1982 MY wagon wiring overhaul.

How to fix gremlins & general maintenance issues ...
Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:21 pm

Got the key switch wired up. got dark but and I couldnt be bothered fumbling around in the dark, so I left it there. Just need to relocate the starter relay which is currently hanging by its ground wire. There is actually an Identical relay already mounted up with the other relays. I cant remember what It was driving but It may just become my starter relay.

After that, just the power windows, headlights, indicators, brake lights, tail lights, reverse lights, dash, etc etc.

Just makes it depressing typing that out :rolleyes:

Regards

Doug

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:31 pm

Subydoug wrote:I donno yet. Might just wire it up and see what happens. Worst case scenario is it doesn't work
If it's the small type sender then the gauge will read full before you start then drop to zero once the engine is running
Subydoug wrote:After that, just the power windows, headlights, indicators, brake lights, tail lights, reverse lights, dash, etc etc.

Keep it focused Doug.. you'll get there
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:32 pm

Top effort mate - and kudos to you!
Subydoug wrote:After that, just the power windows, headlights, indicators, brake lights, tail lights, reverse lights, dash, etc etc.

If that's depressing don't try an EJ conversion ;)

Keep up the good work though!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:39 pm

RSR 555 wrote:If it's the small type sender then the gauge will read full before you start then drop to zero once the engine is running

Keep it focused Doug.. you'll get there
Hmm, it does kinda looks small looking at it. When I get the motor going again Il test it, so maybe tomorrow.

Haha, nah Im not loosing focus. Its just all the "biodegradable accessories" as I like to refere them as. Whats wrong with the simple hand crank :rolleyes:.

Will be wiring up the fuel pump and starter in a minute. After that, headlights, indicators. Then Brakes and windows. I still need to tear the rear loom out that runs along the drivers side floor. Once thats out it will be a breeze to finish. Plenty of stuff to do under the hood at the moment though. Measure, strip, Crimp, solder takes time :cool:.

To make things even better though, been flat out at work making cable looms for the last few days :p. cant get away from it.

EJ swap is inevitably going to happen to the vortex Bennie. Just a matter of time ;).

Regards

Doug

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:51 pm

Well, wired up the fuel pump's, swapped the starter over to the other bosch relay that was already mounted up, hooked up the fuel pump and coil to the ignition in the fuse box, key to the fuse box, slapped a battery in it and,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6X6Ro7L-Ns

Yes, video is crap, dont need to hear it :cool:.

Most of those twin core wires (green and white) are what one of the previous owners decided to use as speaker wire from the stereo and I havent removed it yet. I also havent rapped any of the main wires together yet as there are plenty more to go yet and Il do them all together. Mainly wanted to get it starting so I can move it around because Im getting sick of pushing it :razz:.

But man, that ea81 puuuurrrrrrr, sooooo smoooth! Oohhhh I missed that sound! That motor could rock me to sleep :D.

Anyway, will just continue to wire things up after work. Should get it finished this weekend (I hope, getting sick of driving the vortex :rolleyes:)

Regards

Doug

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:37 am

Subydoug wrote:getting sick of driving the vortex
WHAT !! are you taking medication??
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:36 pm

What can I say, I like my wagon.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:47 pm

I do too.. I think that's why we have 5 in the family

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

GOD

Post by GOD » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:06 pm

Does this overhaul include replacing crusty old connectors? If so, where do you get new ones?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1993 EA82/EJ18/EJ22/EJ22/EJ20/EJ22 L Series perpetual project

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:24 pm

Yeah, stripping everything out, replacing what looks crappy. Most of the time corroded spade connectors can cause most of the issues. Any local auto shop should carry connectors. I picked up a 200pce kit from SCA for around 20 bucks.

Alternator is going now. Just trying to work out the pinout on these old relays.

Doug

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:10 pm

Well,

got the alternator charging the battery, hooked up the headlights and got the hi and low beam working, here is a clip of Hi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gduTpHsK73g

Poor old headlights are pretty sad. Around 2.5A on low and 3.5A on hi (each). 60w on low and 170W on hi.........Cranking out the POWER!! :p
There is going to be lots of tidy up after all the wires are in place. Nothing too hard :cool:. One of the relays in the car was dead. Probably why my thermo fan stopped working :rolleyes:. Not to worry, Ive had it hooked up to a switch in the dash for a while now.

As some of you may notice though, my wiring is slightly different to the original. I havnt run the battery signal up into the fuse box, then back out to the lights. Instead, all the high current wiring is under the bonnet, and Il just run some wires out to trigger the relays. Just from looking at it Id say its at least 20% brighter.

Regards

Doug

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:48 pm

Hey Fella's

Got a serious question now, anyone know what the relay under the seat is for? I was going to pin it back but then about 2 milliseconds later something terrible happenned....Some crazy nut head went bananna's with some sidecutters :rolleyes:

Yep, no need to check for a pulse, its deffinately dead :p. Also, there's another bloody thing up inside the rear pannels near the fuel filler. Jeez subaru didnt hold back on this thing did they :mad:. Its all going in favor of what I think is a simplier, more robust setup.

Any thoughts on the relay would be cool. Im probably going to utilize it for something else.

Regards

Doug

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:27 pm

Relay would be for Power windows, there should also be a resistor under drivers seat ... ;)

This was taken from here : power + windows

Rear stop lamp checker would be the other one ... :)

P.S. - You'll have trouble with dash lamps if you decide to remove that one !

Cheers, Bantum ...

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:37 pm

Well half of them didnt work properly to start with and I didnt hook up the other half when I swapped the dash so I guess I got nothing to loose ;). Yes there was a resistor with the relay. Also looks like someone has replaced the resistor recently. Probably only going to wire up the front windows, at least to start with. I dont have rear seats anymore so I dont really use them.

Regards

Doug

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:40 pm

Full on sleeper van with pull out drawers.. do it.. do it bellisimo

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:27 pm

and ferchrissake watch ya fingers if playing with those power window units, dunno how i kept all four fingers when the switches were in operation in a door i was fiddling with !

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:46 pm

RSR 555 wrote:Full on sleeper van with pull out drawers.. do it.. do it bellisimo
Your not far off. Difference is Im young enough to sleep anywhere :p. Back is strictly for cargo. I pretty much had to pull them out because They didnt have any seatbelts, they had been repaired pretty poorly with chipboard and I didnt need them. I also sold my van around the same time so I had cargo space withdrawal :rolleyes:. Unfortunately the van had to go....it wasnt a subaru.

Steptoe, good call there mate! Make mince meat of the digits thats for sure! Though I probably wont have to remove the mechanism's.

In other news, Tail lights have been wired up. Just need to connect them to their switches respectively. Rear Defog is shot. Dont think I can be bothered fixing it at the moment. Im deffinately going to be running a few spare cores up to the back junction. Should make life easier down the track. Will be getting up early tomorrow and hopefully finishing it off. Wiring the dash is going to be annoying because of my inability to find those round connector crimps. May have to become a bit creative there.

Regards

Doug

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:33 pm

Well, spent all of today wiring, wrapping and testing and Im still not done. Still to go are the windows and the wipers. They can wait though as I need the car tomorrow. Still need to tidy up the wiring under the bonnet, hook up the temp, oil, techo and thermo fans and It will be good to go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYWfKZTY ... e=youtu.be

Alternator's charge seems to be going a little high?

Anyway. Ive been going for 10 hours now, time for some food and Il finish it off tomorrow.

Regards

Doug

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:36 pm

keen, is all I can say

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:39 pm

Man I love that instrument cluster, I need one :) Really great work on the wiring, and in such a short time. The crusty relays and things you mentioned are making me think I need to strip out my wiring and give it an overhaul...dunno if I could make it work at the end though :?
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Return to “Electrical, Wiring and Lighting”