RX Turbo Coupe (sold)
92 Subaru Brumby (sold)

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:01 pm

Are you sure you don't have to turn interior fan on first before AC fan will start up?

There is a pressure switch near headlight LHS that I have bridged with a blade fuse to get fan going, but only when interior fan is also on. Only used fuse coz it was handy way of connecting two female spade terminals.

RX Coupe

Post by RX Coupe » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:33 pm

The right side fan cuts in for the engine temperature but the left hand side fan no longer work at all. Both fans always used to cut in at the same time.

Cheers,
92 Subaru Brumby (sold)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:09 pm

Both fans should come on at all times regardless of the state of the AC gas system.

I'd check the fan to make sure it's working ok, if it checks out there's an issue with the wiring for the AC system...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:50 pm

Right fan replaces the crank-driven fan on non-AC fitted cars, and is thermo-controlled.
Left fan I am pretty sure is only when the AC is running...

When I retro-fitted the AC on my Brumby and removed the crank-fan, only the RHS thermo-fan would operate in day-to-day conditions (including a 40C day), and I've never checked if the LHS fan was in operation. Of course, I could have screwed up the wiring when I fitted the AC :)
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:11 pm

You say you lost pressure...have you tried to bridge the pressure switch yet??

phantomD

Post by phantomD » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:21 am

El_Freddo wrote:Both fans should come on at all times regardless of the state of the AC gas system.
I can confirm that Bennie is correct. You have a busted (or unplugged) relay on the strut tower or some other problem with the AC loom...or the fan itself.

rubisubi

Post by rubisubi » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:10 am

I had a brumby with stanadard air con and the second fan only came on when the aircon was being used. All other times only one fan worked when it got hot.

mud_king91

Post by mud_king91 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:56 am

As a mechanic iv always known one fan to work off engine temp and the is only supposed to work when the air con is turned on... unless your running a oil cooled turbo

phantomD

Post by phantomD » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:17 pm

Well maybe there are different looms running around for the A/C in the MY cars. I'm running an 83 approx air con loom and both fans cut in at the same time no matter if they are triggered by turning on the a/c or by the radiator temp sender.

mud_king91

Post by mud_king91 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:37 pm

I made that post based on most cars subaru could be differentr tho

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:32 pm

phantomD wrote:Well maybe there are different looms running around for the A/C in the MY cars. I'm running an 83 approx air con loom and both fans cut in at the same time no matter if they are triggered by turning on the a/c or by the radiator temp sender.
You could be on to something there Phantom - Sunnie the Brumby has an AC system from a 1984 MY touring wagon - both fans always come on together with either the use of the AC or from sitting in traffic with the temp switch.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

RX Coupe

Post by RX Coupe » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:05 am

It has been a long time but I finally have the problem sorted. I tried bridging the pressure switch which did not work and lot of other different things but did not have a wiring diagram. Took it to an auto electrician today who found an inline fuse by the battery and near the headlight faulty. It didn't appear to be blown at all and the air con gas was low. After the air con was regassed and the fuse replaced all is good now. Both thermo fans come on when the engine temperature switch kicks in an the air con is off. Just a clean up and the Brumby will be for sale in a few weeks time.
92 Subaru Brumby (sold)

revmax

Post by revmax » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:24 am

Both Rubisubi and Mud King are correct.
The Drivers side fan works of the thermo switch in the radaitor which is what is still happening corectly as RX states.
The AC should be on a seperate circuit and the passenger side fan will/should only operate while the AC is running.
My AC doesen't work cause I took the belt off and neither does the fan, I have a fealing there is a switch that kicks in once the gas is running and as you have no gas the fan will not kick in.
"THE BRUMBY ! , Your not taking the Brumby I just dry cleaned the mud flaps."
Current
00 Outback with class, SOHC EJ25 auto 240,068ks
"B1" 90 Brumby with character 271,800K EA81 (But soon 5speed,103,000k EJ202)
"B2" wrecked and crushed
"B3" 89 Bush Bashing Brumby (BeeRumBee) Kept a Bucca
"B4" 89 Black Brumby (wam balam ) Kept at Kempsey
"B5" 92 Brumby (sold it)
"B6" 88 Beige Brumby
"W1" 83 wagon 308,000 AC and alot of rust repairs. (Wanda)
Brumby Trailer (Sulky)
LUV THAT BRUM !
RevMax Hobbies

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Electrical, Wiring and Lighting”