MY A/C loom issues

How to fix gremlins & general maintenance issues ...
phantomD

MY A/C loom issues

Post by phantomD » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:22 pm

Hi all,

Merry Christmas! Does anybody have suggestions as to what could be causing the following problems after a/c install?
  • Car blows up radiator temperature switches (seems like there's a heck of a lot of amperage being pulled through the switch?)
  • All lighting flickering very noticeably (headlights, dash lights, number plate lights, interior light)
  • Slimline radiator fan cuts out when headlights are switched on
  • Radiator fans run when ignition switch is on ACC?
Would it be that the a/c is picking up power from the wrong place? Also a bad ground somewhere?

I'd like to be armed with some expectations before I throw the car at an auto sparky.

Many thanks.

tambox

Post by tambox » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:43 pm

Could be a wiring problem around the fan and thermoswitch connection points.
Depends on the loom and the year of car.
Check your connections in this area, if the wrong plugs are on the loom, its possible to plug the wrong things into each other.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:21 am

Did you do the install?

555Ron

Post by 555Ron » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:54 pm

phantomD wrote:
  • Slimline radiator fan cuts out when headlights are switched on
  • Radiator fans run when ignition switch is on ACC?
Would it be that the a/c is picking up power from the wrong place? Also a bad ground somewhere?
Phantom, those two items in the list are how the wiring harness should be operating. The Fans will come on in the accessories position if the interior fan is on AND the A/C is switched on. Turn either off and they should turn off. The slimline fan will turn off with the lights on while the other fan keeps operating with the A/C on. (not 100% sure but the slimline may kick back in if the thermoswitch kicks in?)

Does the clutch-pack on the compressor kick in? It definitely sounds like a bad ground wire somewhere to me, check the condition of all the grounds. I had an actuator go open circuit and it turned out the be a bad compression fitted banana connection in the kit... It looked fine and didn't pull apart to easily either.

There should be an earth on the A/C relay mount strut tower, one on the engine and one on the frame. I'm not too sure where the others are...?

phantomD

Post by phantomD » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:01 pm

555Ron wrote:Phantom, those two items in the list are how the wiring harness should be operating. The Fans will come on in the accessories position if the interior fan is on AND the A/C is switched on. Turn either off and they should turn off. The slimline fan will turn off with the lights on while the other fan keeps operating with the A/C on. (not 100% sure but the slimline may kick back in if the thermoswitch kicks in?)
Thanks. The fans run on acc whether or not the cabin fan/ac is switched on. And my temperature gauge marches steadily towards hot in stop/start traffic with only one fan running so I may have to modify the harness there.

Clutch pack is working fine.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:50 pm

in the recent heat I have slid the control to the red zone and internal fan on - helps keep the rad temp down a bit.Will do nothing for your AC.

What should help would be manual over ride of each electric fan gives better driver control over things but more to watch

Return to “Electrical, Wiring and Lighting”